NBA Changes 2019-20

kolob

36 minutes ago, MattMill said:

The NCAA used to have a undershirt rule years ago, which stated it had to match the jersey color. I hope the NBA gets in line with this Anthony Davis crap. It looks 100 times more tacky than these bands. 

Not familiar with what you’re talking with AD? His compression shirts under the jersey? I think the NBA’s rule is black or team color, no?

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, kimball said:

Not familiar with what you’re talking with AD? His compression shirts under the jersey? I think the NBA’s rule is black or team color, no?

I think he's implying that undershirts in the NBA shouldn't be allowed but the problem with that is I believe there's an actual medical reason for Davis to wear it as it's an NBA rule that you can't wear it for no reason.

Headband prevent sweat getting in your eyes but you can just wear a normal headband on your head instead of a glorified durag. From what I can tell, the simple fabric of a Ninja Headband is much better than the traditional headband. Maybe Nike could make a new headband with new material similar to the ninja headband? I think that would be a good compromise.

bSLCtu2.png

6 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

I think he's implying that undershirts in the NBA shouldn't be allowed but the problem with that is I believe there's an actual medical reason for Davis to wear it as it's an NBA rule that you can't wear it for no reason.

Oooooh ... gotcha. That makes sense, I think I remember Kobe and/or Dwight wearing the compression shirts too because of medical reasons? Much better than any sleeved jersey that's for sure.

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

12 hours ago, kimball said:

I'm talking strictly the color. Years ago they had NCAA athletes that had to wear not just team colors, but match the color of the jersey they were wearing. Maybe it was an implied rule from 17-19 yrs back when only a half dozen guys did it. 

I'm guessing AD is doing his own thing. 

I found some newer rules that a undershirt for NCAA athletes must be a color similar to the game jersey. Headbands and sleeves and such must be a single color and one that's within the color spectrum of the team colors, white, black, or beige. 

So it looks like for the NBA at least, an undershirt is more of a compression sleeve for the under body. They can't get AD a Laker yellow under shirt?  He wore black constantly with his red pelicans jersey. I like under shirts just fine, but they haven't exactly gotten it right with the NBA yet. 

12 minutes ago, MattMill said:

I'm talking strictly the color. Years ago they had NCAA athletes that had to wear not just team colors, but match the color of the jersey they were wearing. Maybe it was an implied rule from 17-19 yrs back when only a half dozen guys did it. 

I'm guessing AD is doing his own thing. 

I found some newer rules that a undershirt for NCAA athletes must be a color similar to the game jersey. Headbands and sleeves and such must be a single color and one that's within the color spectrum of the team colors, white, black, or beige. 

So it looks like for the NBA at least, an undershirt is more of a compression sleeve for the under body. They can't get AD a Laker yellow under shirt?  He wore black constantly with his red pelicans jersey. I like under shirts just fine, but they haven't exactly gotten it right with the NBA yet. 

Yeah, I remember Patrick Ewing was probably the most famous of the NCAA athletes who wore the undershirt. That makes sense.

I'm fine with black compression under the jerseys instead of team colors mainly because they'd turn out looking like these ...

59bbf0119803c51d008b64a0-750-537.jpg

And, we don't need that again. 😂

1 hour ago, kimball said:

Yeah, I remember Patrick Ewing was probably the most famous of the NCAA athletes who wore the undershirt. That makes sense.

I'm fine with black compression under the jerseys instead of team colors mainly because they'd turn out looking like these ...

59bbf0119803c51d008b64a0-750-537.jpg

And, we don't need that again. 😂

I can't find the quote, but I remember Steve Nash suggesting that they should have sleeved jerseys for those that would want it, but leave the sleeveless as the standard. So then you'd have sleeved and sleeveless on the court at the same time.spacer.pngspacer.png

48 minutes ago, mgfoxx said:

I can't find the quote, but I remember Steve Nash suggesting that they should have sleeved jerseys for those that would want it, but leave the sleeveless as the standard. So then you'd have sleeved and sleeveless on the court at the same time.spacer.pngspacer.png

I'd actually be okay with that even though the sleeved sets seemed pretty unpopular among the players. I don't dismiss the possibility that there were some players that enjoyed them.

4 hours ago, anythinglogos said:

Bizzare rule, an uncommonly No Fun League stance from the NBA. Wonder what their reasoning was

Probably consulted David Stern.

13 hours ago, kimball said:

Oooooh ... gotcha. That makes sense, I think I remember Kobe and/or Dwight wearing the compression shirts too because of medical reasons? Much better than any sleeved jersey that's for sure.

Undershirts seemed like a better marketing solution than sleeved jerseys all along...why not allow undershirts for pros to "normalize" them for fans?

13 minutes ago, chakfu said:

Undershirts seemed like a better marketing solution than sleeved jerseys all along...why not allow undershirts for pros to "normalize" them for fans?

They made sleeved jerseys so guys who didn't want to show their arms felt comfortable buying replicas. Little did Adidas anticipate Golden State Warriors fans being all-too-comfortable wearing regular jerseys over polos and dress shirts.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

6 hours ago, DG_Now said:

They made sleeved jerseys so guys who didn't want to show their arms felt comfortable buying replicas. Little did Adidas anticipate Golden State Warriors fans being all-too-comfortable wearing regular jerseys over polos and dress shirts.

HA! Silicon Valley in a nutshell. Don’t forget you gotta tuck them into pants.

My solution was make those sleeved versions of the usual jerseys as replica options, which I believe Fanatics or Nike has started doing for women's cut jerseys (at least some of them). The actual athletes can look like athletes and have the practical option; the dorks in the stands can maintain their dignity but still wear a jersey. But, yes, this did happen:

9 hours ago, DG_Now said:

15 hours ago, anythinglogos said:

Nike clearly produces “ninja” headbands though 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Bizzare rule, an uncommonly No Fun League stance from the NBA. Wonder what their reasoning was

Ah but are they officially licensed NBA ninja headbands? 

Haven't they been sticklers about un-licensed headbands in the past?

52 minutes ago, Digby said:

My solution was make those sleeved versions of the usual jerseys as replica options, which I believe Fanatics or Nike has started doing for women's cut jerseys (at least some of them). The actual athletes can look like athletes and have the practical option; the dorks in the stands can maintain their dignity but still wear a jersey.

So, a fancier shirsey in jersey material?

Not the worst idea.  Essentially the difference between pro-cut NFL on-field jerseys, and the retail ones with actual sleeves.

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

I think the player sweatshirts that Nike made when they first came into the league were really nice, and seemed like they could be something the casual fan could buy.

DMikn2mW0AAfvOd.jpg:large

However, as you can, they were just cut too narrow. Which looks great if you're in NBA shape. But if you don't, or at the wrong angle like Melo above, you look like trash.

The way to make playerwear marketable to the casual fan is to make it roomy; there's a reason you see more big party animals in hockey and football jerseys than soccer or basketball.

I don't know how you can make replica NBA jerseys work for guys who aren't in relatively good shape without adding sleeves. I get why Adidas tried, but if the 2016 championship Cavs jersey didn't take off as replica wear, nothing was going to.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

15 hours ago, anythinglogos said:

Nike clearly produces “ninja” headbands though 

spacer.png

spacer.png

My gut says that people complained that it didn't look professional or it looked sloppy. Personally my only contention with giving players so many uniform accessory options and flexibility is that it takes away from the uniform aspect of the team looking the same. Allowing the team to be individualists somewhat undermines the concept of not making your self a separate entity from the team (on the court). It's an aspect of ego expression

Archived