Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

On 1/16/2020 at 8:43 PM, Gothamite said:

I admit that my definition is more restrictive, and others would expand it to cover those teams.

My initial intent was to group the teams that adopted very similar striping patterns after the Packers adopted it.  Within a decade the look had become commonplace, and became iconic in the NFL. 

spacer.png

Even the Lions, who didn’t have white anywhere else  on their uniforms, wore the traditional Braisher stripes. 

And there you have it: maybe we could qualify “traditional” Braisher stripes as opposed to “modified”.  The traditional is color/white/color, but modified could incorporate any dark/light/dark of proportional thickness.  That would encompass both participants in Super Bowl IV:

spacer.png

Yea but i think the chiefs stripe is too thin, I think the stripes need to each be an inch wide to count, not the boarder line piping the chiefs uses.

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Packers’ original version of those pant stripes were equally thin. 

spacer.png

I am reluctant to say that those aren’t Braisher Stripes because the pattern is clearly there.  They were clearly intended to tie in with the helmet and sock stripes.

For a time, the 49ers used a comically-thick version of the Braisher stripes.

spacer.png

Didn't change the essential pattern, didn’t affect their Braisher-ness.

I think the proportional nature of the three stripes is what carries the day for me; Braisher stripes can be thick or thin, so long as the proportions between stripes are consistent. 

I thought linking to Reddit 'leaks' or even discussing anything where the only source was Reddit was banned.  If not... can it be?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

spacer.png

For a time, I liked those stripes.  Today?  YIKES.

I’m still upset that the Dolphins lost that Super Bowl, but the uniform match-up in that game was fantastic.

On 1/16/2020 at 8:43 PM, Gothamite said:

I admit that my definition is more restrictive, and others would expand it to cover those teams.

My initial intent was to group the teams that adopted very similar striping patterns after the Packers adopted it.  Within a decade the look had become commonplace, and became iconic in the NFL. 

spacer.png

Even the Lions, who didn’t have white anywhere else  on their uniforms, wore the traditional Braisher stripes. 

And there you have it: maybe we could qualify “traditional” Braisher stripes as opposed to “modified”.  The traditional is color/white/color, but modified could incorporate any dark/light/dark of proportional thickness.  That would encompass both participants in Super Bowl IV:

spacer.png

Never knew the Chiefs had a helmet stripe or at least partials that are faded. 

looks like they had them on there and changed their minds.

#DTWD #GoJaguars

3 minutes ago, Claystation360 said:

Never knew the Chiefs had a helmet stripe or at least partials that are faded. 

looks like they had them on there and changed their minds.

That’s just the helmet’s ridge, and paint being chipped off it. Look at the dude in the bottom left damn near his hole helmet it scuffed all to hell, and you can see the white shell underneath 

That molded center ridge was just a part of every helmet.  Specifically pre-80's. In fact, it was such a given the the Seahawks designed their wrap around logo with the one inch gap to account for it.  It wasn't until the last Nike redesign that they realized they no long needed it.

15 hours ago, Gothamite said:

The Packers’ original version of those pant stripes were equally thin. 

spacer.png

I am reluctant to say that those aren’t Braisher Stripes because the pattern is clearly there.  They were clearly intended to tie in with the helmet and sock stripes.

spacer.png

Didn't change the essential pattern, didn’t affect their Braisher-ness.

I think the proportional nature of the three stripes is what carries the day for me; Braisher stripes can be thick or thin, so long as the proportions between stripes are consistent. 

So is the Braisher stripe named as such because it was the 1st time that stripe style was applied to a helmet and pant at the same time? The reason I ask is that skimming through the GUD the bears were wearing white pants with blue/orange/blue stripe back in the 40's which is well before the packers in '59.

1 hour ago, guest23 said:

So is the Braisher stripe named as such because it was the 1st time that stripe style was applied to a helmet and pant at the same time? The reason I ask is that skimming through the GUD the bears were wearing white pants with blue/orange/blue stripe back in the 40's which is well before the packers in '59.

This strengthens the argument that the stripe pattern needs to be Color-White-Color on a color background lighter than the color stripes to be truly considered a Brashier stripe. Plenty of teams went with some one or more of dark-laight-dark, light-dark-light, or color-background-color before the Packers. But nobody used that specific pattern/color combo until the Packers wore it; his true innovation was that center white stripe as ornamentation

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

Absolutely. 

Braisher’s innovation was the central white stripe. Color/white/color stripes applied principally to the helmets, and then mirrored on the pants, The look was soon copied by six other teams, with others later to follow, and It came to define the look of the NFL. 

Yet you’re the only person that uses that term - can you show examples of it being anything other than your creation that you inject into every stripe discussion?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Yet you’re the only person that uses that term - can you show examples of it being anything other than your creation that you inject into every stripe discussion?

. . . with Chicago Manual of Style footnotes, please.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I agree, when it’s just one person calling it braisher stripes that doesn’t mean that’s what they are called. They aren’t the same as UCLA, or North Western stripes which have a universal understanding of what you are talking about. To me and most people that’s just a triple stripe with no knowledge of this braisher person. I’m not gonna lie until you gave the explanation for who braisher was I thought it was just another name for pants.

3 minutes ago, dont care said:

I agree, when it’s just one person calling it braisher stripes that doesn’t mean that’s what they are called. They aren’t the same as UCLA, or North Western stripes which have a universal understanding of what you are talking about. To me and most people that’s just a triple stripe with no knowledge of this braisher person. I’m not gonna lie until you gave the explanation for who braisher was I thought it was just another name for pants.

That's an interesting point.  Sort of like when people call hockey pants "breezers" . . . which is a term I'd never heard until recently.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I mean, I’ve definitely seen other people on this site use that term, pretty much ever since I joined.

Whether or not the term annoys you, it’s pretty hard to argue that it isn’t an efficient  term, certainly easier than saying color-white-color or even triple stripe, which can easily be associated with three separate stripes a la Adidas or the 49ers.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

11 minutes ago, bushy said:

Haven’t kept up with any jersey news in a while. Just curious, the Rams getting new uniforms without gold next year?

It hasn't been confirmed, but it's speculated to be blue and gold.

Archived