College Football Uniforms - 2016 Season

buckeye

34 minutes ago, Kramerica Industries said:

Is there any reason given why the Washington "W" logo is unbalanced the way it is? Sorry if this has been asked and answered before (knowing where I am, I'm sure it has). It's just horribly distracting and can't be unseen.

When you say, "unbalanced" what do you mean? A little visual clue would help answer the question.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, oddball said:

When you say, "unbalanced" what do you mean? A little visual clue would help answer the question.

I was trying to find a better close up photo, but I think the W at mid field help illustrates Kramerica's point. While the W is centered, it sure doen't appear that way based on the weight of the lines for each stem.

20131129AppleCupUWvsWSU_js_05_zps6kliih6

SEAsig.png

2 hours ago, upperV03 said:

Found this on Twitter and Instagram from an Oregon recruit:

IMG_2262.PNG

I'm a little bit disappointed that it uses the Alamo Bowl wing pattern again rather than the shattered glass wing pattern but it's nice to see the green helmets return (and it looks like regularly colored Duck logos are on the helmets rather than monochrome logos), and the green pants provide a nice balance as well.

I'm disappointed as well.  When I saw these cleats with the shattered wing pattern, I was expecting to see a corresponding white jersey.  But them using what basically looks like a blank white jersey is just lazy and uninspired.  Beginning to think Oregon and Nike have no idea what to do for jerseys or cohesive sets anymore.

2 minutes ago, Webfooter said:

I'm disappointed as well.  When I saw these cleats with the shattered wing pattern, I was expecting to see a corresponding white jersey.  But them using what basically looks like a blank white jersey is just lazy and uninspired.  Beginning to think Oregon and Nike have no idea what to do for jerseys or cohesive sets anymore.

For all we know they still do have a corresponding white jersey that matches the cleats with the shattered wing pattern. I doubt it but frankly nothing would surprise me anymore with their uniforms for this year. In the past atleast we knew what the general design of the uniforms would be each week and we were just left guessing on the color combinations, but now we're left questioning everything. Hell, maybe a complete lack of cohesion is what they're going for but it's getting really frustrating.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

5 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

For all we know they still do have a corresponding white jersey that matches the cleats with the shattered wing pattern. I doubt it but frankly nothing would surprise me anymore with their uniforms for this year. In the past atleast we knew what the general design of the uniforms would be each week and we were just left guessing on the color combinations, but now we're left questioning everything. Hell, maybe a complete lack of cohesion is what they're going for but it's getting really frustrating.

That's what has been the most frustrating part about Oregon's uniforms this season.  They could easily go with one standard set but it seems they're choosing to be so irregular either because they can or they and Nike have no actual plan.

14 hours ago, nuordr said:

I loved that Texas Tech put the Red back into Red Raiders last night. 

TT 1.PNG

TT 2.jpg

TT 4.jpg

It's a fine uniform for one game but at this point it just doesn't look like us. I do expect to see the red helmets again, maybe even next week.  

Midway.png

8 hours ago, Kramerica Industries said:

Reveal hidden contents

3140_washington_huskies-alternate-2007.p

The far left is bulkier than the far right, and the middle right is bulkier than the middle left. It's like there's supposed to be something of an angle in there, but I'm just not getting it. And it looks distracting because of it. 

It was probably done to distinguish itself from other W-schools back in the day, notably Wisconsin and even Western Michigan or Wyoming.  In a vacuum it is odd, but I'm used to the Huskies' W after seeing it for decades.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

8 hours ago, benpc21 said:

I was trying to find a better close up photo, but I think the W at mid field help illustrates Kramerica's point. While the W is centered, it sure doen't appear that way based on the weight of the lines for each stem.

20131129AppleCupUWvsWSU_js_05_zps6kliih6

Yeah it appears to just be weighted like that based on classic fonts. Just think of it as a less extreme, more block-y version of a wake forest type W.

7 hours ago, Midway said:

It's a fine uniform for one game but at this point it just doesn't look like us. I do expect to see the red helmets again, maybe even next week.  

