Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

6 hours ago, kutztown said:

I WAS TODAY YEARS OLD WHEN I FIGURED OUT THAT WAS A THING.  THIS IS WILD TO ME! 

Apologies for continuing this Buccaneers threadjack, but I'm fascinated by this.

The original Nike news release on these uniforms bears zero visual representation of this weird black stripe on the helmet. But the copy in the news release references it in perfect Nike-speak. 

Unique to the Buccaneers, the helmet also features a hand-painted pewter speed line overlaid with a larger flag logo designed to accentuate the revolutionized, confident spirit of the franchise

For reference: https://news.nike.com/news/tampa-bay-buccaneers-and-nike-unveil-new-uniform-design-for-2014

"HAND-PAINTED" !!!!! Hilarious.

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

Apologies for continuing this Buccaneers threadjack, but I'm fascinated by this.

The original Nike news release on these uniforms bears zero visual representation of this weird black stripe on the helmet. But the copy in the news release references it in perfect Nike-speak. 

For reference: https://news.nike.com/news/tampa-bay-buccaneers-and-nike-unveil-new-uniform-design-for-2014

"HAND-PAINTED" !!!!! Hilarious.

On this note, can anyone show me an example of the "historical Buccaneer blade carvings" that inspired the number font? All these years, and I have yet to find any hint to what the hell they were talking about. 

12 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I don't think the general idea was terrible so much as really bad in execution. If your thought process is to use the right leg of the "A" to sprout the horn, it actually doesn't look bad using the classic design. It's also something that might actually look good on a cap

6OCJSCj.png

I think it's suffered from the main flaw in the Nike process which is taking the kernel of a good idea and overloading it. We know the thought process behind the Browns actually works if it isn't overloaded because we saw Syracuse pull off the exact look last year. We know the Dolphins 1.0 design just had too much piping because the 2.0 version actually looks decent with the extra details striped away. 

I'm sorry, but this just isn't doing anything for me. I guess it's better than the segmented horn with gradients, but it's still a bad logo. In my head, an LA logo with a horn coming off the A sounds like it could work, but every version I've seen is "meh" at best.

13 hours ago, PosterNutbag said:

On this note, can anyone show me an example of the "historical Buccaneer blade carvings" that inspired the number font? All these years, and I have yet to find any hint to what the hell they were talking about. 

Closest I can find is this Pirates of the Caribbean alarm clock.

S7W71tY.jpg

On 4/26/2020 at 8:15 PM, IceCap said:

I still can't fathom how anyone saw that uniform and went "yep, this is acceptable for a NFL team."

Me, too. Made me think of one of Robin Williams' lines about the decor at Graceland, "I didn't know Ray Charles had a decorating license." I used to see that last Bucs set and think, "I didn't know Ray Charles designed football uniforms!"

13 hours ago, jn8 said:

I'm sorry, but this just isn't doing anything for me. I guess it's better than the segmented horn with gradients, but it's still a bad logo. In my head, an LA logo with a horn coming off the A sounds like it could work, but every version I've seen is "meh" at best.

416f1d62945691.5aa095a07bc15.png

This is the best LA monogram logo that I have seen. Credit Mark Crosby https://dribbble.com/mbingcrosby

14 hours ago, jn8 said:

I just think they overthought it. Revise rather than reinvent, especially for a historic franchise. 

LARAMSLOGO2020.jpg

On 4/26/2020 at 4:10 PM, colortv said:

5e7bb80714f18f20d429de8d?width=750&forma

Banana(-Rama) + Crescent Moon

By the way, has anyone yet pointed out the fact that the new "sun-inspired" color called 'Sol' is actually 'Los' spelled backwards? Those clever folks at Nike never disappoint! I must be a "Los(t) So(u)l" to even notice such a correlation! Personally, I absolutely cannot wait until the Chargers inevitably move elsewhere. Then, subsequently, some smart entity (not myself) can suggest a stadium name change to something like 'SolFi', which would obviously — yes, clearly, no "Nike-Speak" explanation necessary here, folks — represent an abbreviated / shortened form of sorts, standing for 'Sol-den Ratio Fibonacci Spiral'. Just think: The L.A.teralus Rams, presented by TOOL . . .

"Just kidding..."
(To borrow a cynical, closing, lyrical quote from 'Hush' — a song by the aforementioned band.)

46 minutes ago, ⋔ 4 ℞ ℞ $ said:

Banana(-Rama) + Crescent Moon

By the way, has anyone yet pointed out the fact that the new "sun-inspired" color called 'Sol' is actually 'Los' spelled backwards? Those clever folks at Nike never disappoint! I must be a "Los(t) So(u)l" to even notice such a correlation! Personally, I absolutely cannot wait until the Chargers inevitably move elsewhere. Then, subsequently, some smart entity (not myself) can suggest a stadium name change to something like 'SolFi', which would obviously — yes, clearly, no Nike-Speak explanation necessary here, folks — represent an abbreviated / shortened form of sorts, standing for 'Sol-den Ratio Fibonacci Spiral'. Just think: The L.A.teralus Rams, presented by TOOL . . .

"Just kidding..."
(To borrow a cynical, closing, lyrical quote from 'Hush' — a song by the aforementioned band.)

Now that's what I call posting

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Rams have changed the mid field logo on their virtual stadium to the Ram Head logo....I honestly don’t mind the LA logo as a secondary and it looks decent in the end zones.  I wonder if this means anything significant though

On 4/27/2020 at 12:16 PM, BJ Sands said:

I feel the same way about the Bledsoe-era Bills uniform, and maybe more so . The Bucs uniform was at least going for some theme. It failed miserably, but there was a discernible direction.  

The Bills were just a bunch of random stripes thrown together in a non-sensical way. 

This isn’t to defend the previous Bucs set. It was historically bad. Just not quite as awful as that Bills era. 

The Bills’ white jersey from that set was okay, in a vacuum. It was extremely of its time, and unnecessarily busy, but the brighter blue numbers popped. Overall, though, every questionable early-aughts trend was followed: piping, side panels, darkening of colors, unnecessary addition of a metallic color (nickel, in this case), looking like ass (the biggest trend of the day). 

Sorry if this is random but even though I think the Chargers new uniforms are an improvement, I love powder blue as a color but I just don't know if I am sold on powder blue and gold. I think their royal blue jersey is much nicer and I think it contrasts with the gold much much better than powder blue.

8 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Sorry if this is random but even though I think the Chargers new uniforms are an improvement, I love powder blue as a color but I just don't know if I am sold on powder blue and gold. I think their royal blue jersey is much nicer and I think it contrasts with the gold much much better than powder blue.

I agree. The blue is way too light to contrast on the yellow on white backgrounds. Either they needed to go with the original san diego blue or bring in a navy or black outline on the yellow bolts like the sd classics. What I am not advocating is a double outline of the yellow bolt like they had on the previous set.

Archived