rjrrzube

Washington NFL Franchise Retires Name and Logo

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, dont care said:

No red tails is an awful name just meant to pander. The are the Tuskegee airmen and have no connection to Washington.

They fought for this country. There’s the connection, not only to Washington, but to the UNITED STATES. And I’m sure I don’t have to remind anybody how many of those hero’s were treated (especially in the south) when they returned from fighting for this country.

 

And using fox imagery isn’t too bad either if one doesn’t want to go the military fetish route.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why don't they call themselves the Washington Cherries? It has two meanings:

  • It relates to the fictional story of George Washington and a cherry tree. When he was six years old, George received a hatchet as a gift from his father which he then proceeded to chop down his father's favorite cherry tree. It was only then the latter found out what happen and justifiably scolded for what George did. Eventually, George accepted what he did and his father embraced him for his honesty.
  • Washington, DC is home to cherry blossoms growing on Independence Avenue. Every March, cherry blossom festivals are held will they last about 14 days before the flowers stop blooming.

Keep the colour scheme, sure. But have a logo of a cherry tree inside of the circle logo and I'll be jumping on a bandwagon.

 

Hail to the Cherries!

Hail Victory!

Men of the Warpath!

We bloom for ol' DC!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Gothamite said:


Other than their commanding officer being a native Washingtonian, you mean.   And the natural connection all military units can be said to have to our national capital, particularly one with its very specific roots in the HQ in Washington. 

 

If you’re going to exclude it because all military imagery should be off the table, I’m with you.  But if any other military-inspired names are in the mix, this one should be as well. 

Not really, being in the military, army units are more connected with their post than Washington. 2ID is for fort Lewis Washington, 1ID is Benning, ect, also people really don’t care where the commander came from.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Beckhamcantbendmiami said:

I want to remind you all that "Redtail" is slang for spanking a butt during sex

 

You can't "remind" anyone of something they never knew, so you're not reminding any mature person.

 

Now if I'm mistaken and that is a well-known thing, then it opens up a merchandising opportunity since they could sell gloves with a raised logo on the palm so the recipient of said red tail ends up with the logo on her or his ass.

 

---------------------------------------

 

Regarding the trademark issue that's been brought up a bunch of times (them continuing to sell their old stuff just to maintain the trademark) didn't courts rule that they can't have a trademark on it?  Or was it just the name?  I could swear that there's something about not being able to trademark slurs or 'hate speech' or something like that.

 

All they have to do for this year is be "Washington", and wear their throwbacks with the plain helmet.  Maybe they have a new name and logo by end of year, and that's totally fine, since there likely won't be an end of the season.  What would be really strange is if they start as just "Washington NFL", and then the league suspends operations, and then they come back to finish the season as the Washington Red Tails, they'd likely be the first major team to completely change its identity midway through the season.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

 All they have to do for this year is be "Washington", and wear their throwbacks with the plain helmet.  Maybe they have a new name and logo by end of year, and that's totally fine, since there likely won't be an end of the season.  What would be really strange is if they start as just "Washington NFL", and then the league suspends operations, and then they come back to finish the season as the Washington Red Tails, they'd likely be the first major team to completely change its identity midway through the season.

 

Couldn't they just wear their regular home and away uniforms without the wordmark on the chest? Or would this be too late in the process?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Friedrich Stuart Macbeth said:

Why don't they call themselves the Washington Cherries? It has two meanings:

 

 

I'm pretty sure it has more than just two meanings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, JayMac said:

Couldn't they just wear their regular home and away uniforms without the wordmark on the chest? Or would this be too late in the process?

 

They probably could unsew the wordmark from the jerseys and remove the decal from the helmet. I wouldn't like it but if it's what needs to be done then so be it. I have to wonder if the Browns would be irritated by another blank helmet team and possibly try to stop it? It seems like the kinda thing that would happen.

 

pt8OjJm.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Beckhamcantbendmiami said:

I want to remind you all that "Redtail" is slang for spanking a butt during sex

 

Well, I guess we're ALL in agreement now.

 

The DC Redtails. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Old School Fool said:

 

They probably could unsew the wordmark from the jerseys and remove the decal from the helmet. I wouldn't like it but if it's what needs to be done then so be it. I have to wonder if the Browns would be irritated by another blank helmet team and possibly try to stop it? It seems like the kinda thing that would happen.

 

pt8OjJm.png

 

Put some numbers on the helmets, and they're good to go (If the season even happens).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not gonna lie, I love the current logo. I think it is such a stoic and strong figure. Much better than the cartoonish Chief Wahoo from Cleveland. But looking forward to a much more acceptable name and logo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

 

 

I'm pretty sure it has more than just two meanings.

Like........?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, stripping the logo/ wordmark patch from the primaries are the way to go for this season or this season and the next. However long a rushed timeframe is needed to make/design new jerseys and get them on field is how long they should wear them.

 

 

Also, the browns can just deal with it for this year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, _J_ said:

Honestly, stripping the logo/ wordmark patch from the primaries are the way to go for this season or this season and the next. However long a rushed timeframe is needed to make/design new jerseys and get them on field is how long they should wear them.

 

 

Also, the browns can just deal with it for this year. 

I don't think the Browns will care. It's one thing if it were a permanent change instead of a temporary one. I just hope Cleveland's done with taking the stripes off in preseason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MJWalker45 said:

I don't think the Browns will care. It's one thing if it were a permanent change instead of a temporary one. I just hope Cleveland's done with taking the stripes off in preseason.

That's honestly my thoughts too. Everyone knows it's temporary so there wont be complaints.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's been said and will be said again, but this is the direction they should go, letting the name be something fairly unremarkable and the classic look speak for itself.

 

2015318_display_image.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Beckhamcantbendmiami said:

I want to remind you all that "Redtail" is slang for spanking a butt during sex

 

I'd be willing to bet good money that you're the only person in this thread who thought of that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Old School Fool said:

I have to wonder if the Browns would be irritated by another blank helmet team and possibly try to stop it?

 

No and no.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, coggs said:

Bring back the Bullets?

 

That would be just as bad as Redskins at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.