College Football Uniforms - 2015 Season

buckeye

I'm kind of at the point that I want to barge into an Adidas board meeting, scream "YOU ALL SUCK!", tip someone's water glass over, and leave. Would it likely solve anything? No. Would I feel better and satisfied about getting it all out, though? I think so. After I got drug out by security of course :P

I've never seen a single manufacturer wreck teams' looks like Adidas. Even Russell - to my knowledge - doesn't have stupid patterns and treads on their cuts that claim to be "functional" but really don't need to be there. And they sure as heck haven't destroyed UCLA or gave Louisville, of all teams, possibly the worst helmet in college football history. And heck, Kansas is just about shot now.

Rant over.

They recently hired two of Nike's top team sports designers. From what I understand, they have a non-compete period, but when that's over we will hopefully see some improvement.

Like I've said before, approving this stuff is on the schools. If Miami didn't want the slashes in the stripes, they wouldn't be there.

They are footwear designers. They probably won't have any impact on the uniform designs.

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New UMass uniforms

KMlcRni.jpg

Previous uniforms (worn from 2012-2014)

ba029bedeb1c48bb9629474927bea988-ba029be

15794496-mmmain.jpg

I like the addition of stripes and the use of the new logo on the pants. I don't like the gray alternate and I don't like the inclusion of black (I don't like it in any application for UMass because it doesn't contrast with the maroon).

Edit: I also like that there's no tire tread and no duct tape numbers (Ahh, the benefits of being a lower profile Adidas school)

Priority list for Adidas:

Drop ShockWeb - ALL OF IT

Drop chest wordmarks

Drop stripe slashes

Create non-stretch numbers

I don't have a issue with the Adidas logo placement, although it could be moved as well. I also don't mind their Techfit template, especially the newer iteration with cap sleeves, but the ShockWeb pattern has got to go.

Their metallic material is actually something I'm a fan of, but the slashes, stretching, and background tread pattern make it an eyesore - without those things piling up to clutter the look, I actually think a little shimmer to the numbers/stripes can really look very sharp, but not as it's currently being used..

Overall, Adidas is actually SO close, but is trying too hard and shooting themselves in the foot with their "extras"..

Traditional stripes are definitely not a thing of the past. Adidas could have done it without the slashes and it would have looked good. Ohio State, Florida, Texas, et al, all have traditional stripes.

Those aren't "traditional stripes" though. Traditionally, those stripes existed because they wrapped around a sleeve. Now they're just a design on top of the one remaining visible side of the sleeve. The only way you can have "traditional stripes" is by moving them to undersleeves, such as Oregon State did with this uniform:

OregonState_stripes1.jpg

We obviously have different definitions of traditional stripes. I don't limit the definition of traditional stripes to "full wrap-around stripes" because even 20 or 30 years ago stripes didn't necessarily wrap all the way around the sleeve.

1988oklahomastatedisplayimage.jpg

You're exactly right. It should have been apparent that sleeve stripes were a dying breed back then and even moreso now. I'd call stripes that don't fully wrap around "neo-traditional", in that they're aesthetic descendants of traditional sleeve stripes but significantly distinct. That's opposed to modern sleeve stripes like OK State's or the Seattle Seahawks'. And even those are threatened by a quick death by the emerging trend of fill patterns/colors for sleeve caps, which seems like an entirely logical direction for an era of fill tools and sleeves so tight that there's only a single visible face on which to put a design left.

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

Don't know how to link in tweets but here's the link to their profile - @CanesFootball

Wouldn't Adidas want their major school to be wearing their new jerseys for media day? Seems really odd to me. Has it not officially switched yet?

CKYiNtUWEAAwMbV.jpg

"The 0-2 pitch... SWING AND A MISS! STRUCK HIM OUT! THE PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES ARE 2008 WORLD CHAMPIONS OF BASEBALL!"

J M yoU wish you had a Duke Dog!

New UMass uniforms

KMlcRni.jpg

15794496-mmmain.jpg

I like the addition of stripes and the use of the new logo on the pants. I don't like the gray alternate and I don't like the inclusion of black (I don't like it in any application for UMass because it doesn't contrast with the maroon).

Edit: I also like that there's no tire tread and no duct tape numbers (Ahh, the benefits of being a lower profile Adidas school)

Not a bad g5 look even though it's very close to Ohio State's design.

Also, Huskers just tweeted this photo, the pattern reminds me somewhat of the Under the Lights I alternate from Michigan, so hopefully these are just alts instead of a whole uniform redesign.

N9aiyLP.jpg

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

CKXLYbiUcAAaUzk.jpg

Tire treads: check

Duct tape numbers: check

Chrome: check

Oversized logo: check.

So the big changes were Shockweb, chrome numbers and flipping sides for the Jayhawk and Big XII patch. That's progress folks!

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Also, Huskers just tweeted this photo, the pattern reminds me somewhat of the Under the Lights I alternate from Michigan, so hopefully these are just alts instead of a whole uniform redesign.

N9aiyLP.jpg

RIP Nebraska.

I thought the same thing about Michigan's Under the Lights alt at first, but given UCLA's numbers, I'm not so sure the damage will be limited to just an alternate this time.

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

New UMass uniforms

KMlcRni.jpg

15794496-mmmain.jpg

The only good Adidas uniform this year, and it's only because UMass dumped the TechFit garbage altogether and switched to a real template.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Archived