2016 NFL Playoffs

JWhiz96

5 minutes ago, JWhiz96 said:

That's kind of surprising, seeing as the Packers and Broncos barely met in that time period. Although I would understand if you hate Elway for Super Bowl XXXII.

I was a Browns fan in the 80's. (I didn't think much of your Steelers back then either.) Just in case you're wondering... The Packers were always my NFC team* and when the Browns moved in 1995, I went full time with the Packers. When the Browns came back in 1999, I gave it a shot, but it wasn't the same. I bought Packers stock in 2011 and here we are.

Anyway, the original Browns are why I hated John Elway. 

*Technically, the Packers were my first ever "favorite" team. Seven year old me used to watch the Packers with my grandfather. I didn't become a Browns fans until I was 11 or 12. 

BB52Big.jpg

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Packers can totally beat Dallas next week and I could see them getting by the Falcons in Atlanta. I do think they'd struggle more against Seattle, but only because the game would be at CenturyLink.

If they make it to the Super Bowl, I'd be all-in on Green Bay over the Patriots. Rodgers is every bit as good as Brady but has never the team same quality of team or coaching around him.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

5 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

I was a Browns fan in the 80's...the original Browns are why I hated John Elway.

Ah, understood.

Green Bay definitely has a shot to knock off Dallas, but I don't think they will. I think the Cowboys win in a shootout.

NSFCvyu.png

1 minute ago, JWhiz96 said:

Ah, understood.

Green Bay definitely has a shot to knock off Dallas, but I don't think they will. I think the Cowboys win in a shootout.

The key for the Cowboys will be ball control.  Now the Packers are on quite the roll, but they've benefited from the other team simply being unable to run the ball the last couple weeks.  Dallas can run the ball, and man can they get to the quarterback.  The best way to slow down Aaron Rodgers is to give him less chances to score.

The thing with hating Rodgers is that each of the other division teams passed on him.  I guess the Lions still hadn't figured out Joey Harrington sucked, Minnesota had Culpepper who was really good so at the time that was OK, and the Bears - was that Rex Grossman or Kyle Orton?  Either way, it's not like Rodgers was a Brady-type that just came out of nowhere - everybody had him ranked highly that season, and many analysts had him #1.  Not sure what caused him to drop that far, but credit the Packers for solidifying their future.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

13 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

The thing with hating Rodgers is that each of the other division teams passed on him.  I guess the Lions still hadn't figured out Joey Harrington sucked, Minnesota had Culpepper who was really good so at the time that was OK, and the Bears - was that Rex Grossman or Kyle Orton?  Either way, it's not like Rodgers was a Brady-type that just came out of nowhere - everybody had him ranked highly that season, and many analysts had him #1.  Not sure what caused him to drop that far, but credit the Packers for solidifying their future.

Bears had Grossman and Orton.  They went 11-5 that year with mostly Orton as their starter.  Rodgers was supposed to go #1 overall but the 49ers just couldn't resist taking Alex Smith.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

9 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

It was lack of need that caused him to drop. After the Niners decided Alex Smith was their man, none of the teams that picked between #2 and #23 needed a Quarterback – all had an entrenched starter or a future option they apparently believed in. The Packers didn't need a QB either, but Rodgers was far and away the best player on their draft board and, you know, best player available and stuff.

2 hours ago, GFB said:

For those of you who don't know what it feels like to be a fan of a non-Packers team in the NFC North, just imagine if the Patriots replace Tom Brady with an even better quarterback when he finally retires.

Not quite. The Packers since 2003 have been a Wild Card team here and there and didn't always win  the division (Heck, they rarely run away with it recently, 2011 the exception).

59 minutes ago, DDR said:

It was lack of need that caused him to drop. After the Niners decided Alex Smith was their man, none of the teams that picked between #2 and #23 needed a Quarterback – all had an entrenched starter or a future option they apparently believed in. The Packers didn't need a QB either, but Rodgers was far and away the best player on their draft board and, you know, best player available and stuff.

I dunno - a lot of people thought he was a franchise QB.  Looking back at that season (via google), some of the stellar QBs in the league were Jake Plummer, Jake Delhome (one of the most overrated QBs ever IMO), Kyle Boller, JP Lossman, Brian Griese, Trent Dilfer, Harrington, Drew Bledsoe (Dallas), Gus Ferotte and AJ Feeley in Miami, Patrick Ramsay (Wash), etc.