Ive always thought that you could achieve a good balance for Tech by giving them the Atlanta Falcons treatment. The classic black helmet with the red would be beautiful. 

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

9 hours ago, Webfooter said:

That's what has been the most frustrating part about Oregon's uniforms this season.  They could easily go with one standard set but it seems they're choosing to be so irregular either because they can or they and Nike have no actual plan.

Oregon is simply lost. They have run out of ideas and everything they trot out feels like it's a half-baked and recycled idea that was scrapped 5 years ago. I personally think they peaked design wise with the robo wing jerseys but even the feather wing set with the robo wing helmets was a solid design.  They lost their way when they busted out the pink helmets and fatigue green unis and has been downhill since with the exception being the mono bright green for the rose bowl.

11 hours ago, Kramerica Industries said:

Reveal hidden contents

3140_washington_huskies-alternate-2007.p

The far left is bulkier than the far right, and the middle right is bulkier than the middle left. It's like there's supposed to be something of an angle in there, but I'm just not getting it. And it looks distracting because of it. 

This doesn't bother me at all. I've seen fonts with the W like this before and I think it's a cool design quirk. Nothing wrong with it on Washington. 

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

Here's the official photos of the Oregon uniforms for today: 

IMG_2265.JPGIMG_2266.JPGIMG_2267.JPG

IMG_2268.JPGIMG_2269.JPGThe jersey actually looks to be the same as the one they wore in the Alamo Bowl with the grey collar and sleeves so at least it's not just plain white I suppose. This is also the first time they've worn the regularly colored Duck logo on the sides of the helmet and that is by far the best feature of this uniform.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

I don't post here often, but WTF are the Oklahoma State helmets for?

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

18 minutes ago, buzzcut said:

I don't post here often, but WTF are the Oklahoma State helmets for?

It's a marshal badge logo that came with the new uniforms. Oklahoma State's mascot was modeled after Frank Eaton, a former U.S. Marshal with the nickname, "Pistol Pete". The logo is a nod to Eaton. 

Some more background information from wikipedia:

When Eaton was eight years old, his father, a vigilante, was shot in cold blood by six former Confederates, who during the war had served with the Quantrill Raiders. The six men, from the Campsey and the Ferber clans, rode with the southerners who after the war called themselves "Regulators"

At the age of fifteen, before setting off on his mission to avenge his father's death, he decided to visit Fort Gibson, Oklahoma, a cavalry fort, to learn more about how to handle a gun. Although too young to join the army, he outshot everyone at the fort and competed with the cavalry's best marksmen, beating them every time. After many competitions, the fort's commanding officer, Colonel Copinger, gave Frank a marksmanship badge and a new nickname. From that day forward, Frank would be known as "Pistol Pete."

During his teen years, Eaton was reputed to be faster on the draw than Buffalo Bill. From his first days as a lawman, he was said to "pack the fastest guns in the Indian Territory." By the end of his career, Eaton would allegedly have eleven notches on his gun.

He began serving in Indian Territory as a Deputy U.S. Marshal at the age of seventeen, under Judge Isaac C. Parker, who was known as the "hanging judge." Eaton's territory extended from southern Kansas to northern Texas. He would later say that from the start of his career as a lawman he began tracking down his father's killers, claiming that by 1887 he had killed five of them, and that the sixth only escaped his gun by being shot by someone in a dispute over a game of cards.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Eaton

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

2 hours ago, vicfurth said:

Ive always thought that you could achieve a good balance for Tech by giving them the Atlanta Falcons treatment. The classic black helmet with the red would be beautiful. 

They've actually done that quite often through the years.  It is a good look.  

Two games today have me going back and forth, based on aesthetics alone: Duke's deep royal metallic blue helmet and ECU's purple helmet with the yellow face mask are top notch.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Two new MAC helmets for the Wagon Wheel today.

LOVE the satin gold finish Akron is using. Would have preferred navy logos and facemask.

My guess is they wanted to tie in the helmet better with the white/white combo.

CtsnC5xWIAA1I_x.jpg

And Kent State is....um...generic?

I thought it was a joke at first.

CtmpW1PXgAANNhz.jpg

Archived