Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

Just now, guest23 said:

I agree. The blue is way too light to contrast on the yellow on white backgrounds. Either they needed to go with the original san diego blue or bring in a navy or black outline on the yellow bolts like the sd classics. What I am not advocating is a double outline of the yellow bolt like they had on the previous set.

I totally agree. Right now since they are sharing a stadium with another team that wears royal and gold (sol), powder blue is probably a better choice but still, powder blue is too light to contrast with the gold at least in my opinion.

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, colortv said:

The colors contrast perfectly well.             .      spacer.png

Hmmmm thank you for reminding me about their throwbacks. Now I remember why I loved these when the Chargers last wore this specific throwback uniform years ago. The white around the lightning bolts as well as the dark outline around them. This uniform did it right. It works brilliantly because the white on the shoulders with the dark border around the lightning bolts ties it all in and the gold contrasts all of it so damn well. No wonder I found that new powder blue uniform was missing an element to it that it needs. Why did the Chargers not just do this? Minus the helmet numbers of course.

1 hour ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

I love the white, powder blue and gold (LIU, Southern U).  Everything does not need to have high contrast.

That's very true. What the Chargers did not do is they did not design their new powder blue jersey to have enough contrast for the gold lightning bolts on the shoulders. That's why the throwback looks so good.

I was thinking about the Chargers game in Miami being in November or December. If that happens and the Dolphins wear their aqua throwbacks, and the Chargers wear their all white, that is game is going to be real nice.

Are the Dolphins going to still wear their white throwbacks that they wore in 2019? If that happens, and the Chargers wear the powder blue jersey over white pants, that would be good too.

I'm hoping the Bills wear their white throwbacks against the Chargers. The Bills in their white throwbacks and Chargers in the powder blue would also rock. Plus, it would make sense for Buffalo to wear them against the Chargers since the year that the Bills throwbacks were based on (1964-1965 championship), Buffalo won both of those against the Chargers.

On 4/23/2020 at 12:43 PM, BringBackTheVet said:

Gonna have to go ahead and disagree there. Not every team that has shoulder stripes, logo, and TV numbers has made it work.  Carolina Panthers are a great example, since their TV numbers are the size of quarters.  Some have made it work, like the Patriots and Eagles, but even then, the swoosh is practically overlapping the logo in some cases, and if the sleeves shrink any more, it won't be doable.

I'm not a spotter or in the press box so I can't comment on how necessary TV numbers are.  I know that as a fan in the stands, I can't really read them anyway, so they're not relevant to me, and on TV, while they're nice, I don't think they're totally necessary.

It's two teams, so let's see how it goes, and maybe other teams will follow... maybe they won't.  I'm glad someone's at least trying it.

although there are some current examples of certain players on the Panthers where maybe it doesn't work so well, the team itself has made it work.. both historically and even several players currently have appropriately-sized TV numbers.  and as i mentioned before, there's PLENTY of space for largers numbers on the individuals who were given tiny numbers.. there's too much empty real estate above and below those numbers imo.. the numbers appear to be about 2".. 3-4" is standard.. they could easily enlarge by a half-inch or more in each direction to achieve respectable digits (again, like several others on the team currently have anyway)..

although the better treatment would be for the Panthers and Patriots to ditch the sleeve logo and put the numbers there.. no need for all those extra helmet logos on the sleeves

On 4/26/2020 at 7:34 PM, aawagner011 said:

Don’t want to Buc-jack but that fade stripe was a very bizarre thing that is rarely talked about or remembered. It was one of those things that at first I thought “eh, whatever, I can barely notice them and they look like shadows” and then when they debuted, that changed to “oh my god, these look absolutely abysmal.” Thankfully, the Bucs nixed that real quick. Unfortunately, the rest of their set had to wait half a decade.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

That moment when you finally see it and can never unsee it. Glad they dropped it

48 minutes ago, throwmesomepics said:

Do you think the rams and chargers will still open the season with multiple white at home games even though they’re moving into a climate controlled stadium?

Probably not. When the Rams were in St. Louis they rarely wore white at home.

Rams: 1964-1971 every home game; 1972 vs Saints and 49ers; 1978 vs Falcons, Cowboys, Saints, Buccaneers, Packers, NFC DPG vs Vikings and NFC CG vs Cowboys; 1979 vs Chargers and Raiders; 1980 vs Cowboys; 1981 vs Oilers, Browns and Falcons; 1982 every home game; 1993 every home game; 1994 vs Cardinals, Falcons, and Giants; 2008 vs Cowboys; 2012 vs Packers (white pants); 2013 vs 49ers (white pants), 2014 vs Cowboys (white pants); 2016 (Back in Los Angeles) all home games except vs Seahawks (throwbacks) and vs Giants (in London); 2017 all home games including Wild Card vs Falcons, except vs Seahawks (throwbacks) and 49ers (throwbacks); 2018 vs Cardinals and Chargers.

Here's a llisting of every teams white at home games. http://www.gridiron-uniforms.com/GUD/research3.shtml

bSLCtu2.png

On 4/26/2020 at 7:34 PM, aawagner011 said:

Don’t want to Buc-jack but that fade stripe was a very bizarre thing that is rarely talked about or remembered. It was one of those things that at first I thought “eh, whatever, I can barely notice them and they look like shadows” and then when they debuted, that changed to “oh my god, these look absolutely abysmal.” Thankfully, the Bucs nixed that real quick. Unfortunately, the rest of their set had to wait half a decade.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I think the thing with these "stripes" is that they were seemingly designed for Revo Speed helmets and were hardly noticeable, but they just look whacky on any other helmet model.

56 minutes ago, shaydre1019 said:

I think the thing with these "stripes" is that they were seemingly designed for Revo Speed helmets and were hardly noticeable, but they just look whacky on any other helmet model.

A lot of helmet designs were based off the shape and contour of the helmets. The Princeton wings, the center stripe covering the plastic that fused the two sides together, the wide ridge that was used briefly, etc. Makes sense that the newer helmets would have similar features that are designed around or designed for. 

1 hour ago, Sykotyk said:

A lot of helmet designs were based off the shape and contour of the helmets. The Princeton wings, the center stripe covering the plastic that fused the two sides together, the wide ridge that was used briefly, etc. Makes sense that the newer helmets would have similar features that are designed around or designed for. 

There are a couple differences, though.  The first is that back in those days, everyone on a team wore the same model helmet.  And those features weren't proprietary, designed as much to promote a single manufacturer as for any other reason.

On 4/26/2020 at 7:55 PM, IceCap said:

So back in 2014 the Bucs unveiled their awful alarm clock number uniforms and the pewter helmets had these black streaks down the centre. It wasn't a stripe, but sort of like a fade? It was supposed to represent the streaks on cannon balls. It looked stupid and was quietly dropped midway through the set's first season.

dTiNdnw.jpg

I was interested so I did some digging. The black streaks were scrapped after the preseason

fiowXOD.png

Archived