2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, GFB said:

Who says no? 

spacer.png

Make the oval silver and add a black drop shadow to the bolt. 

The singularly white logo just doesn't work with black pants. Needs silver and black. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

9 hours ago, seasaltvanilla said:

All of it. It's a terrible logo.

I don't think it's terrible. I understand that it doesn't fit the criteria of perfect modern sports logo design rules and aesthetics, but it looks strong on the front of a jersey and holds way more presence than the current one does. That counts for something.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

9 hours ago, Ark said:

I dislike the modernized Sens 2D logo.

Something is off about it. It just doesn't work like the old one does.

Thankyou. This opinion is so rare around here.

8 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Considering those tiny-sized logos on an internet sports page or newspaper black-and-white images are just as important to a team's branding nowadays as the jersey itself, that's...not...really a problem?

These logos need to work well on scoreboards and TV displays and phone screens and so many other applications, and a logo with extremely thin lines just doesn't work as well shrunken down to small proportions. This isn't the 1970's, where the most prominent uses of a team logo was on programs or on the jersey. There's a lot more factors to consider in sports branding now then there was then.

It does matter yes, but is it really a problem? I've seen the old/new 2d centurion logo online in small sizes and it's no worse than a number of other teams' logos are. At that size of 10px or whatever, all logos are a bit messed up. Seen the Blackhawks logo? It's a scribble of colours. I don't really care, because I know what the logo looks like.

7 hours ago, ebod39 said:

Yes, it is. That is graphic design 101. 

So I take it that everyone who says the 2D centurion logo doesn't work at small sizes also is also against the Panthers going back to their original logo? I don't think a good logo NEEDS to work at tiny sizes. It SHOULD, but a logo can still be great and not look perfect at a small scale. The current Ottawa 2D logo works fine at a small scale. It's really not a problem. 

3 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

I know the true solution to the Ottawa logo problem.

spacer.png

Reject Roman, Return to Silver Seven. 😉

spacer.png

Considering the team's still bad, turning into an easy punchline with a logo very easily construed as a 0 would be...suboptimal. 😛 Doubt fans want to become mocked even more as they get turned into the Ottawa Zeroes.

To me Tampa's look pretty good, but something's not quite right.  For one, I wish they either had grey on the jersey or not on the socks.  Second, and this may be a minority opinion, but white shoulder yokes on a colored jersey just never look good.

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

Make the oval silver and add a black drop shadow to the bolt. 

The singularly white logo just doesn't work with black pants. Needs silver and black. 

Why can’t a white logo work with black pants? There’s literally a white logo *on* the black pants.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

12 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

Why can’t a white logo work with black pants? There’s literally a white logo *on* the black pants.

But it’s not just a white logo on black...it’s also silver and blue. 

The plain white logo is such a downgrade for the Lightning...

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The problem with the current Lightning logo isn't actually the bolt itself, it's the weird oval thing and the simplicity of it.

The current bolt is the best rendering they've had in their history.

agW9sfX.png

The drop-shadow one is too dated, and the updated one is top heavy and unbalanced. The current bolt is clean and well-proportioned. If they took the current bolt, made it white, and put it on a grey circle with a blue outline, they would have a perfect update of the inaugural look.

4y75NSd.png

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

The new bolt is actually very well balanced and the oval shape works well in harmony with it. I like the design in general, I just don't think it has anywhere near the same character as the original.

The thick drop shadow on the bolt should be seen as more of a stylistic choice as opposed to a dated design style. I think that choice is perfectly valid today. Everything doesn't need to be sharp and pointy (heck it still is, it's just thicc as well)

Someone here punched up the unused Florida bolt logo and I think that's the way to go. The bolt goes through Tampa, you get a Pittsburgh Penguins/Buffalo Sabres thing going. Their current logo has always been way, way, way too plain. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived