2016 NFL Playoffs

JWhiz96

39 minutes ago, Sykotyk said:

"Monster ratings" doesn't mean that it would be the highest ratings. The Super Bowl ratings does fluctuate and with the money paid out for commercial means they expect a certain number of eyeballs. If it falls short, you'll see the NFL forced to issue give-backs in terms of cheaper commercials in other events over the next league year (it's happened in the past). Which also affects average fans as it's the media partners that are as intent as possible cramming as many commercials into a game (touchdown, PAT, ad, kickoff, ad, etc) to try to recoup the money paid out for those broadcast rights. SB50 had 2.6 million fewer viewers than SB49.

The primary benefit with the Super Bowl was during the 'down years' when games weren't that competitive, the commercials themselves were a draw. And it's appointment viewing. People don't DVR the Super Bowl to just watch it later. The number of live viewers make the commercials that much more valuable. But, there's only a limit to that.

All this is great and all.  Kudos on the research.

But tell me why sports fans, and specifically football fans, should care about potential ratings for the Super Bowl.  Sports fans are going to watch.  Football fans are definitely watching.  So they lose a few viewers that don't care about football...chances are, these lost viewers wouldn't give a damn (or wouldn't know) who was playing.  And that's why it's so dumb and pointless for someone that doesn't have a stake in the ratings to care about them or bring it up.  For some reason, it's only those in New York or Chicago or other big cities that bother to mention it, like it's an opportunity to flex their muscles.

Falcons fan: "My team just won the Super Bowl!  OMG!"

Giants fan: "That's great, but 3 million fewer people saw it."

Falcons fan: "You're right, therefore this win means less."

Dumb argument, no?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, HedleyLamarr said:

All this is great and all.  Kudos on the research.

But tell me why sports fans, and specifically football fans, should care about potential ratings for the Super Bowl.  Sports fans are going to watch.  Football fans are definitely watching.  So they lose a few viewers that don't care about football...chances are, these lost viewers wouldn't give a damn (or wouldn't know) who was playing.  And that's why it's so dumb and pointless for someone that doesn't have a stake in the ratings to care about them or bring it up.  For some reason, it's only those in New York or Chicago or other big cities that bother to mention it, like it's an opportunity to flex their muscles.

Falcons fan: "My team just won the Super Bowl!  OMG!"

Giants fan: "That's great, but 3 million fewer people saw it."

Falcons fan: "You're right, therefore this win means less."

Dumb argument, no?

Most of sportslogos.net is stuff average fans have no reason to care about. If a team wants to rebrand or redo their jerseys is usually a financially motivated decision today. Yet, there's a big number who dive into numbers such as 'jerseys sold' or merchandise sales, etc.

One reason as fans you should care a bit about TV ratings is it's unlikely the NFL and it's broadcast members (who are stuck with contracts for years in advance) aren't about to 'accept less'. Any downward trend could mean MORE commercials to offset value lost by a dud of a game or series of games. This regular season has shown that ratings have dropped, and it may be an issue. Those TV partners aren't going to just sit back and say "Guess we misjudged the market", they're going to strong-arm the NFL into giving them more commercial time to offset those declines. Which they've done in the past, and will continue to do.

16 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

Most of sportslogos.net is stuff average fans have no reason to care about. If a team wants to rebrand or redo their jerseys is usually a financially motivated decision today. Yet, there's a big number who dive into numbers such as 'jerseys sold' or merchandise sales, etc.

One reason as fans you should care a bit about TV ratings is it's unlikely the NFL and it's broadcast members (who are stuck with contracts for years in advance) aren't about to 'accept less'. Any downward trend could mean MORE commercials to offset value lost by a dud of a game or series of games. This regular season has shown that ratings have dropped, and it may be an issue. Those TV partners aren't going to just sit back and say "Guess we misjudged the market", they're going to strong-arm the NFL into giving them more commercial time to offset those declines. Which they've done in the past, and will continue to do.

Never heard of any sports fan putting themselves on a timeout pitch count.  Never heard a sports fan say "Ok, I'll watch the Super Bowl, but I'm done if they reach a 13th TV timeout!".

If you're at a party for the Super Bowl, I always look forward to the 30 minute halftime show and the longer commercials.  Gives me a chance to piss, load up the plate, open a new bottle, and check out the Squares games....and I'm not even watching a minute of these breaks.

