MLS Kits, 2020

WarriorFight

4 minutes ago, BlazerBlaze said:

First look at the new Name and Number font. The names will be a split font too. 

On its own, I kind of like the number font, but the league logo looks really forced into the design. Ruins the whole thing.

Might take a bit to warm up to the nameplate font. I wonder whether it will look too slight from a distance, too insignificant. No strong feelings at this point. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blergh. I'm afraid that legibility for names won't be great. And this is the sort of typeface that'll mesh well with certain designs but not others, not versatile in the way the current typeface has been (or, you know, a simple modernized block font would be).

58 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

On its own, I kind of like the number font, but the league logo looks really forced into the design. Ruins the whole thing.

Might take a bit to warm up to the nameplate font. I wonder whether it will look too slight from a distance, too insignificant. No strong feelings at this point. 

Yeah i don't mind the league logo...but they couldn't have put it at the bottom???

I hate this move. It looks like something a low budget third division side would wear with teamwear. I could maybe live with the number font if the letters were solid but with those also using the split font, it’s a disaster. Also, the league logo looks like it’s just floating there. What happened to putting it at the bottom like every other league? It also does not help that they are switching from such a clean, professional, and very legible font to this. I need to see more examples of this new font, but the initial look is very discouraging.

I dislike the whole idea of a league-wide number and name font.  All numbering and lettering should be decided by the team, in a manner in keeping with its look.  This is another reason (in addition to the football itself) that watching the Champions League is so much fun.  I have always enjoyed seeing the differing aesthetic choices that Chelsea and the other Premier League teams make for their numbers; and I wish I could see that all the time.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

5 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I dislike the whole idea of a league-wide number and name font.  All numbering and lettering should be decided by the team, in a manner in keeping with its look.  This is another reason (in addition to the football itself) that watching the Champions League is so much fun.  I have always enjoyed seeing the differing aesthetic choices that Chelsea and the other Premier League teams make for their numbers; and I wish I could see that all the time.

See I’d like to see teams with their own unique fonts for cups (US Open, CCL, SuperCup, etc) because I think plenty of teams could/would be able to get creative, plus that would be another revenue for the league, they could sell jerseys with the official MLS number, then with the team specific, but I doubt it’ll happen.

42 minutes ago, WBeltz said:

See I’d like to see teams with their own unique fonts for cups (US Open, CCL, SuperCup, etc) because I think plenty of teams could/would be able to get creative, plus that would be another revenue for the league, they could sell jerseys with the official MLS number, then with the team specific, but I doubt it’ll happen.

I wonder to what extent teams have control over things like that though. I see your point and agree it would be dope, see: big European clubs having their own font for cups and then the league font. I don't know, though, to what extent MLS would allow teams that amount of visual control. Unless I'm completely mistaken in my perception of the relationship between clubs and the league as an entity.

spacer.png

6 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I second this.

On 1/8/2020 at 11:23 AM, Corvus said:

Slightly odd that they're including teams in the retro merch who weren't in the league until many years after 96. It doesn't look like the Timbers even existed in any form in 96. Sounders and 86'ers (Whitecaps) were at least, you now, actual professional soccer clubs during that year. 

It just says teams from the 90s, so I'm guessing Portland's one and only season in the American Professional Soccer League in 1990 qualifies them for this list.  

The league logo on the numbers is just plain dumb.  Why are they even there?

Branding.  It’s all branding.  And to keep shops from selling the numbers on jerseys other than MLS. 

I love the idea of a league-wide font, especially when it’s as great as these numbers.  I wish the name was a little simpler, but that’s not a deal-breaker for me. 

I'm don't have a particularly strong opinion one way or another on league wide fonts vs team specific fonts. 

As long as it isn't the font that MLS used 2 fonts ago now (I forget the time line, it's this one) because I could never tell the difference between 1 and 7. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

20 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Where'd you get that?

Once the image was posted of the Cincinnati player announcement, a guy named Cody Dear posted this in a Facebook discussion. You may know him for his work with Yank Threads. Don’t think I can link the Facebook discussion because it’s a closed group. The group is called ATL UTD Gear - News, Trades, Info.

Archived