College Football 2020

Kevin W.

1 minute ago, SFGiants58 said:

spacer.png

This isn’t “did you just assume it’s gender?” or “all males are evil.” This is a pair of organizations changing up a name due to a particularly heated time in race relations at the moment. It’s not tumblr folks here.

No, this is the same thing as changing the Aunt Jemima logo. Or tearing down an Abraham Lincoln statue because it was somehow "racist". Who in the hell was offended or cared about this?

• Like 3

Zzi6tDc.png

On 6/26/2020 at 9:39 PM, Bobster said:

"a war between opposing groups of citizens of the same country"

It doesn't necessarily mean the American Civil War.

But I'm sure an institute of higher learning knows that already....

Ooo!  I’ve got one too!

noun
  1. destruction or slaughter on a mass scale, especially caused by fire or nuclear war.

And yet, despite those dry words, when you capitalize it everybody knows you’re taking about one specific Holocaust.

The Civil War they're referencing was literally a fight against white supremacy.  Not exactly the kind of thing we should be making light of by associating with a college football game. 

• Like 11

5 minutes ago, osctheg said:

No, this is the same thing as changing the Aunt Jemima logo. Or tearing down an Abraham Lincoln statue because it was somehow "racist". Who in the hell was offended or cared about this?

The Lincoln thing is an exception (idiots just wanting to trash stuff).

Maybe if you’ve been paying attention to the news, this country is in the middle of a particularly sensitive time in regards to race and race relations. Recognizing how things can be an issue is a part of anti-racist activity. It’s a very small part (hence missionaccomplished.jpg), but it is a step forward to get people to question these things. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SFGiants58 said:

The Lincoln thing is an exception (idiots just wanting to trash stuff).

Maybe if you’ve been paying attention to the news, this country is in the middle of a particularly sensitive time in regards to race and race relations. Recognizing how things can be an issue is a part of anti-racist activity. It’s a very small part (hence missionaccomplished.jpg), but it is a step forward to get people to question these things. 

If there was an actual issue here, I would agree. It's a college rivalry game. Who gives a :censored: if it's named the Civil War? I guess Captain America is canceled next.

• Like 2

Zzi6tDc.png

2 minutes ago, osctheg said:

If there was an actual issue here, I would agree. It's a college rivalry game. Who gives a :censored: if it's named the Civil War? I guess Captain America is canceled next.

Like I said, it’s two universities covering their asses. While the racial relations context is understandable, it could also be because the D1 universities really don’t want you to think about how their athletes (in the “money” sports, anyway) are basically indentured servants who are ineligible to make money for their talents (I.e., move to the pros) during peak years.  

Also, “cancelled?” That’s stuff used to bully people who made racist or transphobic comments a decade ago and didn’t think to delete them.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, IceCap said:

So why do you?

Do I? I was just pointing out how pointless it is. Being a WSU fan, I don't actually care if they change the name. I just hope the apples out there don't force the Apple cup to be changed.

• Like 1

Zzi6tDc.png

1 hour ago, osctheg said:

Way to be bigoted against Apple employees.

And this is why we can't have nice things. Reducing people who disagree with you by comparing them to inanimate objects or animals does nothing to further discussion. We're done. Have fun y'all.

• Like 4

• IceCap locked this topic

Both schools and ua are in a bad financial place and covid wreaking havoc on the upcoming sports seasons really is the perfect storm for a lot of these overly-ambitious deals to collapse. I also think that with ucla/cal there's a large pacific rim footprint where ua may have thought they could convert those deals into international sales but again the global economy is a mess.

11 minutes ago, radchad said:

Dear lord

I've seen service agreements start without contracts being signed because the review and final revisions can take up to a year but this is just bad lawyering from both sides to be 4 years into a deal and not have a signed contract. The more this plays out in the press the more desperate ua looks in this deal and if you're a big program that is looking for an apparel supplier why on earth would you even consider ua at this point?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, VDizzle12 said:

I'm assuming Notre Dame will be the next UA casualty? Hopefully all 3 teams go with Nike and not Adidas. 

I’d almost guarantee that Notre Dame is profitable for them. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, walkerws said:

I’d almost guarantee that Notre Dame is profitable for them. 

You're probably right. Looked into it more and found that they have a 10-year deal for $90 million. Only paying $4 million more than they did Cal. Not a bad deal when put into perspective. 

1 hour ago, VDizzle12 said:

I'm assuming Notre Dame will be the next UA casualty? Hopefully all 3 teams go with Nike and not Adidas. 

Notre Dame football at the very least has been a much more competitive team in the last 5 years than Cal and UCLA. 

I could also be reaching on this, but is it fair to say Notre Dame is a much bigger national brand than both Cal and UCLA? 

• Like 4

AmPJ0Ty.png