5 hours ago, HedleyLamarr said:

Never heard of any sports fan putting themselves on a timeout pitch count.  Never heard a sports fan say "Ok, I'll watch the Super Bowl, but I'm done if they reach a 13th TV timeout!".

If you're at a party for the Super Bowl, I always look forward to the 30 minute halftime show and the longer commercials.  Gives me a chance to piss, load up the plate, open a new bottle, and check out the Squares games....and I'm not even watching a minute of these breaks.

Some of those offsets would come in the regular season. Most fans balk at the idea of "touchdown, PAT, commercial, kickoff, commercial, first down" that currently happens.

You may think that it's a 'conscious' decision on whether to or whether not to watch something. But, at some point, there is a point an average viewer would grow tired of commercial stoppages. If a game took 10 hours, I'm sure the number of viewers who'd watch the entire game would be minimal. So, somewhere between 3 hours and 10 hours, would be your stopping point. You might not know where it is, or even know it until you reach it, but it would exist. At some point, your time wouldn't be worth it to you to watch.

Sure, you might watch 'your team' play a game that took 5 hours, but it's unlikely you'd watch four games a weekend if each took five hours. Some fans bristle at the thought of a game going 3:30 or more (not counting overtime games or even odd outliers such as major injury taking place or some type of power outage like the SF-Balt Super Bowl). But, a concerted effort to squeeze as much financial gain out of a telecast CAN turn people off to it.

Just as someone might say they'd attend a game for $50 as they would for $60, but at $80, they might question it. Or $100. Or $120. Eventually you reach the point you don't think it's worth it. For some, that number might be 'unreachable', but for others, it's much closer to the current price than you think. Even if you have the money to pay it, or the time to watch it, it's a matter of whether it's WORTH it to you. And sports are a 'non-required' expense of both your time and your money. And at some point it wouldn't be worth it to you. Sports has started to walk that line for many.

Winter Storm Watch announced for Kansas City this weekend.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article125863734.html

C145AKnXgAAhRdA_zps1uaesm7l.jpg

EDIT for latest National Weather Service Update:

Issuing Office: Kansas City/Pleasant Hill
Source: National.Weather.Service
2:21pm CST, Thu Jan 12

... ICE STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 9 AM FRIDAY TO MIDNIGHT CST SUNDAY NIGHT... THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN KANSAS CITY/PLEASANT HILL HAS ISSUED AN ICE STORM WARNING, WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 9 AM FRIDAY TO MIDNIGHT CST SUNDAY NIGHT. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT. * TIMING... LIGHT PRECIPITATION WILL BEGIN LATE FRIDAY MORNING... WITH PERIODS OF FREEZING RAIN THROUGH SUNDAY AFTERNOON OR EVENING. * ICE ACCUMULATIONS... TOTAL ICE ACCUMULATIONS DURING THE MULTI-DAY PERIOD OF ONE-QUARTER TO THREE-QUARTERS OF AN INCH. * MAIN IMPACT... MAJOR IMPACTS TO TRAVEL ARE LIKELY AS ICE ACCUMULATES ON AREA ROADWAYS. BRIDGES AND OVERPASSES WILL BE MOST SUSCEPTIBLE TO ICE ACCRETION. ICE ACCUMULATION ON TREES AND POWERLINES MAY RESULT IN SCATTERED POWER OUTAGES. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... AN ICE STORM WARNING MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF ICE ACCUMULATIONS WILL MAKE TRAVEL DANGEROUS OR IMPOSSIBLE. TRAVEL IS STRONGLY DISCOURAGED. COMMERCE WILL LIKELY BE SEVERELY IMPACTED. IF YOU MUST TRAVEL, KEEP AN EXTRA FLASHLIGHT, FOOD, AND WATER IN YOUR VEHICLE IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY. ICE ACCUMULATIONS AND WINDS WILL LIKELY LEAD TO SNAPPED POWER LINES AND FALLING TREE BRANCHES THAT ADD TO THE DANGER

....and we've got the road version of the Seahawks today.

That holding penalty on the Hester kickoff killed them. That was a huge swing.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I don't know where certain Patriots fans get off saying this game was going to be a blowout. It's shaping up to be a tough game for the Patriots against a tough team that has something to prove.

This is going to come down to the wire.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

22 minutes ago, Brass said:

I don't know where certain Patriots fans get off saying this game was going to be a blowout. It's shaping up to be a tough game for the Patriots against a tough team that has something to prove.

This is going to come down to the wire.

The 4th-largest point spread in playoff history probably had a big hand in that....

Archived