College Football 2020

Kevin W.

Just now, sportsfan7 said:

Not to be rude, but do you live under a rock? We've been having this conversation for a while now.

But lately it's been less of a conversation than a shouting contest.

• Like 2

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

7 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

USF chrome helmet in new pic!

USF has been wearing a chrome helmet for six years now, but it looks like this one actually has a black outline around logo rather than the typical white. They have switched the decals around in the past. Might be a black facemask, too. Hard to tell in that lighting, though.

I miss the greenish-gold helmets, if I’m being honest. I used to hate them and I always wondered why they didn’t color match the rest of the uniform. Then they went away until they reappeared in the Wisconsin game last year, which made me wish they still existed. Not the best look from an aesthetic standpoint, but it was uniquely USF.

4 hours ago, Krz said:

This is the equivalent of the kids who comment “we did it guys we solved racism” when ESPN posts something about civil rights. It’s not funny.

Social media's success is largely due to; 1. People wanting attention 2. People having an ego. Big business takes advantage of those desires by granting the illusion of power. People are addicted to the hyper-reality social media creates and are tribal.

Critique is now entrepreneurial. Spirit is secondary to winning. The troubling part? The mainstreaming of mob justice and mob rule. Being conditioned to think that patience and nuance are part of an evil system. Being encouraged to be more reactionary. Dismissive of the negative effects their actions have. Self appointed soldiers in a culture war. De-humanizing their fellow man and encouraging others to do the same. Why? Because they've granted themselves the authority.

In the age of commercial critique the most jaded wins. No act of contrition is ever truly enough. "Yeah, they did X, but did they do it for the right reasons?" "They did X, but they didn't do X enough" "They should have done X 10 years ago". As long as those type of people drive the cultural discourse, the industry of grievance will thrive and wounds will never heal, and sadly, that's their goal.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, AndrewMLind said:

USF has been wearing a chrome helmet for six years now, but it looks like this one actually has a black outline around logo rather than the typical white. They have switched the decals around in the past. Might be a black facemask, too. Hard to tell in that lighting, though.

I miss the greenish-gold helmets, if I’m being honest. I used to hate them and I always wondered why they didn’t color match the rest of the uniform. Then they went away until they reappeared in the Wisconsin game last year, which made me wish they still existed. Not the best look from an aesthetic standpoint, but it was uniquely USF.

They wore the greenish helmet last year, that was my point.

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

5 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Look, we all know that nothing can get better until January. 

But until then, we can all agree on one thing: this is so much better than the motion-sickness W. 😉

It’s only on the university crest apparently. I didn’t even realize that was on their sports uniforms. 

11 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

It’s only on the university crest apparently. I didn’t even realize that was on their sports uniforms. 

It hasn't been in the past.  https://brand.wisc.edu/print/logos/

This is the "institutional logo", used in different versions by the University as a whole. 

uw-logo-color-centered.pnguw-crest-web-300x400-225x300.png

uw-foundation-color-flush-300x94.pngCALS-Horizontal-Logo-500x147.png

It is separate from the sports branding, which uses Bucky Badger and the motion-sickness W.

motion-W.gifBucky-Badger-233x300.jpg

Those are only ever used by athletics, not the university itself. 

I'm not aware that UW has ever "crossed the streams" like this before, using the institutional logo in a sports context.  Wonder if this means the school will be using the black-W version in other applications; otherwise, why not just reverse the black and red on the helmet logo?

WBlackCrest_1920x1080_71.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

They wore the greenish helmet last year, that was my point.

That's my bad. I did not realize they wore that helmet in most of their games last fall. They had three nationally televised games last fall and only wore it once during those games (black vs Temple, white vs UCF). The chrome helmet didn't make an appearance, which is odd considering it was worn during their uniform unveiling last summer.

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

I'm not aware that UW has ever "crossed the streams" like this before, using the institutional logo in a sports context.  Wonder if this means the school will be using the black-W version in other applications; otherwise, why not just reverse the black and red on the helmet logo?

I think it would be more likely they give Bucky a black W instead of his white one

On 7/12/2020 at 6:23 PM, Yee Yee Go 'Stros! said:

Why not just wear the 70s throwbacks with the old Double Ŧ.  It’s easier to draw than the new one and we can still keep the new athletic font.  

I'm the opposite of you. I'm more of a fan of the current Double T logo and I'm not the biggest fan of the font.

On 7/12/2020 at 8:11 PM, MCM0313 said:

They look pretty good, but I’m not terribly happy that they chose to introduce everything as mono. 

They introduced them all in mono (well actually there's one picture that's w/r/r, so not entirely an all in mono) but you can see in their photoshoot video that they have non-mono combinations.

They've been using some of these non-mono pictures in different social media graphic since.

(I'm just glad it looks like the grey is gone, at least for the time being)

• Like 2

IbjBaeE.png

6 hours ago, cajunaggie08 said:

It appears Louisville will have the same black uniform this year but now with a black Cardinal decal for the helmet

Why even bother having a logo on the helmet? 

• Like 9

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

5 hours ago, Gothamite said:

It is separate from the sports branding, which uses Bucky Badger and the motion-sickness W.

motion-W.gifBucky-Badger-233x300.jpg

I don't bother with this response often, but some of us actually like this logo and consider it worlds better than its predecessors. 

• Like 4

It's where I sit.

Fair enough.

I’m sure there are people who like the old Sabres logo and don’t prefer the term “Buffaslug”.  But there we are.  I see people refer disparagingly to the Brewers’ glove logo  (which I have fond memories of, even if it’s not my favorite) as the “paw”.

I really don’t mean anything personal by it.  It’s just a catchy nickname.

Ah, the Badgers’ website has this extra tidbit:

Earlier this summer a number of current and former Badger student-athletes publicly stated their desire to wear the university's "Crest W" on their athletic uniforms. The "W" in the crest is white, but will be changed to black on Badger athletics uniforms. UW Athletics officials worked with student-athletes to also include a black Motion W that will also have a presence on select athletic apparel.

Interesting.  But I’m not surprised they’re also playing around with the, um, the athletics “W”.  😛

• Like 2