Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

1 hour ago, Eszcz21 said:

Hahahahaha. Buffalo supports their teams and always shows out in full force.

I'd be surprised if Buffalo has a team in 10 years, it's an extremely small market that doesn't have the financial wherewithal to build a new stadium.

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Newport said:

I don’t think the NFL wants three city teams in California. I get the feeling for some reason they want it to be like NY. Two teams in the largest cities, one team elsewhere. LA and San Fran, NY and Buffalo.

I don’t think that is addressing my point at all. 

The NFL wanted two teams in LA so Kroenke wouldn’t be able to reap the benefits of a major market all to himself.  They forced on him a tenant he neither wants nor needs.  And which LA itself neither wants nor needs. 

Isn't another reason they want 2 teams in LA because the TV contracts are currently sold as AFC and NFC, so having only one LA team could potentially make one package more valuable than the other?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, colortv said:

I'd be surprised if Buffalo has a team in 10 years, it's an extremely small market that doesn't have the financial wherewithal to build a new stadium.

The Bills are owned by a man with a net worth of $5 billion dollars, just slightly less than Arthur Blank of the Falcons. I don't imagine that there'll be much issue with funding a new stadium in a market that's proven itself more than capable of consistently supporting an NFL franchise. The team's solidly middle of the pack in attendance, so there's not even a low attendance justification. They're in a TV market larger then the Packers, too, so TV market doesn't play into it. What exactly is the problem with Buffalo?

Meanwhile, the Chargers are dead last in the NFL in attendance and in a market that is seemingly 1000% apathetic towards them, but has embraced their roommates with open arms. People barely show up to their games, and those that do are usually transplant fans of teams other than the Chargers. Dean Spanos is worth a billion flat, less than Terry Pegula and FAAAAAAR less than Stan Kroenke.

There's ABSOLUTELY NO CHANCE that the Bills move before the Chargers yeet themselves back to San Diego with their tails between their legs. Just because a market is small doesn't make it bad.

Given how the owners seem to have become concerned over the Chargers' rather poor reception in LA? I wouldn't be surprised if they do shunt the team back to San Diego once Dean either sells or croaks. At least they can capture a different TV market there.

14 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

The Bills are owned by a man with a net worth of $5 billion dollars, just slightly less than Arthur Blank of the Falcons. I don't imagine that there'll be much issue with funding a new stadium in a market that's proven itself more than capable of consistently supporting an NFL franchise.

1.  Billionaires don't like to spend their own money on stadiums.

2.  You don't build a $1B stadium just for the fans.  You build it for the suites and premium options.  Do you know for sure that the Buffalo area has businesses that will buy suites?  Do those 60k regular-ass fans have money for PSLs?  Fan support has little to do with whether it's practical to build a stadium. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

18 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

1.  Billionaires don't like to spend their own money on stadiums.

Stan Kroenke did 🤷‍♂️

It's probably cheaper to build in Buffalo then it is in LA anyway.

19 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

2.  You don't build a $1B stadium just for the fans.  You build it for the suites and premium options.  Do you know for sure that the Buffalo area has businesses that will buy suites?  Do those 60k regular-ass fans have money for PSLs?  Fan support has little to do with whether it's practical to build a stadium. 

The Sabres seem to do pretty well for themselves in terms of corporate support. And as much as I love the NHL hockey? The NFL is by far a more appealing package.

15 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I don't know man, the Bills seem to be doing just fine. Pegula is pretty committed to Buffalo (and has another business venture there, the Sabres) and has the finances to make it work, at least for a good while longer. Regarding local business, how many are partnering with the Chargers? Not only are the Chargers weakened by the Rams being in LA and also much more popular, but the Rams also had a year-long head start in regards to getting local business partners for PSLs and branding deals. It's also a known fact that the Chargers are having trouble selling PSLs. Buffalo's economy seems to be on the upswing thanks to Cuomo and the team has a 50+ year history of being in Buffalo. I can't say for sure as an outsider, but from the information I have I wouldn't be surprised if the Bills are actually doing better financially than the Chargers.

the user formerly known as cdclt

8 minutes ago, QCS said:

I don't know man, the Bills seem to be doing just fine. Pegula is pretty committed to Buffalo (and has another business venture there, the Sabres) and has the finances to make it work, at least for a good while longer. Regarding local business, how many are partnering with the Chargers? Not only are the Chargers weakened by the Rams being in LA and also much more popular, but the Rams also had a year-long head start in regards to getting local business partners for PSLs and branding deals. It's also a known fact that the Chargers are having trouble selling PSLs. Buffalo's economy seems to be on the upswing thanks to Cuomo and the team has a 50+ year history of being in Buffalo. I can't say for sure as an outsider, but from the information I have I wouldn't be surprised if the Bills are actually doing better financially than the Chargers.

