XFL 2023 Logos, Names and Uniforms

The Golden One

I was very busy working on something yesterday, but as I was looking at the graphic and thinking about how Orlando's numbers were unique, but not terrible, and I suddenly realized that every single team has a unique number font.  And I don't think any of them are bad.  That's kinda impressive, although I don't know if it's sustainable for more than 8.

• Like 5

spacer.png

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

I was very busy working on something yesterday, but as I was looking at the graphic and thinking about how Orlando's numbers were unique, but not terrible, and I suddenly realized that every single team has a unique number font.  And I don't think any of them are bad.  That's kinda impressive, although I don't know if it's sustainable for more than 8.

I think it is, since pretty much every team in the NFL has a custom font now, save for a few teams that haven't had a big update in the last 10 years. The old XFL numbers were tall and thin, so these look better than most of those teams. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 2/26/2023 at 4:19 PM, ManillaToad said:

Those shoulder stripes are awful. San Antonio has them too

I actually prefer the shoulder stripe setup on the UA  jerseys better than the half-assed version the NFL has thrown at us for the last 20+ years where the stripes stop way to short.

My gripe with the XFL stripes is how "cutesy" they got with them (the "cracked" pattern for the Brahmas, the "scale" patter for the SeaDragons...which look NOTHING like scales) and of course the"oiler splatters" for the Roughnecks.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2023 at 7:48 PM, GFB said:

It feels a little pointless critiquing an XFL logo (because they are all bad), but the new Seattle logo looks so awkward with the negative space on the bottom of the “S” and the negative space filled in on the top half of the letterform.

Regardless, Overwatch League did the same concept better:

WPVLWXFXW65K1514931297562.jpg

I've always thought they tried too hard to force the new logo to look like the Dragon's secondary.  A 10 year old could do better.

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

On 3/2/2023 at 11:53 AM, LogoFan said:

I actually prefer the shoulder stripe setup on the UA  jerseys better than the half-assed version the NFL has thrown at us for the last 20+ years where the stripes stop way to short.

My gripe with the XFL stripes is how "cutesy" they got with them (the "cracked" pattern for the Brahmas, the "scale" patter for the SeaDragons...which look NOTHING like scales) and of course the"oiler splatters" for the Roughnecks.

Weird since Nike has been the manufacturer for only 7 years…

• Huh? 1
  • Dislike 1

On 3/2/2023 at 10:14 AM, LogoFan said:

I've always thought they tried too hard to force the new logo to look like the Dragon's secondary.  A 10 year old could do better.

spacer.png

Googled "dragon clipart" and instantly found a better logo (which forms an S) than the one Seattle settled on.

Chinese Dragon Silhouette Clip Art Chinese Dragon Silhouette, Dragon HD PNG  Download – Stunning free transparent png clipart images free download

• LOL 1
  • Dislike 4

6uXNWAo.png

19 hours ago, Cujo said:

The lone upgrade Seattle made 2020 vs 2023 is the helmets. Those white helmets from looked so damn out of place with their home uniforms.

gettyimages-1201131113-594x594-1.jpg

I think this illustrates a problem in both versions, which is that they can't figure out how to implement all three colors at once. 2020 was a navy and orange team; now they're an orange and navy team. Which is obviously a fine combination, but your logo is dang near entirely green.

• Like 1
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

3 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

I think this illustrates a problem in both versions, which is that they can't figure out how to implement all three colors at once. 2020 was a navy and orange team; now they're an orange and navy team. Which is obviously a fine combination, but your logo is dang near entirely green.

I think at some point a decision was made for the 2020 Vipers to be the green team of the XFL instead of Seattle. Everything about the 2020 logo screamed this is a green team, then came the navy blue uniforms.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

22 hours ago, dont care said:

20 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Wut? 7 years? 

The Nike NFL takeover began with the 2012 season, so 2023 will be the 12th season.

• Like 4

On 3/5/2023 at 6:19 PM, dont care said:

I didn't mention Nike.  But the shorter shoulder stripes started popping up 20 some-odd years ago on both the Colts and Jets.

On 3/6/2023 at 11:22 AM, Sodboy13 said:

I don't know, I actually felt the color balance worked just fine in the 2020 version. I really liked navy as a base color, with orange used primarily as the striping and number outlines. The green worked as a fine secondary, with the orange serving as a separator between the green and navy.

I also disagree with the suggestion made earlier that the white helmet seems out of place with this. If you gave that team a navy or green helmet, the whole set would come off as overly dark and one-note. The white helmet brings some weight balance to the whole set, especially in the absence of white pants. 

Both of Seattle's helmets (2020 White and 2023 Orange) both were good starts, but the logos & decals have failed each.

2020 WHITE HELMET:  Good color balance with the Dark Green faceguard, but the horrific oversized team logo & horrific tapered stripe ruined it, and as mentioned above, it had no business being paired with that horrific uniform.  The 2023 Orange helmet would've gone better with that set.

2023 ORANGE HELMET:  Great shell finish with the Anodized Orange, and the logo is clean and well-sized.  Then they decided to poop on all of that by plastering a giant tapered dragon skin stripe down the middle of it.  Idiots.

