NBA Changes 2019-20

kolob

I don’t follow the nba and I’m saying this with the utmost respect out of yesterday’s tragedy, but do you think everyone is rushing to judgment with their feelings right now such as changing the league logo or retiring numbers league wide? Granted, Kobe was a league great, but would anyone be speaking of these type of changes if nothing like this happens? I see nothing wrong with tributes such as Kobe night, patches, bands, players changing their numbers, etc, but was this ever a thought when he just retired? Again, not taking away from the tragedy or anyone’s life...just simply writing this as a basic sports fan who likes uniforms. Maybe I just don’t understand the dynamics or culture of the Nba and their teams are much smaller than other leagues or their logo isn’t just a silhouette or shield. It’s a specific person currently. Maybe I’m just not familiar enough with his career or impact on the game. Not degrading the person or the impact on the game, just thinking league wide.

KISSwall09.jpg

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A league wide memorial patch seems appropriate. A league wide retirement of #8 or #24 would be a huge overreaction. Kobe was a great player, but he did not have the game shifting impact that say Jackie Robinson had on baseball.

11 hours ago, itsmb8 said:

Dallas has officially retired the number 24.  Id like to see the other 28 teams follow suit.

I think this is way too far. I think it's silly that Dallas did it really, it's like how the Heat retired 23 because of Jordan for some reason.

Kobe is undoubtedly one of the most important figures in the history of the NBA, and is certainly transcends basketball as a sporting legend and cultural icon. But a leaguewide retirement is an enormous thing that can't be undone. Do we then retire jerseys leaguewide for Jordan? LeBron? Shaq? Magic? Bird? Kareem? Wilt? Where does it end? A leaguewide retirement should be reserved for a Gretzky-like level of dominance, which we'll likely never see again in any major sport.

My personal thought is that even the "best ever in a sport" is still completely subjective. Therefore, numbers should only be subject to league-wide retirement if the player did something of historical significance (i.e. - Jackie Robinson breaking baseball's color barrier).

I’d be okay with a league wide retirement but perhaps there is a more fitting way to honor him. Personally, as a Celtics fan, we already have 24 for Sam Jones and 8 is one of our few good numbers left. I’d be cool with a logo change.

I'd be more cool with a NBA logo change had the NBA done it while Kobe was still alive (ie the season after he retired). 

That would have been way more meaningful. 

Changing it now is just CFCS. 

I say permanently put a silhouette of him shooting a jumper on the apron of the Lakers floor (kinda like the Mavs' tribute to Dirk), or put his signature on the court like the Celtics did with Red. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The story is heartbreaking and I feel horrible for the family and the many people who loved Kobe Bryant. That said, I feel like we are still in a period of knee-jerk reactions to make up for a tragedy (WHICH IS ENTIRELY UNDERSTANDABLE).

Kobe didn't earn a league-wide jersey retirement in my opinion. Nor do I feel his impact was so large as to be worthy of a new NBA logo. The tragic circumstances of his passing doesn't change my feelings on these matters, but I totally understand why people feel this way and would look to honor someone they respected so much. The HOF is already saying they will waive usual rules and induct Kobe next year. That seems fitting to me, especially for someone that is a no-doubt first ballot all timer type.

I think a patch league-wide would be appropriate. Whatever the Lakers choose to do is fine. Not in favor of purple v gold all-star game or whatever but whatever tribute the players are in favor of is fine with me (wearing his numbers or what have you).

I feel as if the Lakers will bring back the court that was used in Kobe's final NBA game or something inspired by it. And I'm more than certain that they'll issue their own memorial patch. I also see a universal patch for the other 29 teams. And if that's the case, then I'm hoping it's more than just a black stripe. I'm surprised that Nike and the league didn't produce something more thoughtful for David Stern.

10 minutes ago, Satomiblood said:

I feel as if the Lakers will bring back the court that was used in Kobe's final NBA game or something inspired by it. And I'm more than certain that they'll issue their own memorial patch. I also see a universal patch for the other 29 teams. And if that's the case, then I'm hoping it's more than just a black stripe. I'm surprised that Nike and the league didn't produce something more thoughtful for David Stern.

It’s gotten hard to produce a thoughtful memorial patch after Nike and ads took up all the space

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

We’re definitely in the period of knee jerk reaction (which is fine). But the NBA logo is too iconic to change, and retiring a number for a player that didn’t play for the team is silly, except in a case like Jackie Robinson where it was a league changing accomplishment. I do hope the Lakers wear the Kobe designed jerseys on Tuesday, or even replace the Shaq jerseys with those. Surely they have a few dozens lying around. It would be nice if Wish gave up its spot to put a Kobe patch until the end of the season instead but I doubt they will do it. 

