NFL Changes 2015

Gothamite

I think the black might have looked better with gold pants, but it was a pretty terrible look.

I tried that out in Madden and it looked even worse. The black uniform needs more to make it work in a visually pleasing way, a number outline, contrasting stripes, and maybe even white pants to offset the balance.

bSLCtu2.png

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I cannot get over how terrible Cleveland and San Francisco's uniforms were in week 1. The 49ers' new alternate is ridiculous. The jersey looks like a knockoff. I think they could have made this uniform work if it had the gold pants, and gold and white on the actual jersey. At least white outlines on the numbers would make the jersey a little more bearable. If they also added white stripes on the arms, the jersey would be a lot better. Nevertheless, the 49ers are one of the last teams that should have a black alternate, especially when an interstate rival is famous for wearing nothing but black.

really like new MNF graphics and my favorite thing is the disapearing bug. it goes away when you're not looking at it anyway - when the ball is snapped and comes back after the play. i love that they eliminate any distraction, give you more screen and just focus on the play. i think its a great idea and they whole package is ace.

but im sure everyone else hates it right?

Visually it's appealing, but functionally it wasn't that great. It didn't show the number of timeouts remaining, and in end-of-game situations where every second counts, it really helps to have the clock on-screen as a play is occurring.

really like new MNF graphics and my favorite thing is the disapearing bug. it goes away when you're not looking at it anyway - when the ball is snapped and comes back after the play. i love that they eliminate any distraction, give you more screen and just focus on the play. i think its a great idea and they whole package is ace.

but im sure everyone else hates it right?

Visually it's appealing, but functionally it wasn't that great. It didn't show the number of timeouts remaining, and in end-of-game situations where every second counts, it really helps to have the clock on-screen as a play is occurring.

The bar actually did have timeout markers below the team names, but it was so close to the edge of the screen, it got cut off on a lot of TVs. I was at a house with the games on two TVs last night. We could see the timeouts on one, but not the other.

I wouldn't be surprised if that gets nudged up a little for next week.

I think the black might have looked better with gold pants, but it was a pretty terrible look.

Yeah but with a black helmet and an extra white stripe added on the pants, they would look better like this, but the NFL doesn't allow a second helmet anymore......

Gl4HE07.png

Yeah but then the name 49ers is meaningless without gold. Were they coal miners?

Worst uniform of Week 1 goes to the 49ers.

Worst of the season.

Numbers were tough to read at times and I noticed even the play-by-play commentator struggled when a rookie made a play for the Niners...took a few seconds to identify him. Aside from that issue, they simply just looked horrible. It looked like they were wearing the uniform of one team, and the helmet of another; they did not look like they went togather as a set at all.

hi-res-9b128dec638ef31065dfdb01be2c72e0_

hi-res-6da7356f45b61769d7ec33781e2f528e_

488259956-vernon-davis-of-the-san-franci

vikings-49ers-football.jpg

3000.jpg?w=620&q=85&auto=format&sharp=10

The 49ers cheerleaders looked better in all-black than the team did.

The dominatrix look will never go out of style. The bank robber look that the players wore, however...

CO6vVHcUYAASjV9.jpg

87Redskins.png

Yeah but with a black helmet and an extra white stripe added on the pants, they would look better like this, but the NFL doesn't allow a second helmet anymore......

Gl4HE07.png

Yeah but then the name 49ers is meaningless without gold. Were they coal miners?

Worst uniform of Week 1 goes to the 49ers.

Worst of the season.

Numbers were tough to read at times and I noticed even the play-by-play commentator struggled when a rookie made a play for the Niners...took a few seconds to identify him. Aside from that issue, they simply just looked horrible. It looked like they were wearing the uniform of one team, and the helmet of another; they did not look like they went togather as a set at all.

hi-res-9b128dec638ef31065dfdb01be2c72e0_

hi-res-6da7356f45b61769d7ec33781e2f528e_

488259956-vernon-davis-of-the-san-franci

vikings-49ers-football.jpg

3000.jpg?w=620&q=85&auto=format&sharp=10

My gosh, those numbers are even more unreadable than the Browns'. By a mile. That's bad.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

I can't believe the league even approved them.

What's even more sad, it wasn't the Jags or Titans...teams with no tradition or history, it was the 49ers...who have an iconic look for decades.

RkFBQldxaE52dGcx_o_leonard-marshall-knoc

Seriously, how can you do this to the 49ers?

ssjm011549ers417.jpg

87Redskins.png

Gl4HE07.png

The league never allowed pure alternate helmets. They only allowed throwback helmets, which were only to be worn with corresponding throwback jerseys. Even if the league didn't outlaw additional sets of helmets, the Niners wouldn't have taken the field in black or red helmets last night.

And I agree that the scorebug seemed off. In general, less is more when it comes to scorebugs. The bar seemed a little too bold last night, but as long as it keeps the ESPN ticker off the bottom of the screen, it's fine by me. However, like other people said, the timeouts were cut off on my screen. I don't know if it's my TV, Comcast or the receiver, but nothing showed under the names (until I put it in "full pixel" mode, which shrunk everything to about half the screen size.) Hopefully they can get that fixed for next week.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

You're darn tootin'. The NFL is beholden to the $$$ that Nike could bring, and I'm sure they will eventually mandate that every team have a BFBS alternate...because Goodell wants to get the NFL to $25 billion in profits, which is doulbe what it currently is.

The NFL's recent track record on allowed uniform changes is inconsistent, much like Goodell himself. They won't allow more than one helmet (which has killed off the throwback uniforms, which was actually a good source of revenue for the league), but they approve uniforms with unreadable jersey numbers (Browns, 49ers) which is inexcusable, or look amateur (49ers).

The Browns had the same problem with unreadable orange numbers in the 1984 preseason. I'm guessing no one in charge of the uniform change even read about that fiasco. But as bad as the numbers on the Browns' jersey is, the 49ers are a whole level of stupid above it. If they were going to drop a BFBS uniform on everyone, they could have added white borders to the numbers at the very least.

These things didn't happen under Tagliabue:

Spygate, Bountygate, Deflategate, Stadium Noisegate, Concussiongate, Disciplinegates, now Unigate!

Seriously, what does Nike's field testing for new uniforms involve? How in God's name could that black 49ers jersey have made it through any kind of evaluation in game-like conditions and have NOBODY say, "You know, those numbers are almost impossible to read from more than 10 feet away."?

You're darn tootin'. The NFL is beholden to the $$$ that Nike could bring, and I'm sure they will eventually mandate that every team have a BFBS alternate...because Goodell wants to get the NFL to $25 billion in profits, which is doulbe what it currently is.

The NFL's recent track record on allowed uniform changes is inconsistent, much like Goodell himself. They won't allow more than one helmet (which has killed off the throwback uniforms, which was actually a good source of revenue for the league), but they approve uniforms with unreadable jersey numbers (Browns, 49ers) which is inexcusable, or look amateur (49ers).

The Browns had the same problem with unreadable orange numbers in the 1984 preseason. I'm guessing no one in charge of the uniform change even read about that fiasco. But as bad as the numbers on the Browns' jersey is, the 49ers are a whole level of stupid above it. If they were going to drop a BFBS uniform on everyone, they could have added white borders to the numbers at the very least.

These things didn't happen under Tagliabue:

Spygate, Bountygate, Deflategate, Stadium Noisegate, Concussiongate, Disciplinegates, now Unigate!

and don't forget elevatorgate lol

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

Archived