NHL changes 2019-20

BJ Sands

Because the league wanted those cities and not Hamilton. Their outrage over ticket pledges was just a pretense for protecting Toronto/Buffalo/Delaware North.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, TheLAKnight said:

I like what Nashville went with for the fauxback logo. There's a few issues with the perspective of the teeth (the back fang should protrude on the right side of the front fang), but overall it really fits the old school aesthetic. It reminds me a bit of the Hamilton Tigers.

1. Original

2. Navy and gold switched

3. Navy and gold switched + eye, nose, and mouth filled

spacer.png spacer.png  spacer.png

The yellow ones are clearly colored better, but do not give the same retro wool vibe the design is supposed to give. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

32 minutes ago, squamfan said:

but vegas and seattle got to do it, and they were fine

Vegas and Seattle had permission from the league to go ahead with those season ticket drives.  Plus, those were for potential expansion teams.  Different situation.  The NHL, rightly or wrongly, were still trying to keep the Predators in Nashville, which ended up being the right thing.

the actual navy-heavy logo is better than these alterations, in my opinion.

the yellow version looks unintentionally poorly drawn, like a Jr. High kid's MS Paint concept. Potential, but not really good.

the navy version looks intentionally retro and sloppy, like an old-timey felt patch. does exactly what it needs to do. i really like it, even as an actual primary logo. it has an old timey sports feeling. I've never liked the predators primary logo. I actually slightly preferred it when it was chromey power rangers one from back when they used silver. the simplified current primary is just shaped oddly and overly flat.

but i sorta just went on a tangent about the preds lackluster primary logo for no reason, so i'll get back to the logo in question.

it works in navy because you KNOW it's going to be used almost exclusively on a yellow background. the navy version checks all the boxes. i really really like it.

See, take that second alteration, smooth the lines to modernize it, have a curve shape to make the bottom white like a real cat, and there’s a modern update and better logo. I might try it if I have time. 

EDIT:  See my topic on Concepts page for what i'm thinking.  don't want to bog down this thread.

19 hours ago, ColeJ said:

the actual navy-heavy logo is better than these alterations, in my opinion.

Agreed. And it's the way to go if you're going to put it on a gold sweater. A gold-heavy logo would get lost on one. That being said, using a gold version on the road whites would be a fun way to further the retro feel. Sort of like how classic teams like the Maple Leafs, Bruins, and Red Wings all had or have logo variations depending on the base sweater colour.

Regardless? I love the logo, not just as a successful faux-back logo but as the best sabre-toothed tiger logo the team's ever had. The current primary is still just a recoloured version of a late 90s exaggerated animal design. It still reads like a 90s expansion team logo, despite the removal of the more over-the-top elements. This new retro-inspired logo, by being so well-done as a faux-back, looks like the logo of a more "mature" team.

The Preds have a Stanley Cup Finals appearance and a strong fanbase to show for themselves now so switching to this full-time might be a good way to signal that they're no longer "just" an expansion team. It's the franchise "growing up."

That, and it just looks better.

On 10/1/2019 at 1:03 PM, TheLAKnight said:

I like what Nashville went with for the fauxback logo. There's a few issues with the perspective of the teeth (the back fang should protrude on the right side of the front fang), but overall it really fits the old school aesthetic. It reminds me a bit of the Hamilton Tigers.

1. Original

2. Navy and gold switched

3. Navy and gold switched + eye, nose, and mouth filled

spacer.png spacer.png  spacer.png

I think option three is actually perfect. It's, I dare say, the best possible option for the Predators no matter what they do after this. I hope that this logo gets used a ton, eventually taking over as the primary.

the user formerly known as cdclt

Los Angeles Kings Tweak Their Primary Logo

October 3, 2019 - 02:45 AM

The Los Angeles Kings have a new primary logo this season, but before you get too excited, prepare yourself, the change is so minor that the team didn’t even bother making an announcement about it. Striping has changed around the […]

Read More...

On 10/1/2019 at 1:03 PM, TheLAKnight said:

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

I like the navy option...It's amazing how light marks on dark "pop" much more than dark on light. The striping and whiskers on the navy background look full, rich...while the dark markings look almost skimpy. The cut-felt look is great and that look can be further enhanced by some creative embroidery.👍

11 hours ago, WSU151 said:

I have a feeling the Predators already know the WC jersey (or a slight update thereof) will become a future alternate. 

They're supposed to unveil an alternate too. I don't get why a franchise that's gone without an alt since '11 is doing two in the same season, but here we are. If the WC alt proves to be more popular, I could see them making it the new one, in a few seasons. I'd be surprised if it's planned, though.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

16 hours ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

They're supposed to unveil an alternate too. I don't get why a franchise that's gone without an alt since '11 is doing two in the same season, but here we are. If the WC alt proves to be more popular, I could see them making it the new one, in a few seasons. I'd be surprised if it's planned, though.

Same here; I think they're going to roll a navy alternate out to wear at home to try and appease that crowd. That's what would make the most sense to me.

24 minutes ago, retro said:

I spotted this logo at Maple Leaf Square last night. It was prominently draped over all the barriers. Is this some new alternate logo? Or something they use at events? I've never seen it before. 

spacer.png

Of all the possible alternate logos they could have come up with...that one is pretty awful. A rare whiff from the Leafs. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

4 hours ago, Chromatic said:

Interesting! I suppose a tweak to the orca logo was to be expected at some point. When it will happen, who knows but now that ive heard it suggested I fully expect it. I assume it will at the very least appease those who are so bothered by the lack of green in the current logo. I just hope they do their research and do something really slick when they get around to it. Im glad they are sticking with the orca though - its a great motif and has meaning in the region, why throw that away.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

Archived