07Giants.pngnyy.png

One thing I'd like to see that I think accommodates the desire to honor Kobe without rushing into a wholesale, permanent change would be a one-time waiver from the NBA's rules to allow players to change to 8 or 24 for the remainder of the season.

Cubes retired 24 because that was the post-MJ/pre-LeBron's 2nd Act era in the West that really only 3 teams can relate to; Lakers with Kobe, Spurs with Tim, and Mavs with Dirk. All 3 played 20+ years with their team. Probably never gonna see that again. It's different for fans of those 3.

And the league should definitely change the logo to Kobe. Jerry West himself has said he thinks it's time to change the logo, so that's inevitable. At this point if they change it to anyone other than Kobe, MJ or LeBron then it's bad for the league.

18 hours ago, itsmb8 said:

Dallas has officially retired the number 24.

I was surprised by this just for the fact that Mark Aguirre who wore #24 with the team should have it retired.

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

1 hour ago, Primzahl said:

Cubes retired 24 because that was the post-MJ/pre-LeBron's 2nd Act era in the West that really only 3 teams can relate to; Lakers with Kobe, Spurs with Tim, and Mavs with Dirk. All 3 played 20+ years with their team. Probably never gonna see that again. It's different for fans of those 3.

And the league should definitely change the logo to Kobe. Jerry West himself has said he thinks it's time to change the logo, so that's inevitable. At this point if they change it to anyone other than Kobe, MJ or LeBron then it's bad for the league.

I feel like choosing one of those three almost makes it political, given the heated debates over the GOAT. Doubt they'd go with James since he's currently playing. Doubt they go Michael since his silhouette is already a corporate mark. With Kobe I just don't see the real reason to change the logo other than as some sort of honor, which I've stated my feelings about above.

Regardless of West's comments, it's an iconic logo that has stood for decades without issue. There really isn't a good reason to change it IMO. The fact that many people are unaware that it is West/he's become a more obscure figure in basketball lore to the general public is PERFECT. Why would someone besides those three be bad for the league?

Regarding the logo thing, I am ALL FOR IT.

An actual player is the silhouette (Jerry West)  on the current logo and thats been around for over 50 years now at least. I think its the respectable thing to do to update it to Kobe. No player in the history of the game has passed away so tragically that meant so much to the game. On top of that I am 99% sure that Jerry West would approve seeing that Kobe was like a son to him and would be a passing of the torch.

8 hours ago, El Scorcho said:

I think this is way too far. I think it's silly that Dallas did it really, it's like how the Heat retired 23 because of Jordan for some reason.

Kobe is undoubtedly one of the most important figures in the history of the NBA, and is certainly transcends basketball as a sporting legend and cultural icon. But a leaguewide retirement is an enormous thing that can't be undone. Do we then retire jerseys leaguewide for Jordan? LeBron? Shaq? Magic? Bird? Kareem? Wilt? Where does it end? A leaguewide retirement should be reserved for a Gretzky-like level of dominance, which we'll likely never see again in any major sport.

Agree, even the Gretzky retirement is ridiculess, retire it for the teams he played for, or even better, just one of them, not the whole league.

He has records yes, but they can be broken.

99 in Edmonton and LA, that must be enough.

Obviously, the Lakers will wear a patch for Kobe.  If other teams chose to do the same, then that's okay, too.  But, changing the logo or retiring the number league wide is an over reaction.  Kobe was great, but there have been great players whose numbers could also be retired, but aren't.  What if down the road, another great player dies, do we change the logo again?  Has there every been a situation where the entire league would wear a patch in memory of a player's death?  

35 minutes ago, andregunts said:

Regarding the logo thing, I am ALL FOR IT.

An actual player is the silhouette (Jerry West)  on the current logo and thats been around for over 50 years now at least. I think its the respectable thing to do to update it to Kobe. No player in the history of the game has passed away so tragically that meant so much to the game. On top of that I am 99% sure that Jerry West would approve seeing that Kobe was like a son to him and would be a passing of the torch.

passed away so tragically... uhm, flying in a private helicopter or small plane is very dangerous. accidents often happen, even military helicopters often crash, and rally driver Colin Mcrae and baseballs Roy halladay was killed in similar fashion.

Dieing in a accident is no more tragic then getting cancer and suffering for years then only to die in great pain.

And that could happen to Lebron or Michael Jordan, etc.  should we change the logo again then, or is that kind of death not tragic enough?

Also, you don't update a logo because  it has been around for X amount of years, that is what makes it classic.  Imagine if the Yankees thought like that.

Archived