2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always felt the BOLTS alternate (sans piping) would make a good jersey base. The WHL's Victoria Royals used it and with the right bolt, it would be a solid look.

Western-Hockey-League-Victoria-Royals-Ic

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

On 2/6/2021 at 11:06 AM, habsfan1 said:

I disaagree. Every 3D Centurion and the =O= are all better in 2021.

The Sens failed to do what the Sabres and Padres did with their "outdated" logos. That's why Sens got criticized and the other 2 got praised.

I wouldn't have minded a few minor updates to the centurion, but there has been absolutely no criticism from anyone outside of this board. Most of the fanbase didn't care for the updated 2D, and everyone has been happy about the rebrand. Pleasing the fans was the team's goal, not appeasing design nerds.

On 2/6/2021 at 1:38 PM, Ridleylash said:

Too bad the numbers are practically illegible during play from the TV side of things...

When the players were standing still it wasn't bad, but once they got moving it was definitely tough to read the numbers. Still, these are the 2nd best red jerseys the team has worn. They've got some Chicago Bulls vibes going on.

On 2/6/2021 at 9:14 PM, Ridleylash said:

Considering the team's still bad, turning into an easy punchline with a logo very easily construed as a 0 would be...suboptimal. 😛 Doubt fans want to become mocked even more as they get turned into the Ottawa Zeroes.

That joke is about as lame & overused as the Habs toilet seat logo gag 🙄. The O & stripes honour the league's first dynasty, and the rich history of hockey in the city. That trumps any insults that a third grader could come up with.

13 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

I wouldn't have minded a few minor updates to the centurion, but there has been absolutely no criticism from anyone outside of this board. Most of the fanbase didn't care for the updated 2D, and everyone has been happy about the rebrand. Pleasing the fans was the team's goal, not appeasing design nerds.

I won't lie. The design nerds point, there might be some truth to it. However, Chris from Icethetics made the same criticisms we did here and he's not a member of the boards. 😛 I don't think he is.

There could be a similar reason why the OKC Thunder placeholder logo lasted over a decade and counting. The fans in Oklahoma City might have simply gotten used to having a horrendous logo that they don't mind keeping it around anymore, simply out of habit. Maybe they've settled for less. The Sens 90s logo is far superior to the Thunder logo. Sens fans maybe don't see the flaws. They like the shape of it, they prefer it to the semi-roundel, having a totally 90s logo doesn't bother them. In both cases, their logo standards are different from us logo fanatics, as you pointed out.

4 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

When the players were standing still it wasn't bad, but once they got moving it was definitely tough to read the numbers. Still, these are the 2nd best red jerseys the team has worn. They've got some Chicago Bulls vibes going on.

So the whole game you couldn’t read them

On 2/7/2021 at 7:50 AM, Bayne said:

The thick drop shadow on the bolt should be seen as more of a stylistic choice as opposed to a dated design style. I think that choice is perfectly valid today. Everything doesn't need to be sharp and pointy (heck it still is, it's just thicc as well)

spacer.png

Not sure I love it but I do like how this adds all three colors into the bolts logo:

YDHwOjh.png      yK3OrIU.png

Then you can add some black and silver back to the sweaters...  It looks ok on the current sweater but would look so much better with added colors.

puo0Srs.png

TaOcG58.png

2 minutes ago, GFB said:

spacer.png

Would still look better with a black shadow. If theyre going to have black outlines on the numbers, they might as well include it on the logo instead of trying too hard to be clever. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

49 minutes ago, dont care said:

So the whole game you couldn’t read them

Well I could identify the players when they lined up for faceoffs or were set up in one of the zones on a PP/PK.

It's funny that the inaugural black jerseys with red numbers that these were based off of had the same problem. People complained enough that they switched to the white numbers.

1 hour ago, CreamSoda said:

TaOcG58.png

The light amount of black drop shadow works tremendously well on the white bolt. The silver circle not sure about that. But the drop shadow makes the logo stand out more amongst the stripes and numbers.

A few subtle black details and black pants would end the Leafs comparisons.

Idk if it would work as good in blue on the road jersey. But this concept shows what works quite well.

17 minutes ago, Kramerica Industries said:

I've seen about two minutes of the Preds in their RR sweaters and, while far from perfect, these are much better than what they currently wear.

I actually disagree, I liked the Preds RR when they revealed it on the model, but seeing it on ice, it's just as ugly as the original jerseys.  The gray/silver does not play well of that bright yellow especially in Bridgestone Arena, and I really don't like the hem striping.  

1 hour ago, infernoqueso said:

I actually disagree, I liked the Preds RR when they revealed it on the model, but seeing it on ice, it's just as ugly as the original jerseys.  The gray/silver does not play well of that bright yellow especially in Bridgestone Arena, and I really don't like the hem striping.  

The Preds' original sweaters were glorious, disastrous works of art.  

28 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

I hope so

spacer.pngspacer.png

Maybe it's just me, but it looks like the grey is a shade too dark. It may also be the adidas material messing with me. Lighting in this photo could be playing a role as well.

Wouldn't mind seeing this become the next home uniform for NSH, and the navy helmets HAVE to stay no matter what. 

The grey just looks like a dirty white.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Archived