Washington NFL Franchise Retires Name and Logo

raz

12 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Interesting. I was under the impression that the LA Chargers mini helmet wouldn't have numbers. Why the inconsistency?

Maybe because the Chargers have the bolts while WFT only has numbers? Not sure, maybe the company thinks the bolt is enough for the Chargers but without anything else of the helmet the WFT needs the numbers?

the user formerly known as cdclt

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I finally caved and bought a jersey in May, obviously it says "(Washington Football Team)." So now I'm stuck with an already outdated jersey. It would be cool if the team let fans trade in (Washington Football Team) gear for stuff with the new name once they change for good.   

2 hours ago, DNAsports said:

For anyone who was actually concerned about whether or not there were any big changes to the jerseys-

spacer.png

Hmmm. That wordmark makes me wonder how their burgundy jerseys would look if the numbers and NOB were gold instead of white.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

41 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

Hmmm. That wordmark makes me wonder how their burgundy jerseys would look if the numbers and NOB were gold instead of white.

I don’t understand your reasoning, it’s the same application from when they were the other team name

The biggest thing I dislike about this is that they used the wordmark as the primary logo. I normally hate roundels, but they should have used an actual logo.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

5 minutes ago, nash61 said:

The biggest thing I dislike about this is that they used the wordmark as the primary logo. I normally hate roundels, but they should have used an actual logo.

It’s to make the change as temporary as possible, and not get people attached to a temporary logo and then get stuck with it in the new identity when they figure out what they want.

5 hours ago, 1insaneguy said:

I finally caved and bought a jersey in May, obviously it says "(Washington Football Team)." So now I'm stuck with an already outdated jersey. It would be cool if the team let fans trade in (Washington Football Team) gear for stuff with the new name once they change for good.   

$urely the team won't do that. E$pecially Dan $nyder. 

It's where I sit.

23 hours ago, 1insaneguy said:

Now it's a fun relic of a one-season look for the team. It's the reason I've been tempted to buy some stuff despite being incapable of caring any less about Washington Football.

Where does all this stand on celebrating the history?

The 90th anniversary is 2022. They have made such a big deal about Est.1932. Washington have always commemorated milestones by using a jersey patch. But will future patches eliminate any reference to Native American imagery and verbaige? Or will they simply swap out any historical name/logo with whatever NEW name/logo is finally decided?

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

2 hours ago, Faxion said:

Where does all this stand on celebrating the history?

The 90th anniversary is 2022. They have made such a big deal about Est.1932. Washington have always commemorated milestones by using a jersey patch. But will future patches eliminate any reference to Native American imagery and verbaige? Or will they simply swap out any historical name/logo with whatever NEW name/logo is finally decided?

It will most likely just be based on the newer names and logos, similar to the examples you posted (other than the 70th anniversary being based in an older look). Making a big deal about being Est. 1932 is fine, because that's when the franchise was founded. In 1932 they were the Boston Braves. A different city and a different nickname, but it still counts. We just won't see Native imagery in the future.

If you're lucky you'll get a "90 Years of Washington Football" roundel with a yellow-tipped feather coming off it, Race War 2020 will probably have died down enough by then.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 8/13/2020 at 11:56 AM, oldschoolvikings said:

The Landry/Staubach Cowboys teams were where I first cut my Cowboy-hating teeth.  When I was a lad, (young people, take a deep breath) we only got at best 4 NFL games a week, and with only the local sports news for clips, virtually zero national highlights (outside of Howard Cosell's MNF halftime show).  At that time CBS had the NFC rights and, living in Ohio far away from Minnesota, I was desperate for Viking games, clips, highlights, anything.  Instead CBS crammed the despicable Dallas Cowboys down our unwilling throats while NBC alternated the Bengals and Browns. Everyone I knew hated, hated, HATED, the Cowboys, but every week CBS (as my brother called them, the Cowboys Broadcasting System) continued to put them on. My Lord, I hated them. And CBS was so unabashed in their blatant favoritism.  Friggin' Phyllis George litterally cried on air after one glorious playoff flame out by those pompous jerkwads. "America's team"... the nerve!  My hate knew no bounds. When Skeletor... I mean Jerry Jones bought them, the hate just continued.  

On 8/13/2020 at 12:10 PM, infrared41 said:

Other than being desperate for Vikings games, that is exactly how I would describe my experience with the 70's Cowboys - right down to the "Cowboys Broadcasting System." I had one friend who was a Cowboys fan and the only reason he was a Cowboys fan was because he was from Texas. Everyone else despised that team.

Not to re-Cowboyjack this thread, but...

...I know you two are, um, much further along in life than I am 😉, but as far as the Cowboy fatigue, now...take all that what y'all just said and imagine growing up in the same town where the eventual NFL all-time leading rusher grew up, with 24/7 Cowboys (and Braves baseball, at the time) being crammed down every orifice, from every angle--newspaper, the local news sports segment, at school on the playground, every...single...minute of the day

So yeah...that's where my "can't-stand-'em"ness comes from. (Added to the fact that Emmitt Smith really ain't the most beloved figure back home, either--but I'll digress on that.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

38 minutes ago, Faxion said:

Yep...this is the future of Washington's revisionist past. Native Americans are now deleted from the team's entire history. 

This is from the official Washington twitter feed:

spacer.png

in their defense, the future-RedWolves were wearing the throwbacks pictured in the first panel during the game in which he was injured.  i still say they won't erase the logo and whatnot when honoring the past.  

i've watched a few clips of their training camp coverage on YouTube, and their channel has no problem showing highlights from the past season with the logo/name/field visible

1 hour ago, bucky_bleichert said:

in their defense, the future-RedWolves were wearing the throwbacks pictured in the first panel during the game in which he was injured.  i still say they won't erase the logo and whatnot when honoring the past.  

i've watched a few clips of their training camp coverage on YouTube, and their channel has no problem showing highlights from the past season with the logo/name/field visible

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Faxion said:

Yep...this is the future of Washington's revisionist past. Native Americans are now deleted from the team's entire history. 

This is from the official Washington twitter feed:

spacer.png

But that's a good thing? Nobody's forgetting that they were named a slur, and nobody probably will for the next 50 years, it'll still be a simple Google search away even if they do. What theyre doing is eliminating imagery connected to the racist past. What does adding the old logo do to this comic? Why does it really matter. 

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

Archived