MLS Kits 2019

WarriorFight

13 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

I thought they looked fantastic. There was speculation that the shade of red may have changed (I suspect it’s simply the material) but the stripes really popped last night. I enjoyed the stripes on the back and the black back really helped the numbers shine. Red socks are a nice touch. Overall a lot of minimal changes but still felt like my same club.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The numbers’ contrast with the black is excellent. The partial stripes really make it look like they’re wearing black pinnies over the jerseys, though. 

PJU85JF.png

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/27/2019 at 4:32 PM, Digby said:

Yes! Thank you for those. I knew there was a precedent for this; I seem to recall the 2006 away kit, that was navy with a red chest stripe a la Vancouver or Chicago, had a break in the middle for numbers on the pitch, but the replica version just had a full-width stripe.

The replica had the break as well. I still have mine.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 3/1/2019 at 10:25 AM, aawagner011 said:

spacer.png

Those truncated stripes are... bad. 

Nobody has a problem reading the advertiser’s logo on the front, so we know they could wear full stripes on the back without legibility issues. But if that’s not an option, they should stick with solid backs.  This looks so much better than the butt stripes:

spacer.png

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Those truncated stripes are... bad. 

Nobody has a problem reading the advertiser’s logo on the front, so we know they could wear full stripes on the back without legibility issues. But if that’s not an option, they should stick with solid backs.  This looks so much better than the butt stripes:

spacer.png

Disagree, especially if the solid back is the same color as the shorts, as it would be without stripes in the new Atlanta kit. It starts looking like two different teams any time you have players facing in opposite direction which basically means all the time. 

spacer.png

The panel at least leaves the impression of stripes and with striped teams it’s important to not leave one color completely overpower the other. Looking at it from the back, which of the two teams would you say  is a red and black team? The new Atlanta kit or 16/17 Milan?  

Full stripes are preferable, but the lower panel is the lesser of two evils. And that’s why, with more stringent regulations on the back of kits introduced, truncated stripes are still more common than the full color back for striped teams.

07Giants.pngnyy.png

19 minutes ago, anythinglogos said:

Disagree, especially if the solid back is the same color as the shorts, as it would be without stripes in the new Atlanta kit. It starts looking like two different teams any time you have players facing in opposite direction which basically means all the time. 

spacer.png

The panel at least leaves the impression of stripes and with striped teams it’s important to not leave one color completely overpower the other. Looking at it from the back, which of the two teams would you say  is a red and black team? The new Atlanta kit or 16/17 Milan?  

Full stripes are preferable, but the lower panel is the lesser of two evils. And that’s why, with more stringent regulations on the back of kits introduced, truncated stripes are still more common than the full color back for striped teams.

The thing is, in game, no team will have a black kit on when playing Milan when they wear that, same for Atlanta, and Atlanta has a red top. I agree with @Gothamite solid backs are better

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

The visual experience of watching Toronto FC and Philadelphia Union on ESPN+ is that the new all-white uniforms looks crisp and clean on TV. There's zero visual clutter, and for lack of a better word, it looks very professional. Though maybe also spartan.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

9 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

The visual experience of watching Toronto FC and Philadelphia Union on ESPN+ is that the new all-white uniforms looks crisp and clean on TV. There's zero visual clutter, and for lack of a better word, it looks very professional. Though maybe also spartan.

Phila should be wearing their primary kit. There's still no clash.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

12 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

The camera they're using is shockingly bad, looks like grainy YouTube footage

15 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

This is my controversial opinion that I don’t hate monochrome uniforms for this reason. Crisp is good. Soccer players are small on broadcast, especially if you’re watching on a phone these days. 

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Yeah, I much prefer light vs dark. White against color will almost always be preferred to me over color vs color.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

31 minutes ago, BellaSpurs said:

The thing is, in game, no team will have a black kit on when playing Milan when they wear that, same for Atlanta, and Atlanta has a red top. I agree with @Gothamite solid backs are better

Even if there is no other team that is wearing black (and even then you need to be tighter with the clashes than usual), it still doesn’t mean the players look alike. Uniforms are used so that the teams can be just that, uniform. If all it takes for a player is to turn around for there to be little uniformity between players, the uniform has failed.Consider this picture 

spacer.png

The only way I can tell that the player heading the ball is on the same team as Bacca and Gomez is because their shorts and socks are the same and logically there won’t be a third team on the field. One is wearing a red and black striped shirt, the other two are wearing black shirts. When the NBA All Star game had teams wearing their regular uniforms the home team knew that none of their opponents would wear white, it doesn’t mean that it would have been a good idea to play a real game with players in different uniforms.

07Giants.pngnyy.png

On 3/1/2019 at 10:07 AM, hawk36 said:

According to them they did pick a regional color. The color of the summer sunsets when devastating wild fires are engulfing the region.  

Yesterday's sunset:

And they clearly said the pink was selected from the 2-0 win over Portland in 2014, which wasn't a wildfire year.

3 minutes ago, anythinglogos said:

Even if there is no other team that is wearing black (and even then you need to be tighter with the clashes than usual), it still doesn’t mean the players look alike. Uniforms are used so that the teams can be just that, uniform. If all it takes for a player is to turn around for there to be little uniformity between players, the uniform has failed.Consider this picture 

spacer.png

The only way I can tell that the player heading the ball is on the same team as Bacca and Gomez is because their shorts and socks are the same and logically there won’t be a third team on the field. One is wearing a red and black striped shirt, the other two are wearing black shirts. When the NBA All Star game had teams wearing their regular uniforms the home team knew that none of their opponents would wear white, it doesn’t mean that it would have been a good idea to play a real game with players in different uniforms.

I think most people can make the connection that there isn't 3 team playing and the black team happens to have red stripes on the front of their jersey. It's not like its crazy hard to assume that

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

The cut looks a little bit looser this season, doesn't it? I feel like over the past couple of seasons I could see what players had had for lunch; not much the case in 2019 so far.

Both Columbus and NYRB look pretty sharp right now.

1 hour ago, RayFinkle said:

I liked the Philly Union kit. Bad result though vs. Toronto today.

I attend a couple of Union games per year. Sick and tired of that dark blue home kit. Hope the white is worn more at home this season.

It’s a shame that they dropped the center stripe. That was a distinct and unique look in the league. Now they could be any number of teams.

Here’s a look at those red numbers. I like the color choice, especially given the historical aspect, but this is hard to read.

Needs a white outline at the very least, or to keep the stripe limited to only the front.

It’s a beautiful kit otherwise. I think it could be improved with red numbers on the shorts and a similar stripe on the socks but still gorgeous.

Clearly wasn't paying attention when Cincy unveiled their white kits. Was surprised to see the numbers are black. Thought going with blue numbers would have been the move.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Archived