2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

Tampa is the big surprise for me. I think theirs looks fantastic. It’s actually hard to believe that they never at least had this as an alternate option before, let alone their primary. 

Others I like: Washington, Florida, Nashville, Colorado, Edmonton, Boston

Those I don’t like/Missed opportunities: Minnesota, Islanders, Dallas, Detroit, Toronto

The others all fall in some vague area of whatever-ness for me. I wish I could sit here and tell you I like Anaheim, Phoenix, and some of the others. I think they’re fun and interesting, but I’d be lying if I told you I said ooo that looks good. 

Overall, this was an awesome idea by NHL, adidas, whoever. I love the idea of letting teams be creative, while not spitting on their past. The NBA could afford to take a few notes on this. 

90758391980.gif

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Webfooter said:

Most teams actually got pretty creative with their retro choices but you can tell the lazy ones are those that chose gray jerseys or made such minimal changes that you wouldn't notice the difference.

Detroit could have used yellow:

i0ZufhsoX1KTUf7V3R1PzqVw7GyikEdJ80_xvjZs

It looks like Montreal is using a deeper blue than the standard royal blue. I wish more teams would do that rather than go so dark with navy (looking at you Oilers, Jets, whoever else). I wonder if they’ll get the helmet colour right as usually teams with a royal blue set use a helmet colour that’s a shade brighter than every other piece of equipment.

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

Hawks sweater looks like a bootleg from the seasonal aisle at Jewel-Osco between holidays. Pfft.

Basically my first reaction as well, but since I'm in Minnesota, I thought cheap licensed jersey you can find at Target.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

9 minutes ago, NoE38_Concepts said:

Oh boy.

Yeesh! Now I'm really hoping that the Reverse Retro program doesn't just devolve into colour rush and that other teams will pair proper equipment with their jerseys.

The Wild Wing illustration could've been bigger. Jumping out of green ice looks weird, but all the same I like the green hemstripe. Recoloured Eggplant jersey on the mascot would've been neat, but having it white like the background keeps this jersey (relatively) clean looking and is probably cheaper to print. Name and number font sucks, even if it is another staple of that uniform - but it's too bad they didn't go with an arching nameplate like the original. Despite everything I like the overall look more than I was expecting, and it's always nice to see the Ducks in their original colours. I need to get one.

On 11/14/2020 at 5:36 PM, wildwing64 said:

Interesting that the Stars collar is all white. Maybe we're looking at a minimalised version of that uniform?

Called it, but I'm disappointed. Maybe I'll have to see the full uniform before I can judge it properly, but looking at the jersey by itself they minimised it too much. For a team that made a point of their rebrand and the new third jersey standing out, it's weird that the Stars brought this back only to use hard-to-see elements like the shiny silver logo on a white background - a glaring fault which is evident in the video they posted - and the green and black stripes touching and bleeding into each other. Not to mention the star stripe pattern just looks plain awkward without any colour down there.

Tampa Bay is one of my favourites. The blue, white and black scheme always looked great on them, and especially so on their classic uniform. Something like this full time would really help set them apart from the Leafs.

Speaking of Toronto, theirs is interesting in that they deliberately did not bring back the Ballard Leaf, except for the textless version on the shoulders. It's a nice look, but for some reason it's reminding me of those retro jersey styled hoodies you can get (probably not helped by the model wearing a hoodie underneath). Chicago's also has that feel to it, despite being a blend of both of their 1940 sweaters.

Purple desert Coyotes, Gretzky era Kings in purple and gold, Wild in a North Stars jersey, inverted Canadiens sweater (rouge, blanc et bleu?), green Devils, all look fantastic. Nashville's might well be their best jersey yet. Boston's would probably look better with black cuffs - or even without cuffs - but it's a nice jersey anyhow. The bear on the shoulder still looks like he stuck his finger in a plug socket.