The 2023 Orange helmet pairs well with the Away White jersey and Orange pants, but I'm of the opinion that Orange helmet/Orange jersey is too much Orange.  I would've preferred they kept the White helmet and wore White pants with both jerseys, but then you have 2 White helmets in an 8-team league, and DC looks much better in their White helmets than they did in Red helmets, choosing Orange was safe here.

Seattle could have a nice look if they deleted the Navy shoulder stripes from both jerseys and just had a solid color jersey, and then streamlined the helmet stripe to a straight, standard width.  They could even keep the silly pattern to match the side of their pants.   The number font is no good either.  It should have some Orange on the White jersey, which is entirely devoid of Orange except for the sleeve logos.

In reality, this league is just a bunch of small tweaks to each team's uniforms away from having really respectable look.  Someone give Dwayne my number.

27 minutes ago, Volt said:

Both of Seattle's helmets (2020 White and 2023 Orange) both were good starts, but the logos & decals have failed each.

2020 WHITE HELMET:  Good color balance with the Dark Green faceguard, but the horrific oversized team logo & horrific tapered stripe ruined it, and as mentioned above, it had no business being paired with that horrific uniform.  The 2023 Orange helmet would've gone better with that set.

2023 ORANGE HELMET:  Great shell finish with the Anodized Orange, and the logo is clean and well-sized.  Then they decided to poop on all of that by plastering a giant tapered dragon skin stripe down the middle of it.  Idiots.

The 2023 Orange helmet pairs well with the Away White jersey and Orange pants, but I'm of the opinion that Orange helmet/Orange jersey is too much Orange.  I would've preferred they kept the White helmet and wore White pants with both jerseys, but then you have 2 White helmets in an 8-team league, and DC looks much better in their White helmets than they did in Red helmets, choosing Orange was safe here.

Seattle could have a nice look if they deleted the Navy shoulder stripes from both jerseys and just had a solid color jersey, and then streamlined the helmet stripe to a straight, standard width.  They could even keep the silly pattern to match the side of their pants.   The number font is no good either.  It should have some Orange on the White jersey, which is entirely devoid of Orange except for the sleeve logos.

In reality, this league is just a bunch of small tweaks to each team's uniforms away from having really respectable look.  Someone give Dwayne my number.

Seattle's shoulder/pants stripes are the same pattern as the helmet stripe. It's just that the helmet stripe is bigger/wider and so the details of the design are more prevalent. I happen to like the pattern, actually, they just need to make it work cohesively across the 3 components; helmet, jersey and pants.

• Like 3

A funny thought that popped into my head looking at the pics posted of the 2020 Seattle helmet.  I think what they were going for was one of two things:

1. The logo has a lot of features and details and colors, and making one of those many colors the background may have caused it to disappear or detail to be lost or the colors to meld.

2. (My favorite, which I hope is real) The white is meant to be a transparent layer of sorts.  The navy jersey is meant to be the sea, and the white isn't supposed to be there at all, representing negative space as the serpent rises up from the sea and roars.

• Like 3

spacer.png

spacer.png

1 hour ago, McCall said:

Seattle's shoulder/pants stripes are the same pattern as the helmet stripe. It's just that the helmet stripe is bigger/wider and so the details of the design are more prevalent. I happen to like the pattern, actually, they just need to make it work cohesively across the 3 components; helmet, jersey and pants.

I'm aware.  My point was the shape of the stripe is horrific and very late 90's, early 2000's high school era with the front front tapering into a point.  Very bush league.  It would be fine if it were just a standard 2-3" wide straight stripe.

1 hour ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

A funny thought that popped into my head looking at the pics posted of the 2020 Seattle helmet.  I think what they were going for was one of two things:

1. The logo has a lot of features and details and colors, and making one of those many colors the background may have caused it to disappear or detail to be lost or the colors to meld.

2. (My favorite, which I hope is real) The white is meant to be a transparent layer of sorts.  The navy jersey is meant to be the sea, and the white isn't supposed to be there at all, representing negative space as the serpent rises up from the sea and roars.

That logic actually probably made sense to whatever idiot designed them and whatever idiot signed off on the final designs.

• LOL 1

I'm not going to lie, I am enjoying the overall look of a lot of the XFL uniforms this cycle. The only thing I hate is obvious colored inserts based on jersey panels, not design (the Battlehawks, Brahmas and Dragons all have this issue). With that said: 

- Kind of obsessed with San Antonio's preferred yellow uniform. That shade of yellow is so unique to a sports uniform. The B created from the negative space on the back of the helmet is a cool touch. Also nice sublimated texture on helmet horns and numerals. 

- DC is just awesome. The marble pattern on the white helmet is such a great move for DC. The jersey style looks classic but has the neat DC stuck on the sleeve stripe. Clean, classic looking at a glance but with fun details. 

- Call me crazy, but the Roughnecks uniform is so fun. The "oil spout" gradient is detail I really appreciate. The numbers, even with gradient, are legible. 

- I can't believe how much I like the Vipers uniform. When the players lean into their stance and the V turns into fangs? Yeah, that's a fantastic dual use of an abstract logo. 

Only major complaint is the Renegades uniform, especially road, looks like piece-meal from different sets, kind of like what high schools do. The Dragons uniform is all over the place, horrible color balance, logo looks bush league. 

• Like 5
  • Dislike 1