2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

I think you can excuse the black gear because black is sort of the neutral color for hockey equipment. Skates are black, and pretty much everyone grows up wearing black pants in their learn-to-play classes, mite, squirts, etc. You play for a red jersey team? Black pants and helmets even if there's no black in your jersey. It's only once you get older and get on teams where the uniforms are a bit more expensive that maybe your team uses breezers that are a different color than black, usually color shells pulled over black pants.

That's a lot to say that we're all kind of used to black gear being used with jerseys and socks that it doesn't match. Black, as a color of its own is more ignorable too. Blue pants, though, are a much different statement. You have to go out of your way to choose to wear blue pants. And that blue color sticks out a lot more than black. They're okay with the burgundy jerseys (though, they have problems of their own and I think they should wear burgundy helmets instead of blue), but with the white jerseys they are really out of place. 

One quick change that would tie things together better would be incorporate the other colors into the pants so they feel more cohesive. A gray-burgundy-gray pants stripe down the side would do the trick. If they want to get fancy, maybe a mountain shape at the bottom of the shorts like the 90's Utah Jazz? 

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At first, I thought they wanted to fully phase out the black from the entirety of their uniforms. But they kept the black numbers. They still use lots of black, so what was the point?

Unpopular Opinion Alert: black pants are so much better. These light steel blue colored pants paired with the darker maroon main color of the jerseys, it's a godawful color combo. There's a reason why the Avs wore black pants for 25 years. It looks pretty good and there's black in the puck in their crest. Black is an official tertiary color of the Avs.

2 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

At first, I thought they wanted to fully phase out the black from the entirety of their uniforms. But they kept the black numbers. They still use lots of black, so what was the point?

Unpopular Opinion Alert: blank pants are so much better. These light steel blue colored pants paired with the darker maroon main color of the jerseys, it's a godawful color combo. There's a reason why the Avs wore black pants for 25 years. It looks pretty good and there's black in the puck in their crest. Black is an official tertiary color of the Avs.

The black pants did look better with the original set that had a bit more black in the striping than on the simplified adidas uniforms, but agreed. There was nothing wrong with the black gear

Archived