Minor League Hockey Shake-up...coming

JackieMoon

13 minutes ago, kiwi_canadian said:

Apparently the Eagles did try and return it but the ECHL never responded.

https://www.coloradoeagles.com/news/detail/statement-from-eagles-owner-martin-lind-regarding-kelly-cup

We totally were waiting for you at the Applebees, why didn't you come?

• Like 4
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

1 hour ago, kiwi_canadian said:

Apparently the Eagles did try and return it but the ECHL never responded.

https://www.coloradoeagles.com/news/detail/statement-from-eagles-owner-martin-lind-regarding-kelly-cup

They said in the article that the Eagles claim they've tried to return it, but how can you fail at that? Pay someone to drive it to the ECHL office (which I can only assume is inside a Wendy's somewhere).

• 7 months later...

The Vegas Golden Knights have announced the purchase of the American Hockey League franchise operating rights currently held by Spurs Sports & Entertainment, as well as their intention to apply for relocation of said team to Nevada in time for the 2020-2021 AHL season. Following approval of the purchase and relocation by the AHL Board of Governors, it is expected that the team - currently operating as the San Antonio Rampage - will be headquartered and practice at Lifeguard Arena, the new community hockey center being built by the Golden Knights in Henderson, Nevada. While no decision has been finalized regarding where the AHL team would play its home schedule in Nevada, reports have suggested the Orleans Arena as a possible venue.

Vegas Golden Knights Purchase AHL Franchise Membership
Golden Knights bringing minor league team to Las Vegas     

"Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls... please welcome to the ice... yooooouuuur Nevada Silver Squires!!!!!!!"

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

The Vegas Golden Knights have announced the purchase of the American Hockey League franchise operating rights currently held by Spurs Sports & Entertainment, as well as their intention to apply for relocation of said team to Nevada in time for the 2020-2021 AHL season. Following approval of the purchase and relocation by the AHL Board of Governors, it is expected that the team - currently operating as the San Antonio Rampage - will be headquartered and practice at Lifeguard Arena, the new community hockey center being built by the Golden Knights in Henderson, Nevada. While no decision has been finalized regarding where the AHL team would play its home schedule in Nevada, reports have suggested the Orleans Arena as a possible venue.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls... please welcome to the ice... yooooouuuur Nevada Silver Squires!!!!!!!"

My three predictions:

The Wolves dissolve or move to the ECHL and dissolve after a couple years.

Vancouver pulls the plug on Utica as they are the oddball now.

The Blues purchase the Kansas City Mavericks and move them to the AHL.

The Blues lack the money to own an AHL team.

• Like 1
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

7 hours ago, sohiosportsfreak said:

My three predictions:

The Wolves arent going anywhere. They are a good draw and hold their own in the Chicago market.If anything I see them hooking up with St Louis again since the Blues will be losing their affiliate in San Antonio. I think if San Antonio still wants hockey under a different ownership from the Spurs, then the ECHL will probably be it. The ECHL has room for expansion and a team there will work in a thinning western conference. Itd be a great rivalry for Allen. I think Vancouver is still committed to Utica for now but I could see them moving the Comets probably to Vancouver or Abbotsford. Putting them at Pacific Coliseum could work but can Vancouver support the Canucks, an AHL club, and the Giants in nearby Langley? The Mavericks arent going anywhere I dont see them going to the AHL. Ownership is commited to the ECHL. As for Calgary and Stockton, I know they are having arena issues in Stockton and Calgary can never seem to hold an a affiliate in a market for long but their time in Stockton has actually lasted longer than i thought they would. If they are looking to move to be closer to Calgary Im not sure where they would go. Maybe Billings could work? Finally from what I heard the San Jose Barracuda will likely be moving to a new, 4,200 seat arena as part of a Sharks Ice complex in San Jose, so apparently they are staying in San Jose.

• Like 1

Signature intentionally left blank

13 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

travel is going to be a nightmare for the Texas Stars, but this way, they are mimicking their parent team.  

13 hours ago, sohiosportsfreak said:

My three predictions:

I really doubt the Canucks would pull the plug in Utica. The team is stable, the fan support there is awesome, and the kids over there can focus on playing and developing outside the fishbowl of BC

2 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

I really doubt the Canucks would pull the plug in Utica. The team is stable, the fan support there is awesome, and the kids over there can focus on playing and developing outside the fishbowl of BC

Even if the Canucks move the AHL team closer to home, I think they'll buy an ECHL team, moving and rebranding them with the Comets identity.

bYhYmxh.png

It will be hilarious if the Blues have to go back to the Wolves for their affiliation, given that the two organizations hated each other by the time their deal ended. It will be far less amusing if Dave Andrews uses this as an opportunity to force the Wolves out of the league as his last action before he :censored: s off into the sunset.

The Blues have little other choice, though. As @rams80 noted, the reason they got stuck with the Wolves the first time around is because they "couldn't afford" to own and operate the Peoria Rivermen anymore, so they sold the Rivs to Vancouver. Maybe the coffers are a bit more full after the Cup, but this is a franchise that was cool with casting its prospects to the four winds until San Antonio opened up, so I doubt it.

• Like 1
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.