NBA Changes 2019-20

kimball

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, Satomiblood said:

Speaking of conference alignment, the structure was pretty weird in the late 80s/early 90s for the Magic, Hornets, and Heat. All 3 of those teams took turns in the Western Conference's Midwest Division (one season apiece from 1988-89 to 1990-91). And they actually had western conference type schedules too. The T-Wolves were exempt from this.

Yeah, it's kind of odd that they went with the rotating schedule considering no one rotated into the Pacific Division and the Wolves didn't move. 

This was the only explanation I could find. From the Washington Post ...

(SIDE NOTE: So glad they went with Hornets and not Spirit).

Stern said that a major problem was how the four teams would be aligned with the present 23 teams. The league decided upon a rotating divisional structure in the initial three seasons of expansion before settling into permanent alignment in 1991-92 with Miami and Orlando in the Atlantic Division, Charlotte in the Central and Minneapolis-St. Paul in the Midwest.

In 1988-89, the Charlotte Spirit will play in the Atlantic Division, which includes the Washington Bullets, and the Miami Heat in the Midwest, with Sacramento moving permanently from the Midwest into the Pacific. In 1989-90, Charlotte and the Minneapolis Timberwolves will compete in the Midwest Division, the Orlando Magic in the Central and Miami in the Atlantic. The following season, 1990-91, Minneapolis and Orlando will play in the Midwest Division, Charlotte in the Central and Miami in the Atlantic.

The next year, 1991-92, the teams will assume their permanent spots.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

54 minutes ago, Conrad. said:

I love the nostalgia and all, but ... THOSE PINSTRIPES are an extra 2-3 clicks too large.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

1 minute ago, NunsDupreAllDay said:

@Conrad. I thought you said it wasn't a purple jersey?! Were you just trying to get us off the scent or is there something else they are releasing today?!

This is what @Conrad. said ...

On 8/17/2019 at 7:06 PM, Conrad. said:

It's definitely not a black jersey. 

kimball banner.png

2 hours ago, anythinglogos said:

It bugs me that they’re using Hugo on the waistband when the original had the C-Hornet logo

I agree on the white and teak throwbacks. They switched to Hugo at least by 1992-93, but the purple alts -- sans the pinstripes -- are fairly accurate.

c14_highfives_20_18359195.jpg?w=1000&h=17_1.jpg?itok=CsDJzvXU

kimball banner.png

That is another great throwback for the Hornets, but the overly thick pinstripes mess it up. How can one not notice such an obvious and egregious error and not fix it already going into the third season, it's beyond me.

The pinstripes on the M&N version that @Conrad. posted, while thicker, aren't as thick either.

The M&N versions aren’t as thick as the new ones. Very solid look, though. I love how they rotated jerseys around their 30th anniversary, with the white being y29, the teal being y30, and the purple being y31.

3 hours ago, Conrad. said:

Almost the easiest thing to get right and Jordan still found a way to mess it up. Either way, beautiful jerseys, and a modernized set of the classic 89-96 set would be literally the best option for the Hornets. Nothing good outside of Kemba has come out of the new set, and fans adore the classic stuff. Just do it already!

the user formerly known as cdclt

2 hours ago, pepis21 said:

Third season of Hornets throwback and third season of wrong font on NOB. It should be Rockwell like on wordmark and numbers.

Gross. Charlotte and Dallas have always had problems with their throwbacks.

kimball banner.png

5 hours ago, kimball said:

Yeah, it's kind of odd that they went with the rotating schedule considering no one rotated into the Pacific Division and the Wolves didn't move. 

This was the only explanation I could find. From the Washington Post ...

(SIDE NOTE: So glad they went with Hornets and not Spirit).

Minneapolis Timberwolves, too! That's a mouthful.

ExJworW.png

14 hours ago, anythinglogos said:

It bugs me that they’re using Hugo on the waistband when the original had the C-Hornet logo

Not on the purple alts they didn't. They stopped using the original C-Hornet logo on the waistband in 1991.

Archived