NHL 2018-19

ldconcepts

7 hours ago, baymenxpac said:

The Isles, man. We sure have a colored (no pun intended) history with third jerseys.

I think as long as the orange is muted a little bit, it'll work really nicely. Like others have said, the striping will be key. You don't want them looking like traffic cones again out there (even though that was appropriate for last year's defense).

And my Isles third uni ranking is:

1) 2014 Stadium Series

2) 2003 orange

3) 2015 black

4) "Wave" (fisherman template with original logo, which was technically an alt before it was a primary)

5) 2012 black

The one thing i will say about the 2015 black is that it fixed the 'NY' mark by shortening and rounding it off, where it's elongated and kind of clunky on the stadium series jersey.The '12 black was maybe one of the least inspired and ill-fitting jerseys (identify wise) of all time in any sport.

In a vacuum, I really liked that jersey. It had a unique, nautical-inspired stripe pattern and was honestly pretty stylish (and had unique typography to build on), but it didn’t fit the Islanders and I think what it was trying to do (cement them as “New York’s Team”) is simply unattainable unless the stars align. There’s opportunity to tap into other areas of inspiration for them if they want to build a great brand.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

In a vacuum, I really liked that jersey. It had a unique, nautical-inspired stripe pattern and was honestly pretty stylish (and had unique typography to build on), but it didn’t fit the Islanders and I think what it was trying to do (cement them as “New York’s Team”) is simply unattainable unless the stars align. There’s opportunity to tap into other areas of inspiration for them if they want to build a great brand.

I assume you mean the '15? It was fine. It was Brett Yormark's attempt to have synergy between the Islanders and the Nets when the Isles moved into Barclays Center. So the black-and-white and the Nets-inspired font was really all about fitting in the "Brooklyn brand"  that Yormark has tried to cultivate. Like you said, in a vacuum, it was fine. It just didn't look like the Islanders.

I'm really looking forward to what they do with the orange. The new ownership seems to get the Islanders fan base, so hopefully, they do a nice job with it. We shall see...

Weirdly enough, I think the Isles' black third from 2011-14 could have worked in some capacity, had they not used the word mark and also made the shoulders blue to match the rest of it. I know it was pretty out-there look especially for a historic franchise like the Isles, but some aspects were pretty striking. It wasn't a good look but it had more ties to the Isles' identity then the less ugly, but soulless Nets style thirds from last year.

I also wish the Isles would go back to their dynasty era blue jersey as I think the stripes are less intrusive. I've never liked how thick the stripes are on their inaugural jerseys, especially when the Edge cut made them look massive. The thicker stripes work better on the white because it adds more colour to the jersey, while the royal blue doesn't need as much help looking colourful.

I'm not a fan of the reports suggesting the Isles are going with an orange jersey with royal blue yokes, only because as an Oilers fan I hope the Oilers get back to that look soon. 2016-17 Oilers set was perfect. Navy doesn't work for the Oilers, but more importantly the current orange is too bright and garish.

On 5/31/2018 at 11:13 AM, RollWolfpack said:

Carolina Hurricanes just announced on Twitter:

"Attend the #CanesDraft Party at @RALBeerGarden on Friday, June 22 for your exclusive first look at the #Canes new third jersey!

Event Info: https://n.carhur.com/2snjTpC"

I'd imagine we're going to be getting our first look at most of these thirds at the draft, that tends to be the pattern.

Just found these - I'm guessing they're the official Draft hats? adidas did the hats ast year, and now Fanatics as its mark on them. (It's still sort of odd that Lids sells Fanatics stuff, but they don't want to be locked out of cash flow).

https://www.lids.com/hats/style_2018-nhl-draft-structured-flex-cap

I count 7 teams missing; and then Ottawa with the O logo (meh).

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

30 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Just found these - I'm guessing they're the official Draft hats? adidas did the hats ast year, and now Fanatics as its mark on them. (It's still sort of odd that Lids sells Fanatics stuff, but they don't want to be locked out of cash flow).

Wow those are hideous. Last year's hats were great with the team striping on the side. 

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

33 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Yeah, these dots suck.

And the whole "City, State" thing on the bill really falls off when you get things like "Glendale, AZ" "Sunrise, FL" "Raleigh, NC".

The Islanders' says "Brooklyn, NY"

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

If the Islanders says "Brooklyn, NY" shouldn't the Rangers say "Manhattan, NY"?

I'm in no way advocating for that, just pointing out that if the same logic were used, it further exemplifies how silly that is.

On 6/8/2018 at 5:58 PM, insert name said:

The Islanders saying “Brooklyn, NY” rubs me off the wrong way and I’m not even an Islander fan. 

i am one, and it makes that hat an automatic pass for me, especially since their days in "brooklyn, ny" are numbered. hell, starting this year, they don't even play all their home games there.

Archived