2015-16 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

BigBubba

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too early for the 2016-17 version of this thread? Leafs jerseys galore for their centennial!

http://bergerbytes.ca/leafs-to-wear-multiple-jerseys-for-centennial/

If the Leafs actually knew thier own history they would have celebrated thier cenntenniel back in 2012. The franchise was born as the "Blue Shirts" in 1912/13 in the NHA. Not in 1917 as the "Arenas".

Furthermore you see this Toronto Arenas uniform?

Toronto%20Arenas%201918-19.gif

Yeah they weren't blue and white. When the Arena Gardens company reorganized the Blue Shirts into the Arenas in December 1918 they came up with a new color scheme to disassociate themselves from the Blue Shirts.

fdays8.jpg

Also if you look at the team photos you can see the Arenas are a different shade from the Blue Shirts.

25ivu5g.jpg

The question is. What color were the Toronto Ashalantas? All I know is that they played in the OHA for a few years in the late 1910's but info is hard to come by. For all we know they could have been yellow.

The Catch of the Day!

This would be a Top 5 NHL logo

2860_connecticut_whale-primary-2016.png

Looks pretty good and his mouth is a stick!
I'm assuming that's a Vancouver Canucks logo concept and not Hartford/Conneticut whale(ers) logo concept. Regardless, it's pretty clean, however I do feel like it's a little vague.

Neither. It's the new logo for the Connecticut Whale of the National Women's Hockey League.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

People on here slam the Canuck's Orca and fall over themselves for a generic, poorly illustrated version of basically the same concept...

Nonsense. The orca is corporate nothingness that's been wiped of any character it might have had by removing all color from it.

This isn't poorly illustrated and the simplicity along with the stick in mouth creates a playfulness that is perfect for a women's team.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Too early for the 2016-17 version of this thread? Leafs jerseys galore for their centennial!

http://bergerbytes.ca/leafs-to-wear-multiple-jerseys-for-centennial/

If the Leafs actually knew thier own history they would have celebrated thier cenntenniel back in 2012. The franchise was born as the "Blue Shirts" in 1912/13 in the NHA. Not in 1917 as the "Arenas".

Not really.

The NHA was trying to get the Blue Shirts' owner out of the league; so the Quebec, the two Montreal and the Ottawa teams created the NHL to squeeze him out, effectively folding the franchise. Then the NHL formed a new team in Toronto completely separate from the Blue Shirts, only connected by the new team being made up primarily of loaned players from the old Blue Shirts. Then in 1919 the team went bankrupt and had to be sold to another owner, who brought the same staff from the Toronto St. Patricks of the OHA to manage the new team.

So you could say the Maple Leafs were founded in 1917, 1919, or even maybe 1927 when the team was sold to Conn Smythe and the team was named the Maple Leafs (although that's just in the name), but the Blue Shirts are not the same franchise as the modern Maple Leafs, and they don't recognize them as such. 1917 is pretty much the accepted founding of the franchise though.

People on here slam the Canuck's Orca and fall over themselves for a generic, poorly illustrated version of basically the same concept...

Nonsense. The orca is corporate nothingness that's been wiped of any character it might have had by removing all color from it.

This isn't poorly illustrated and the simplicity along with the stick in mouth creates a playfulness that is perfect for a women's team.

Except Orca Bay Sports has an entirely different logo than the one the Canucks released in 1997. Did the name of the group influence it? Yes. Is it a bland, corporate logo? No. I think it deserves props for being able to incorporate the haida art style in a hockey logo, even if it doesn't depict a literal "Canuck."

EUCfzHY.jpg

Except Orca Bay Sports has an entirely different logo than the one the Canucks released in 1997. Did the name of the group influence it? Yes. Is it a bland, corporate logo? No. I think it deserves props for being able to incorporate the haida art style in a hockey logo, even if it doesn't depict a literal "Canuck."

EUCfzHY.jpg

Agreed. The Orca, in my opinion is the best logo the Canucks have ever had. It may be because that was the logo of the team while I was a little kid. But that logo really well drawn and takes inspiration from the Pacific NW Art of the natives

That's what- She

Agreed. The Orca, in my opinion is the best logo the Canucks have ever had.

I agree. And it's still terrible!

I bought a Connecticut Whale t-shirt already, I made a wallpaper for my phone, and I'll probably buy a jersey if they offer them. The clever simplicity of the logo really appeals to me.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

It's interesting how people are still up in arms over the Orca Bay connection, but little to nothing is said about the similar nod to True North Sports & Entertainment found in Winnipeg's logo. I guess bringing back the franchise allows for leeway that bringing in Messier doesn't... ;)

17013982017.gifu2jelkdnhfxbda2vmnsggv6hf.gif444.gifyo3wysbjtagzmwj37tb11u0fh.gif

The True North thing is a subtle part of a logo that otherwise has no connection with the parent company's name. The Canucks' orca logo was a prominent tie-in to the parent company. Apples and oranges, really.

the orca logo isn't terrible, but it isn't great. i'd much prefer it being some kind of representation of a lumberjack (preferably not a decapitated one stuck on a V).

but that's ideal world... i'd settle for a ditching of the "VANCOUVER" text, and dropping the navy or black or whatever it is in their logo.

the orca looks fantastic in blue, green, silver, and white... why not just do this?

canuckswithgreen_zpsoh1rjgig.png

^because that looks dumb.

The Orca logo looks fine. Plenty of worse logos in the league.

Of course it probably will get changed eventually and the lack of a true identity will continue...

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

the orca logo isn't terrible, but it isn't great. i'd much prefer it being some kind of representation of a lumberjack (preferably not a decapitated one stuck on a V).

but that's ideal world... i'd settle for a ditching of the "VANCOUVER" text, and dropping the navy or black or whatever it is in their logo.

the orca looks fantastic in blue, green, silver, and white... why not just do this?

canuckswithgreen_zpsoh1rjgig.png

I am with you on this. I have no idea why they don't at least incorporate a little green into the logo.

^because that looks dumb.

The Orca logo looks fine. Plenty of worse logos in the league.

Of course it probably will get changed eventually and the lack of a true identity will continue...

they currently look like the a rec-league team that bought blank logoless sweaters based off the design of a very nice looking blue/green team... then they screen-printed some cheap single color numbers and letters, and slapped a completely unrelated logo on top of it, despite the fact that it wasn't in the same color scheme as the uniforms by a long shot.

this isn't a blackhawks situation, where the very colorful and elaborate crest completes the look. a less colorful and basically drab graphic is stitched onto the chest of a very unique and brightly colored identity.

the canucks are so close, but so far.

Archived