College Football 2019

29texan

23 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

Shame they didn’t axe the purple helmet.

spacer.png

I know chrome helmets in general can be a bit tacky, but for some reason, purple chrome helmets work for me. I think that helmet will look better in the sunlight. Although I suppose that could be hard to find in Seattle. 

This is still one of my favorite helmets in football.

848053140-smu-v-tcu.jpg.jpg&

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, j'villejags said:

I know chrome helmets in general can be a bit tacky, but for some reason, purple chrome helmets work for me. I think that helmet will look better in the sunlight. Although I suppose that could be hard to find in Seattle. 

This is still one of my favorite helmets in football.

848053140-smu-v-tcu.jpg.jpg&

The difference being that purple is a very traditional lid color for TCU, so it still reads as a familiar look. Purple helmets for Washington, while a school color, are not a classic style for them, and a far cry from the traditional gold lids with the stripes.

6 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

The difference being that purple is a very traditional lid color for TCU, so it still reads as a familiar look. Purple helmets for Washington, while a school color, are not a classic style for them, and a far cry from the traditional gold lids with the stripes.

They've worn purple as far back as the 90's. The problem here is the decal doesn't stand out from the helmet. It's the same issue Louisville has with it's red and black helmets.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

20 hours ago, j'villejags said:

Less is more for Nebraska. If they keep the simple and clean design of the home set, I think it works. 

mbVEdBo.png

And for the purists who would want to keep the helmet untouched:

LBZvPl6.png

The black helmet stripe and face-mask help negate the BFBS effect on the jersey.

The no phone media showcase was last night so we have some articles regarding the new uniforms.

The Athletic

Seattle Times

Some highlights from the article on things not obvious from the leaks.

Slightly deeper shade of purple.

Gold pants is adidas attempt to match the gold helmet as close as possible.

The block numbers have an angle of 15 degrees to match the angle of the block W.

Numbers have a raindrop pattern.

Seamless primeknit for unrestricted range of motion
Climacool enhanced breathability.

Eye catching alternate uniforms to be used once or twice a season starting in 2020.

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

17 minutes ago, lilgump said:

The no phone media showcase was last night so we have some articles regarding the new uniforms.

The Athletic

Seattle Times

Some highlights from the article on things not obvious from the leaks.

Slightly deeper shade of purple.

Gold pants is adidas attempt to match the gold helmet as close as possible.

The block numbers have an angle of 15 degrees to match the angle of the block W.

Numbers have a raindrop pattern.

Seamless primeknit for unrestricted range of motion
Climacool enhanced breathability.

Eye catching alternate uniforms to be used once or twice a season starting in 2020.

From the Times: "The angular numeral font is also supposedly reminiscent of the Don James era." 

lol "it might be something Don James kinda maybe would have probably done"

I'm amazed that this unveiling plan at adidas was approved.  Unnecessary boat, unnecessarily restricted...all for unnecessary gimmicks in the numbers. Most true statement ever: "Let’s be honest. This is more than a little absurd."

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

5 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

They've worn purple as far back as the 90's. The problem here is the decal doesn't stand out from the helmet. It's the same issue Louisville has with it's red and black helmets.

And the 90s purple helmets have been hated and mocked locally ever since they debuted. It came about on the heels of legendary coach Don James stepping down and the new coach, Lambright, wanted to create a new look for his tenure. A time most UW fans want to forget.  

11 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

That's a good point -- I just meant purple chrome is a guilty pleasure of mine, so I'm more receptive to it. :)

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

5 hours ago, mafiaman said:

The black helmet stripe helps negate the BFBS effect on the jersey.

I agree it helps tie the look together. I'd prefer it to have the black facemask and stripe, while leaving the red N on the side. They nearly got the helmet right with that previous black alternate, but couldn't resist slapping that red stripe(?) on the facemask. 

