Unused Logos and Uniforms

3 hours ago, pepis21 said:

Gameplan on his twitter shows even more 90's version of Swamp Dragons:

I don't know what's worse ... the top or the shorts with the dragon tail?

• Like 1

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

On 5/20/2019 at 1:13 PM, kimball said:

I don't know what's worse ... the top or the shorts with the dragon tail?

If you consider *where* the dragon tail is emerging from....it's apparent that it's more a metaphor than a design element.

• Like 1

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

On 5/20/2019 at 8:29 AM, pepis21 said:

Gameplan on his twitter shows even more 90's version of Swamp Dragons:

I'd like to imagine if the Nets did follow through with this identity, and it lasted until the present day what the uniforms would look like. Would they have still gone black heavy w/a Brooklyn move? Would this be a throwback that the young players think is "fire"? 

• Like 2

Since uniforms and brands don’t matter anymore, they should make those and wear them a few times just so they can try to sell them. 

• Like 13

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

19 hours ago, WBeltz said:

I'd like to imagine if the Nets did follow through with this identity, and it lasted until the present day what the uniforms would look like. Would they have still gone black heavy w/a Brooklyn move? Would this be a throwback that the young players think is "fire"? 

I feel like they'd have gone black heavy, then introduced a purple and green city/earned jersey later on as well. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, kimball said:

This is probably best suited here. But, this is an article that claims the Vancouver Grizzlies and Charlotte Bobcats logos (even the New Jersey Swamp Dragons logo) were rejected names/logos for the Toronto Raptors. Pretty cool read. 

"They considered Ravens and Dragons before eventually settling on Grizzlies."

I think Ravens would've been an awesome name for a basketball team in Vancouver, especially since ravens are native to that region. If the team took inspiration from Native American art (as they ended up doing with the Grizzlies logo), I think they could've put together a set of really cool logos and uniforms.

Related image

Related image

It's also interesting to consider what direction the NFL franchise that came to Baltimore about a year after would've gone in terms of identity if this happened. 

• Like 9

Would’ve been interesting if hypothetically Vancouver did go with Ravens or Dragons, if either name would’ve carried over to Memphis or not (or if it would’ve stayed up to today had it carried over at all). We’ll never know, but fun to think about. 

• Like 2

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

5 hours ago, 1insaneguy said:

It's also interesting to consider what direction the NFL franchise that came to Baltimore about a year after would've gone in terms of identity if this happened. 

It's safe to say this team would have had a different name.

spacer.png

National Lacrosse League -- 2002-04

• Like 2

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2019 at 11:28 AM, kimball said:

This is probably best suited here. But, this is an article that claims the Vancouver Grizzlies and Charlotte Bobcats logos (even the New Jersey Swamp Dragons logo) were rejected names/logos for the Toronto Raptors. Pretty cool read. 

There is a time and a place for geo-specific team nicknames. But on the other hand I also do like the fact that there's a team called the Toronto Raptors

• Like 1

4 hours ago, San Diego said:

I didn't know the Raptors nearly changed their name in 2013. 

That was probably the last chance they had to be the Huskies. The team was kind of staying put. Not really breaking out from the rest of the Conference and never getting over the post-season hump. Change the name then and pair it with the "We the North" campaign? You could probably sell the Huskies rebrand.

Now though? Given what the team has managed to do just this year as the Raptors? They're that forever.

• Like 12

On 5/21/2019 at 7:58 PM, WBeltz said:

I'd imagine their look would now have the simplicity that Toronto's does...and probably be black dominant. Cartoon logos would obviously be long gone and I'm guessing the teal/green too, much like Toronto's purple.

They’d probably either be just the “Dragons” or they would have reverted to the “Nets.” 

The “Swamp” part of the name refers to northern New Jersey so they likely would have dropped that when they moved to Brooklyn. 

It’s also possible they would have dropped the name entirely, given the painfully “90s-ness” of it. Either when they moved to Brooklyn or earlier. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

They’d probably either be just the “Dragons” or they would have reverted to the “Nets.” 

The “Swamp” part of the name refers to northern New Jersey so they likely would have dropped that when they moved to Brooklyn. 

It’s also possible they would have dropped the name entirely, given the painfully “90s-ness” of it. Either when they moved to Brooklyn or earlier. 

Or Knights as was somewhat rumored before the move.

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin