NFL Changes 2021

simtek34

47 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

I suppose a more accurate comparison would be the Patriots-Roughnecks debacle of the NFL’s ridiculous claim that the latter is “too close” to New England’s.

spacer.png

spacer.png

"too close" does not equal "derivative"

• Like 7

It's where I sit.

1 hour ago, DNAsports said:

Idk how anyone would look at that and think it’s a Patriots logo

True but you’d be lying to yourself if you didn’t say they were similar and used a lot of the same design elements, down to stylized guy wearing a hat, with 3 tails, and the same color scheme.

• Like 13

38 minutes ago, dont care said:

True but you’d be lying to yourself if you didn’t say they were similar and used a lot of the same design elements, down to stylized guy wearing a hat, with 3 tails, and the same color scheme.

Not to mention very similar face shading. I'm never a fan of the NFL copywrite claiming smaller leagues on such small matters like these, but this instance in particular was a bit more justified. The more you look at each logos defining features, the more and more similar the two logos become. I can see why the NFL thought they were similar, but filing a copywriter claim after the league had already died (plus the logo was never really used to begin with) is just a jerk move.

• Like 3

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

6 minutes ago, PERRIN said:

Not to mention very similar face shading. I'm never a fan of the NFL copywrite claiming smaller leagues on such small matters like these, but this instance in particular was a bit more justified. The more you look at each logos defining features, the more and more similar the two logos become. I can see why the NFL thought they were similar, but filing a copywriter claim after the league had already died (plus the logo was never really used to begin with) is just a jerk move.

Jerk move or not, the NFL does have a very important interest in protecting their trademarks. It's the same thing as the Roughnecks' derrick logo, if the NFL wants to protect its trademark for certain logos (the most successful modern team and an incredibly popular throwback team) then they have to go after every logo that looks even somewhat similar.

I hate the NFL's business practices as much as the next guy but they are in the right to do this, in fact, they pretty much have to do this so that the trademark stays.

• Like 11
  • Applause 1

the user formerly known as cdclt

2 hours ago, PERRIN said:

Well they applied the copyright far before the league died, it just didn’t get to the point of lawsuit and court filing until after it died

• Like 4

And it is never a "jerk move" to defend your copyright.

Even if they had waited until the league folded, so what?  Somebody could have bought the league's assets out of bankruptcy and used them.  And the NFL might not be able to do anything at that point, having failed to take action earlier.

• Like 15

On 6/12/2021 at 3:13 PM, MCM0313 said:

Is it bad that, even with all the flaws of this set, I think the Rams look fantastic in this uniform combo?

Well it is the closest thing to a replication of the throwback set. Those yellow pants need to be worn for every game possible.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

Well it is the closest thing to a replication of the throwback set. Those yellow pants need to be worn for every game possible.

Agreed. Yellow pants 100% of the time. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

2 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

Agreed. Yellow pants 100% of the time. 

Agreed also. Even this was a decent-to-good look

spacer.png

• Like 6
  • Dislike 1

On 6/11/2021 at 11:26 AM, Ben in LA said:

After seeing the photo, I had to tweet this question to the team.

I don't think there's anything to it, especially since the Rams design team was very upfront about their desire to take the branding to a digital space (see my interview following the unveiling). It's very similar to ESPN's three-dimensional team logos that you'll see during game broadcasts (particularly in the NBA). 

• Like 9

On 6/10/2021 at 5:10 PM, tBBP said:

I know we done went all off-track in here, but yeah, I could've gotten with that, too, especially since they dropped the overly-nerdy shtick with Billy right about the time the White Ranger showed up which really strengthened his character. I understand (and even at the time understood) what they were trying to do in preserving "color continuity" with Rocky the Red Ranger still being the "group of 5" leader (see what I did there?), but it never worked on any level. By the time of Zeo, Rocky finally settled into his own, had some of the best focus episodes, and looking back was arguably the most well-rounded character of the five.

But weren't we talking about NFL changes and not Ranger color changes in here?? 😆

Was Billy explicitly Jewish, or was he just a nebbishy intellectual? Because the Red Ranger was ambiguously Latino/indigenous, the Yellow Ranger was Asian, the Black Ranger was black, so I always figured blue had to correspond with the Israeli flag, I mean, had to mean something. It was a Haim Saban production.

• Huh? 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

11 hours ago, AgentColon2 said:

Derek Carr rocking this weird new helmet at minicamp.

spacer.png

It sure is a weird helmet, but it sure looks like there's some guy behind him that's having an intense religious/edibles experience.

• Like 9
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

News on the Rams 2021 alt.

https://theathletic.com/2653962/2021/06/15/rams-coo-kevin-demoff-the-new-uniforms-are-coming-shares-exclusive-details-and-time-frame/

Its paywalled, so here’s a screenshot Uni Watch provided us with.

spacer.png

Multiple teams with  “a classic or throwback”?  Is the NFL keeping the one-helmet rule repealing a secret?

• Like 6