I like Buffalo's, except for the arbitrary use of grey in the numbers. Nice to see Lady Liberty and Blasty return (as I recall the Flames were already looking for an excuse to bring him back, so it's a win-win for them), the minimalist treatment of both is an odd choice but still better executed than Dallas. The Islanders jersey feels like what they should have done for their Reebok Edge set, it's nice but also feels like a missed opportunity. Why not the Fisherman, or even an orange version of their Dynasty uniforms?

Really, aside from Dallas the only one I don't care for is Detroit. I get what they were going for, but it could really use more, y'know... red.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

13 minutes ago, Gobbi said:

Yeesh! Now I'm really hoping that the Reverse Retro program doesn't just devolve into colour rush and that other teams will pair proper equipment with their jerseys.

We do know the Blue Jackets have new navy pants (and maybe new light blue pants for the Avs). 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 minute ago, wildwing64 said:

The Wild Wing illustration could've been bigger.

I like Buffalo's, except for the arbitrary use of grey in the numbers.

• No it couldn't have. It's scaled for the graded pattern sizes.

• There is grey/silver in the logos and on the jersey body - not arbitrary at all.

4 minutes ago, ebod39 said:

• No it couldn't have. It's scaled for the graded pattern sizes.

The Wild Wing logo used on the adidas warmup jerseys in 2018-19 was the bigger, goalie-stick-almost-touches-the-neck version though.

The version on the Reverse Retro seems smaller. 

Anaheim Ducks on Twitter: "Grab one of these sweet Wild Wing breakout  jerseys and support our foundation! Bid now by texting DUCKS to 52182 or  visiting https://t.co/QAfK934WLm. Auction closes tomorrow at noon

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Utter crap.

Detroit should have been a walk off grand slam, but instead, it's a foul tip off the left nut.  I don't understand the decision behind going with silver.  Initially, I was going to have Detroit in its own category of craptastic, but after seeing that Dallas will be going full on white, I'm going to have to add them to the list.  The jersey itself was a bit of a disappointment, but to double down with the white pants and gloves...yikes.

The disappointing.

Calgary: I understand why they wouldn't have gone with another red jersey, but why not a white version of Blasty?  There's nothing particular wrong with what they ended up with, but it doesn't really live up to what the program is trying to do.

New York Rangers: Pretty much the same as Calgary.  Why not a red version or even a white version, but with the red and blue swapped?  It also looks more like a long sleeved shirt than it does a jersey with the striping being so minimalist.  

New York Islanders:  Would anyone even notice that it's actually different from their regular uniforms?  Maybe, they should be their regular home jersey.  Should have been orange if not the Fisherman.

Surprising: 

Arizona: I didn't think I would like the Coyotes original alternate in purple, but it actually looks a whole lot better than the original green.

Florida: I wasn't sure how they were going to pull off a blue version of their original red jersey, but they did a pretty good job of it.  The leaping panther needs to be on an alternate, if not the primaries.  

Everything else is pretty good.  A couple need smalls tweaks like Boston making the cuffs black, instead of white.  Canucks should have put some green in the numbers.  

I guess I have to give Adidas some credit for making the yokes for the Canucks and Ducks the way they should be, or as close as possible, unlike with Reebok just rounding everything off.

26 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

We do know the Blue Jackets have new navy pants (and maybe new light blue pants for the Avs). 

Right, thanks for the reminder. Admittedly, a little panic set in when I saw that Stars monstrosity. 

31 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

The Wild Wing logo used on the adidas warmup jerseys in 2018-19 was the bigger, goalie-stick-almost-touches-the-neck version though.

The version on the Reverse Retro seems smaller. 

Anaheim Ducks on Twitter: "Grab one of these sweet Wild Wing breakout  jerseys and support our foundation! Bid now by texting DUCKS to 52182 or  visiting https://t.co/QAfK934WLm. Auction closes tomorrow at noon

That is a totally different cut of jersey, bigger pattern.  Apples and oranges.

Am I the only one who loves San Jose's? Maybe it's just because I'm so relieved to see them wear something that isn't what they currently wear.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

Okay, gathered my thoughts;

Western Conference

Pacific Division
ANA - Spectacular, love that they're just embracing the corniness of their history.
ARI - B-E-A-Utiful. Just absolutely gorgeous.
CGY - FINALLY...BLASTY HAS COME BACK TO CAL-GA-RY! These are nice, as well. Hope we see the '04 reds make a return now that the template's available to them.
EDM - Meh. Would've preferred a throwback to the navy and copper days just for something a bit more unique.
LAK - Make. These. The. Primary. Look. NOW.
SJS - A welcome change of pace, and fortuitously (or more likely purposefully) timed for the anniversary. Assuming they bring the OG teal back as a third, they'll have every design era covered.
VAN - Pretty slick, and I love that the West Coast Express era is finally getting a little more love; and boy, am I glad they didn't do a basic green jersey with that stupid lumberjack on the front. Now, if only we could get the main set...
VGK - Quite nice, and a good way for them to get around their young nature.

Central Division
CHI - Pretty solid, though nothing jaw-droppingly unusual.
COL - Cela aurait dû être un retour aux Rocheuses ou quelque chose du genre, car cela semble pratiquement sacrilège à voir. Ce look appartient au Québec, pas à Denver!
DAL - They took a grand slam, a bonafide home run...and completely :censored:ed it up. Way to go, Dallas, you somehow made the star jerseys boring. And you're probably going monocolor. How VERY. VERY. WONDERFUL😬
MIN - Verrrry nice, though I do wish they'd gone with the '91 design.
NSH - Better then their current home jersey because there's more than just yellow.
STL - VERY weird, but definitely not a bad look. I'm not against it because they're not named for the color, but for the genre of music.
WPG - Megh. Not terrible, but certainly not super inspiring. An Aviator Blue base would've worked a whole lot nicer.

Eastern Conference
Atlantic Division
BOS - Gorgeous, and I'd love this to be used as an alternate again.
BUF - Good, but I wish we'd gotten the Goathead design. This jersey never really appealed to me.
DET - BAAAAAAAD. It looks like a completely featureless jersey if you're not paying attention. The Howe-era jersey would've been way better.
FLA - Purrfect. This design in red, with a tweaked version of the modernized leaping logo, would be exactly what the Cats need to get back on the right track, identity-wise. Hopefully this lets us see the red version come along afterwards and make way for properly-colored throwbacks for the team anniversary.
MTL - Very solid, and just as conservative as I expected from such a proud and storied organization.
OTT - Eh. Would've preferred a version of the laurel alternate, but this certainly isn't terrible.
TOR - MLEH. Grey arm yokes, anachronistic and mismatched logos and probably the least interesting Leafs jersey design.
TBL - This is pretty damn nice. Hopefully, this is leading into them bringing back the black version for their anniversary season so they can move on from the Maple Wings era of their design.

Metropolitan Division
CBJ - Interesting, but definitely Caps-esque.

CAR - No...just...just no. Can we stop fellating the rotting carcass of the Whalers, for the love of god? Move the hell on already.
NJD - Gorgeous. This should be their permanent third.
NYI - SO. FRIGGIN. BORING. You had the Fisherman at your disposal and you go with something that looks like it was made in a rush because you realized you hadn't submitted a design 5 minutes before the deadline?! Goddamnit, Lou.
NYR - Liberty returns! I want this logo to see more use in the team's branding from now on; maybe we could see it in their current color scheme as an alternate some time down the line?
PHI - Pretty decent, but nothing out of the ordinary.
PIT - They still refuse to use the Robopen. And that makes me sad.
WSH - A welcome change from the Reebok holdovers the Caps currently use. The Screaming Eagle looks sharp as hell in the red, white and blue and I hope it transitions to a more permanent role with the team.

Archived