18 hours ago, MattMill said:

Zoom in. The white jersey has a white outline on that purple number set

very confusing tonal options they went with. Much like the Oregon ducks in some of their choices. 

i believe what @bkknight95 means is that the purple jersey's numbers have an outline similar to the color of the numeral itself, while the white jersey's numerals contrast with their outline (white outlined in gold is light/light, purple outlined in white is dark/light). The farther away you get, the more your eyes will blur the two together, thus giving the white/gold numerals a heavier visual presence against a dark backdrop than the purple/white ones against a white backdrop.

50 minutes ago, Power_Ranger_Rick said:

i believe what @bkknight95 means is that the purple jersey's numbers have an outline similar to the color of the numeral itself, while the white jersey's numerals contrast with their outline (white outlined in gold is light/light, purple outlined in white is dark/light). The farther away you get, the more your eyes will blur the two together, thus giving the white/gold numerals a heavier visual presence against a dark backdrop than the purple/white ones against a white backdrop.

Basically. Looking at the picture again, the white jersey numbers do have outlines but it looks like they are white outlines on a white jersey. You basically said what I meant with actually clarity 😁

AmPJ0Ty.png 

6 hours ago, j'villejags said:

I agree it helps tie the look together. I'd prefer it to have the black facemask and stripe, while leaving the red N on the side. They nearly got the helmet right with that previous black alternate, but couldn't resist slapping that red stripe(?) on the facemask. 

Yea, that face-mask looked ridiculous.

On 7/2/2019 at 8:54 AM, CrimsonBull9584 said:

I actually miss the gold triangles on the "northwest" corner of the uniforms. I thought that was something unique to UW and could have stayed. 

I too thought that element should stay, everything else should go. Including all chrome. Maybe a shined alt purple helmet with a gold W. I bet they will likely add a black jersey version to go with that helmet. Not needed. Won't miss the armpit spikes, colored sleeves, and unnecessary black elements.  

On 7/2/2019 at 9:07 PM, ljginger said:

That was put there because they were trying to claim they owned the NW territory except they've lost 13 of their last 15 games to the Ducks so that's laughable! 

Yet still own a 14 game lead in the all-time series.

+6 more conference championships.

Over 2x as many appearances in the Rose Bowl.

+ this

spacer.png

And there was a time when the Huskies wore purple and gold shells at the same time during game action.  If I remember correctly the players wore purple as a reward the rest of the team wore gold helmets.  The only thing the missed was pant stripes for the DJ era.  Much improved and as a Husky Alumnus I am happy they moved to a darker purple.  

FYI- the 90s Purple was bad because the used yellow not gold.  Plus really when you think UW you envision Gold shells with purple W’s.  

"Try not to have a good time ... This is supposed to be educational."

- Charles Schulz

viks.jpg

Found it...”During Jim Owens' tenure, an outstanding defensive player was awarded the honor of wearing a purple helmet. Rick Redman, an All-American linebacker in the 1960s, wore one. It was rather intimidating for the opposing quarterback to stand behind his center and see this lone purple-helmeted player staring him down before each play. In 1973 and 1974, Owens' last two seasons, the entire team wore purple helmets.”

there are pics pics online to if you search it...I could not get it to post. 

"Try not to have a good time ... This is supposed to be educational."

- Charles Schulz

viks.jpg

This is as close as the Huskies have been to a decent look in a long time, but man does that Adidas template stretch those numbers like with Georgia Tech.

As a Wazzu fan let me just say that I love how those colors - as long as the gold is tan - can never really produce a great look. And I’m shocked they got away from the dated 00s font. The athletic department splashes that EVERYWHERE on campus even though it’s not that cool.

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

26 minutes ago, Hobogrish said:

And there was a time when the Huskies wore purple and gold shells at the same time during game action.  If I remember correctly the players wore purple as a reward the rest of the team wore gold helmets.  The only thing the missed was pant stripes for the DJ era.  Much improved and as a Husky Alumnus I am happy they moved to a darker purple.  

FYI- the 90s Purple was bad because the used yellow not gold.  Plus really when you think UW you envision Gold shells with purple W’s.  

Pant stripes, though great looking, would not be accurate for the championship era:

spacer.png

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived