2016 NFL Playoffs

JWhiz96

11 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

For the first time since 2010 I didn't have to watch the Bengals lose a playoff game and for the first time in my life I didn't watch any of the wildcard games at all. It was...great. I probably won't watch any of the divisional games. Here are my picks based entirely on who would be the least fun to see advance. These are stone cold locks because the NFL sucks.

Steelers over Chiefs

Patriots over Texans by a hundred

Seahawks over Falcons

Packers over Cowboys. I guess Packers because they've been there more recently and the actual players on the Cowboys are fun, but I've never stopped hating Jerry Jones or the Cowboys so IDK here. 

Patriots over Steelers in another forgettable and boring Patriots championship game. 

Packers over Seahawks

Patriots over Packers in a rematch of the Super Bowl 20 years ago. It will suck. 

Ooh.  So close.  You missed one game.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are my picks for this week:

Seahawks Falcons: Probably the only game result that I will like come next Monday.

Texans Patriots: This game could not be more lopsided. That means I have to watch Tom Brady slime his way to yet another AFC title game. Ugh.

Steelers < Chiefs: Probably the toughest call of the week. As much as I want to see my Steelers win, I don't think they will. Arrowhead is a different beast.

Packers Cowboys: Second toughest pick of Divisional week, but I have the 'Boys sweating this one out.

NSFCvyu.png

11 hours ago, infrared41 said:

If memory serves, one of the knocks on Rodgers back then was that he had some sort of "hitch" in his throwing motion (which sounds ridiculous today.)  I could be wrong, but I remember that "hitch" being a real concern among the "experts" back then. Supposedly, the hitch in the throwing motion meant Rodgers wouldn't be able to get rid of the ball quickly enough. I also remember something to the effect that Kyle Boller's less than stellar play had led to NFL coaches cooling on Ted Teford's (I think that was his name) Cal QBs. That's how I remember it, but I could be wrong. In any case, the Packers made the steal of that draft. 

Yeah...that sounds familiar. Was there something about "carrying the ball on a shelf" or something that had to do with an elevated, almost horizontal arm angle that Jeff Tedford used to teach?

Wow, well my picks sucked. I tried some out of the box thinking, which apparently did not go as foreseen.

I still can't believe that Oakland was dispatched as easily as they were. They're the far superior team, outside of QB, where it's basically a guy that we know sucks (Osweiler) vs. a guy that we've never seen before and might suck. Houston may have a slight edge defensively, but still, I thought the Raiders had it. 

I also picked the Giants to win the Superbowl. FML. I thought their defense would eat up GB big time and Eli would do just enough to win. I guess the Packers are for real. 

Adjusting my picks:

New England over Houston 

Kansas City over Pittsburgh 

Seattle over Atlanta 

Green Bay over Dallas 

Kansas City over New England

Green Bay over Seattle 

SB-

Kansas City over Green Bay

sig.png

7 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Patriots over Texans by a hundred

The Texans aren't that bad. I get overstating things for effect, but predicting Houston to lose by 100 is ridiculous. We both know it's going to be more like 85. B)

BB52Big.jpg

7 hours ago, GFB said:

Go Chiefs.

I accept your's and others hate with glee :P

Seriously though, it seems like this year's post season has a bunch of teams that are generally hated throughout the league. Outside of Atlanta, KC, and Houston, pretty much everyone hates at least one of the remaining 5 teams.

4 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Wow, well my picks sucked. I tried some out of the box thinking, which apparently did not go as foreseen.

I still can't believe that Oakland was dispatched as easily as they were. They're the far superior team, outside of QB, where it's basically a guy that we know sucks (Osweiler) vs. a guy that we've never seen before and might suck. Houston may have a slight edge defensively, but still, I thought the Raiders had it. 

I also picked the Giants to win the Superbowl. FML. I thought their defense would eat up GB big time and Eli would do just enough to win. I guess the Packers are for real. 

Adjusting my picks:

New England over Houston 

Kansas City over Pittsburgh 

Seattle over Atlanta 

Green Bay over Dallas 

Kansas City over New England

Green Bay over Seattle 

SB-

Kansas City over Green Bay

KC's not winning the Super Bowl. I think the winner of the KC/Pittsburgh game will be too beat up to go into Foxborough and win.

NSFCvyu.png

7 minutes ago, JWhiz96 said:

I accept your's and others hate with glee :P

Seriously though, it seems like this year's post season has a bunch of teams that are generally hated throughout the league. Outside of Atlanta, KC, and Houston, pretty much everyone hates at least one of the remaining 5 teams.

KC's not winning the Super Bowl. I think the winner of the KC/Pittsburgh game will be too beat up to go into Foxborough and win.