Granted Lossman was a recent 1st round pick so they weren't going away from him, but come on - those other teams should have known what they had and seized the opportunity.  Cleveland took a freaking WR even though their QB going into the season was Trent freaking Dilfer.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I dunno - a lot of people thought he was a franchise QB.  Looking back at that season (via google), some of the stellar QBs in the league were Jake Plummer, Jake Delhome (one of the most overrated QBs ever IMO), Kyle Boller, JP Lossman, Brian Griese, Trent Dilfer, Harrington, Drew Bledsoe (Dallas), Gus Ferotte and AJ Feeley in Miami, Patrick Ramsay (Wash), etc.

Granted Lossman was a recent 1st round pick so they weren't going away from him, but come on - those other teams should have known what they had and seized the opportunity.  Cleveland took a freaking WR even though their QB going into the season was Trent freaking Dilfer.

If memory serves, one of the knocks on Rodgers back then was that he had some sort of "hitch" in his throwing motion (which sounds ridiculous today.)  I could be wrong, but I remember that "hitch" being a real concern among the "experts" back then. Supposedly, the hitch in the throwing motion meant Rodgers wouldn't be able to get rid of the ball quickly enough. I also remember something to the effect that Kyle Boller's less than stellar play had led to NFL coaches cooling on Ted Teford's (I think that was his name) Cal QBs. That's how I remember it, but I could be wrong. In any case, the Packers made the steal of that draft. 

BB52Big.jpg

7 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

If memory serves, one of the knocks on Rodgers back then was that he had some sort of "hitch" in his throwing motion (which sounds ridiculous today.)  I could be wrong, but I remember that "hitch" being a real concern among the "experts" back then. Supposedly, the hitch in the throwing motion meant Rodgers wouldn't be able to get rid of the ball quickly enough. I also remember something to the effect that Kyle Boller's less than stellar play had led to NFL coaches cooling on Ted Teford's (I think that was his name) Cal QBs. That's how I remember it, but I could be wrong. In any case, the Packers made the steal of that draft. 

That's really interesting. I have noticed he has a bit of an unorthodox throwing motion (it's like a three-quarters dart throw or something), but I actually think it's a help to him as he seems to get the ball out quicker than most QBs. He's also able to put a lot of zip on the pass when he's shortarming it in a way I haven't seen many QBs be able to do, which is why I think he's so dangerous when he's on the run or when his pocket collapses. Just when you think you've got him, not only is the ball already out - but it's already in a reciever's hands 10 yards downfield.

Funny how one of the things experts were concerned about then is precisely one of the things that make him so great.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

I'm not a gambler, but I do think it's interesting to check in on the betting world every once in a while... Patriots are one of the biggest playoff favorites ever this weekend.  Started out as a -16, and it's gone down since then.

If I were a betting man I would take the Patriots even if they were 35 point favorites. IMO, the only slightly chance that the Texans have of even keeping it close is if the pass rush is working. They were able to get to Cook often. Brady and the Patriots offensive line is a bit of a different story.

10 hours ago, SabresRule7361 said:

Not quite. The Packers since 2003 have been a Wild Card team here and there and didn't always win  the division (Heck, they rarely run away with it recently, 2011 the exception).

Winning the division has little to do with having a Decepticon at quarterback. Rodgers always gets the most out of his team. Heck, this season, the Packers decided to not play with a running back and they've won every game since.

1 hour ago, jmac11281 said:

If I were a betting man I would take the Patriots even if they were 35 point favorites. IMO, the only slightly chance that the Texans have of even keeping it close is if the pass rush is working. They were able to get to Cook often. Brady and the Patriots offensive line is a bit of a different story.

I don't know about 35, but I don't think I've run across too many playoff games I thought had less of a chance of being interesting.  

So Big Ben's in a walking boot.  I get a sense that Rodgers and Brady are going to be the only players at their position to stay healthy and are inevitably going to meet in the Super Bowl.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

14 hours ago, GFB said:

@CS85 We share that solidarity, my friend.

For those of you who don't know what it feels like to be a fan of a non-Packers team in the NFC North, just imagine if the Patriots replace Tom Brady with an even better quarterback when he finally retires.

Nice!  I'll use that analogy on the chance I ever talk with a Bills, Jets, or Dolphins fan.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

For the first time since 2010 I didn't have to watch the Bengals lose a playoff game and for the first time in my life I didn't watch any of the wildcard games at all. It was...great. I probably won't watch any of the divisional games. Here are my picks based entirely on who would be the least fun to see advance. These are stone cold locks because the NFL sucks.

Steelers over Chiefs

Patriots over Texans by a hundred

Seahawks over Falcons

Packers over Cowboys. I guess Packers because they've been there more recently and the actual players on the Cowboys are fun, but I've never stopped hating Jerry Jones or the Cowboys so IDK here. 

Patriots over Steelers in another forgettable and boring Patriots championship game. 

Packers over Seahawks

Patriots over Packers in a rematch of the Super Bowl 20 years ago. It will suck. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived