2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, dannykraft said:

For these rumored outdoor games, I'm thinking they're going to wear the retro reverse. Both of those teams clash with each other and I don't think there is enough time to create new uniforms. 

What rumored outdoor games?

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/30632919/sources-nhl-plans-outdoor-games-lake-tahoe

The NHL is planning to have a set of outdoor games in Lake Tahoe in February.

The Vegas Golden Knights, Colorado Avalanche, Boston Bruins and Philadelphia Flyers will each play games in a two-day event hosted by Edgewood Tahoe Resort, league sources confirmed to ESPN on Friday.

2 hours ago, philly97flyer said:

Reverse retro would work for the Avs-Knights game (white vs red) but I don’t think they could pull off orange vs yellow in the Flyers-Bruins game, especially if both uniforms have black helmets

It's happened before, but that had to be before the league mandated the use of different helmet colors. Closest recent examples were the 2012 Winter Classic and the 2019 Stadium Series.

spacer.png

7 hours ago, TheLAKnight said:

It's happened before, but that had to be before the league mandated the use of different helmet colors. Closest recent examples were the 2012 Winter Classic and the 2019 Stadium Series.

There is a league mandate that helmet colors need to be different?

The example you cited is from 2019, so when did it take effect?

Does it really matter if the helmets are the same colour anymore? I would think the majority of the uniform needs to be different enough (i.e. no Chicago v Ottawa RR) but the helmets aren't that big of a deal, especially since no one identifies the team primarily by the helmet anyways.

2 hours ago, Osgiliath-Guard said:

especially since no one identifies the team primarily by the helmet anyways.

The refs do, and that's the biggest thing. When you have a bunch of guys in a scrum, helmet colours are one of the primary identifiers.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

1 hour ago, nash61 said:

The refs do, and that's the biggest thing. When you have a bunch of guys in a scrum, helmet colours are one of the primary identifiers.

They could go yellow helmets for a game, might be enough to distinguish them apart? 

untitled-6.jpg

22 hours ago, philly97flyer said:

Reverse retro would work for the Avs-Knights game (white vs red) but I don’t think they could pull off orange vs yellow in the Flyers-Bruins game, especially if both uniforms have black helmets

Have the black helmets been confirmed by the Penguins, or are we going by what EA has shown? Cause EA regularly messed things up, they can't be considered reliable for those kinda things. Either way, Pittsburgh could just wear their white helmets for that one game, I see this as a non-issue

2 hours ago, youcan'tseeme said:

They could go yellow helmets for a game, might be enough to distinguish them apart? 

Or you know, white

2 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Have the black helmets been confirmed by the Penguins, or are we going by what EA has shown? Cause EA regularly messed things up, they can't be considered reliable for those kinda things. Either way, Pittsburgh could just wear their white helmets for that one game, I see this as a non-issue

Or you know, white

Why are you talking about the penguins when they aren’t the topic of the post?

22 hours ago, ebod39 said:

There is a league mandate that helmet colors need to be different?

The example you cited is from 2019, so when did it take effect?

Probably should have worded it different. I'm not sure exactly if it was mandated, but I know I saw it talked about that the league did everything to avoid teams doing that. It might just be relating to the fact that, unless it's league approved, one team has be in white.

I'm guessing they let it slide in 2019 because it was a marque event and the giant logos helped to differentiate the two teams.

1 hour ago, youcan'tseeme said:

Which as we've seen before (with Pooh Bear) would look awful with black pants and full yellow sweater/sock combo. 

Yep...

spacer.png spacer.png

Since I missed the Avalanche talk due to the holidays and getting my laptop re-setup, I'll say that I think the blue gear looks great with the home but awful with the away. Something about the colour balance on the road, I guess because the white jersey had and still has basically no blue at all, just does not work for me.

Archived