I know. I just get tired of 'playing it safe' every year and writing New England. Hoping for some change. 

sig.png

21 hours ago, SabresRule7361 said:

More like Mild Card Weekend

Indeed. This has to have been the worst Wild Card weekend I can remember. The only game that was remotely a game was the NY-Green Bay game. And even that got out of hand pretty quickly by the second half. Raiders rolled over even worse than I expected without Carr, Dolphins had nothing for the Steelers, and the Lions-Seahawks game it was more interesting watching the shoddy officiating than the actual game.

New England/Pittsburgh and Seattle/Dallas. New England/Dallas in the Super Bowl.

What I want? Texas/Chiefs v. Falcons/Cowboys. Chiefs-Cowboys in the Super Bowl.

The worst (i.e., most disappointing matchup for league execs and TV partners) matchup is: Houston/Kansas City and Atlanta/Green Bay, with Atlanta and Houston making the Super Bowl.

To you guys who hate Seattle (you will probably go back to not caring one bit about them once they slip back into irrelevance), you can all relax. They cannot win a road playoff game. So if Seattle is out, I'd love to see a Packers/Chiefs super bowl. Anything but the Patriots and Cowboys. I think a lot of people would simply not watch it because they are two most polarizing teams.

12 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

The worst (i.e., most disappointing matchup for league execs and TV partners) matchup is: Houston/Kansas City and Atlanta/Green Bay, with Atlanta and Houston making the Super Bowl.

Des Moines and Reno could meet in the Super Bowl and it would still have monster ratings.

Besides, no sports fan really gives a :censored: about what the ratings game means for the league.  The only people that bring this up are those in the largest markets that are butthurt that their team is eliminated.

I want Seattle New England 2.

I wouldn't mind GB NE 2.  I want to see the best of the best in the SB, and right now Brady (duh), Wilson, and Rodgers are clearly the best of what's left.  From what I've seen, I dont' think Matt Ryan is close to that class.

I would get sick pleasure out of KC making it and then Andy Reid blowing it by running one of his 10-minute 2-minute drills (after using one of his timeouts on the first play of the 2nd half... which has actualy happened more than once.)

It would make me ill to my stomach if Dallas made it - and there's really no reason that they can't.  A great OL makes up for inexperienced QBs.  I don't see Pittsburgh making it, but that would also make me ill - mostly out of jealousy for how well that franchise is run, even if their QB is a neanderthalic rapist who's skull should have been split in half when his cycle wrecked.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

13 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

New England/Pittsburgh and Seattle/Dallas. New England/Dallas in the Super Bowl.

What I want? Texas/Chiefs v. Falcons/Cowboys. Chiefs-Cowboys in the Super Bowl.

What's weird is that Houston is a major market, but the Texans just feel like a small-market team.  Maybe it's because of their age, or their lack of "flash" (plain uniforms, no real star players ever).  But yeah - you'd think that they'd love a Houston team to make it, but nobody would care.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, jmac11281 said:

To you guys who hate Seattle (you will probably go back to not caring one bit about them once they slip back into irrelevance), you can all relax. They cannot win a road playoff game. So if Seattle is out, I'd love to see a Packers/Chiefs super bowl. Anything but the Patriots and Cowboys. I think a lot of people would simply not watch it because they are two most polarizing teams.

I just think they're too out of sync to win a road game this time & place.  Flying all the way to rested Atlanta shouldn't be easy for them.  Nor did winning unspectacularly against Detroit, a team who never played up to their record.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

7 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

What's weird is that Houston is a major market, but the Texans just feel like a small-market team.  Maybe it's because of their age, or their lack of "flash" (plain uniforms, no real star players ever).  But yeah - you'd think that they'd love a Houston team to make it, but nobody would care.

Probably because they're so overtaken by Cowboys fans in Texas that they're always second fiddle. Sometimes in their own city.

7 hours ago, HedleyLamarr said:

Des Moines and Reno could meet in the Super Bowl and it would still have monster ratings.

Besides, no sports fan really gives a :censored: about what the ratings game means for the league.  The only people that bring this up are those in the largest markets that are butthurt that their team is eliminated.

"Monster ratings" doesn't mean that it would be the highest ratings. The Super Bowl ratings does fluctuate and with the money paid out for commercial means they expect a certain number of eyeballs. If it falls short, you'll see the NFL forced to issue give-backs in terms of cheaper commercials in other events over the next league year (it's happened in the past). Which also affects average fans as it's the media partners that are as intent as possible cramming as many commercials into a game (touchdown, PAT, ad, kickoff, ad, etc) to try to recoup the money paid out for those broadcast rights. SB50 had 2.6 million fewer viewers than SB49.

The primary benefit with the Super Bowl was during the 'down years' when games weren't that competitive, the commercials themselves were a draw. And it's appointment viewing. People don't DVR the Super Bowl to just watch it later. The number of live viewers make the commercials that much more valuable. But, there's only a limit to that.

Archived