The Bills are also doing a lot better in terms of attendance then the Chargers. Buffalo is 16th, the Chargers are 32nd.

In terms of attendance the Bills have been 17th, 17th, 21st and 16th since the Chargers moved. The Chargers have been 32nd, 32nd, 32nd and 32nd since moving to LA. Methinks the Bills aren't the issue.

14 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

The Bills are also doing a lot better in terms of attendance then the Chargers. Buffalo is 16th, the Chargers are 32nd.

The Bill's figure is impressive considering market size, but we need to hold out on the Chargers attendance figures, because it was basically impossible for them to get anything but dead last before the upcoming season. My prediction is that the Bills will still out draw them, but I doubt they'll be dead last. And if they are dead last in SoFi, move them ASAP

5 hours ago, IceCap said:

I do not get the appeal of St. Louis as a NFL market. They've lost two teams now. Come on. 

And before anyone brings up the Battlehawks? They got a lot support by playing up the "screw Kroenke" angle in a rebel league. That's good for the short term but there's nothing to suggest that level of anger could be transferred into long-term support for a team. 

St. Louis is clearly a Cards 1st, Blues 2nd city. An NFL team (or NBA team, but the NBA is never coming to STL) would always be behind those two teams. Always. An NFL team could succeed there, as long as it has sustained success. After the Greatest Show on Turf years ended, Rams attendance fell off in STL — because it was always the third team behind the Cards and the Blues.

spacer.png

2 hours ago, IceCap said:

Stan Kroenke did 🤷‍♂️

It's probably cheaper to build in Buffalo then it is in LA anyway.

Don't like to.  Kroenke did - most don't

2 hours ago, IceCap said:

The Sabres seem to do pretty well for themselves in terms of corporate support. And as much as I love the NHL hockey? The NFL is by far a more appealing package.

Fair enough- but that implies that a new billion-dollar world for the Bills could possibly result in the demise of the Sabres.  That's certainly a possibility, albeit one I hadn't considered.

The Bills will be fine, the league probably doesn't want to find itself on bad terms with Albany, which is what would certainly happen if New York's football team left. They'll get their stadium loan in addition to Pegula's fracking fortune and go on being the AFC Saints: a regional team for a region that itself still isn't that big, but big enough. Sabres will be fine, too, they're one of the only American teams that reliably pops good local TV ratings every year.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Just do it already. We don’t need some big flashy reveal at this point. The way the world is right now doesn’t allow for that type of thing anyway. Just put out a video and call it a day.

12 hours ago, RedSox44 said:

St. Louis is clearly a Cards 1st, Blues 2nd city. An NFL team (or NBA team, but the NBA is never coming to STL) would always be behind those two teams. Always. An NFL team could succeed there, as long as it has sustained success. After the Greatest Show on Turf years ended, Rams attendance fell off in STL — because it was always the third team behind the Cards and the Blues.

Even before the blues won the cup they were 2nd? Asking out of general curiosity because even in big hockey towns, hockey is usually at the bottom of the barrel.

9 hours ago, colortv said:

Rams update:

They’re still trying to “figure out” how to release them? All the other teams figured it out pretty quick. The Browns had a photoshoot in a garage, for Pete’s sake. This isn’t hard.

Even beyond the botched logos, the Rams seem to really be overthinking this whole thing to substantial degrees.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

13 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

In terms of attendance the Bills have been 17th, 17th, 21st and 16th since the Chargers moved. The Chargers have been 32nd, 32nd, 32nd and 32nd since moving to LA. Methinks the Bills aren't the issue.

Well duh.  Their old stadium only holds 27K!  This is a new stadium and a new beginning for the Chargers, let's give them a chance.

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

Archived