NFL Changes 2021

simtek34

19 minutes ago, colinturner95 said:

Teams can pair the second helmet with alternate, throwback or Color Rush uniforms

Little bit more than just the throwbacks. 

Honestly, I am ok with this. More throwback options are back in the mix, and with the ability to add in some alternate looks, we should get some more intriguing options. I fear for the lack of restraint, but as long as teams are wearing their primary helmets more, I am fine with it. Great to see this happen.

Here is a list of a few teams that I think  could take advantage of this rule right off the bat, not including throwbacks:

-Los Angeles Chargers (navy color rush)

-Los Angeles Rams (whatever god-awful idea they will come up with next year, unless if they do a throwback)

-Cincinnati Bengals (white jersey/pants, the white tiger idea seems to be pretty popular, this would be the perfect time to pull it out).

-Dallas Cowboys (white color rush)

-Buffalo Bills (red helmet could be mixed in with the red color rush uniform)

-Washington FT (could have something planned with the alternate along with their redesign)

-New York Jets (black alternate)

While we have seen throwback helmets before, I don't think we have seen a true alternate helmet worn as a widespread idea in the NFL (I believe the Saints tried the alternate helmet idea decades ago as part of the preseason). Seeing where modern design trends have gone, this was bound to happen when the one-helmet rule was lifted. I still expect to see throwback helmets make up the majority of the looks under this rule though.

• Like 9

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

16 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

It says 'can' be paired, not 'must' be paired. Those are two entirely different words.

"This alternate color helmet MUST ONLY be worn together with one of the club's authorized optional uniforms (Classic, Alternate, and/or Color Rush)." That to me means it can't be worn with standard home/road sets.

• Like 3

Sigh. We're only one year away from the Panthers in a black helmet. I was all for removing the one-helmet rule so long as it meant throwbacks only. With it being used for alternates as well we will see absolute garbage very, very soon.

• Like 7
  • WOAH 1

the user formerly known as cdclt

As long as the secondary helmet stays only with designated alternate uniforms and follows the same rules as far as how frequent a team can wear them as said alternate uniforms (and safety is up to par), I have no qualms with this change.

I do hope they keep the current uniform regulations in place, though. Two alternates is the perfect number and allowing alternates to be worn only 3 times is also the optimal amount. Alternate uniforms are just that and shouldn’t be shoehorned in to act as a “Home 2” jersey imo. Similarly, uniform continuity is important, and it signals brand continuity; the NFL needs to avoid the jumbled mess that the NBA and its plethora of ever-changing uniforms have become. 

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, SSmith48 said:

Honestly, I am ok with this. More throwback options are back in the mix, and with the ability to add in some alternate looks, we should get some more intriguing options. I fear for the lack of restraint, but as long as teams are wearing their primary helmets more, I am fine with it. Great to see this happen.

Here is a list of a few teams that I think  could take advantage of this rule right off the bat, not including throwbacks:

-Los Angeles Rams (whatever god-awful idea they will come up with next year, unless if they do a throwback)

-Cincinnati Bengals (white jersey/pants, the white tiger idea seems to be pretty popular, this would be the perfect time to pull it out).

-Washington FT (could have something planned with the alternate along with their redesign)

While we have seen throwback helmets before, I don't think we have seen a true alternate helmet worn as a widespread idea in the NFL (I believe the Saints tried the alternate helmet idea decades ago as part of the preseason). Seeing where modern design trends have gone, this was bound to happen when the one-helmet rule was lifted. I still expect to see throwback helmets make up the majority of the looks under this rule though.

The Chargers should do a ‘94 throwback while there are still players from that team living. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, QCS said:

Sigh. We're only one year away from the Panthers in a black helmet. I was all for removing the one-helmet rule so long as it meant throwbacks only. With it being used for alternates as well we will see absolute garbage very, very soon.

Unless they change uniform designations, they'd only be able to wear it with the blue jersey, saving us from mono-black at least. Not sure how I feel about black/blue/black, or black/blue/white though. Could look okay, could be garbage.

• Like 1

spacer.png

2 minutes ago, burgundy said:

Unless they change uniform designations, they'd only be able to wear it with the blue jersey, saving us from mono-black at least. Not sure how I feel about black/blue/black, or black/blue/white though. Could look okay, could be garbage.

Would look something like this

spacer.png

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, ~Bear said:

As long as the secondary helmet stays only with designated alternate uniforms and follows the same rules as far as how frequent a team can wear them as said alternate uniforms (and safety is up to par), I have no qualms with this change.

I do hope they keep the current uniform regulations in place, though. Two alternates is the perfect number and allowing alternates to be worn only 3 times is also the optimal amount. Alternate uniforms are just that and shouldn’t be shoehorned in to act as a “Home 2” jersey imo. Similarly, uniform continuity is important, and it signals brand continuity; the NFL needs to avoid the jumbled mess that the NBA and its plethora of ever-changing uniforms have become. 

Teams like the Titans, Jags, and Rams already have a jumbled mess of an identity because they constantly swap out different colored pants, socks, undershirts, and push the alternate jerseys to the limit. Alternate helmets will only make that worse league-wide. There are only 17 games in the season, the NFL has no room at all to be churning out alternate looks like the other three leagues

• Like 6

6 hours ago, VDizzle12 said:

The official memo says it "must only be worn" with a throwback or alternate. So we'll only see these alternates a max of 3 times and not with "normal" uniforms.

If paired with a throwback it must be historically accurate. If it's an alternate, it must include a logo/colors used by the team or used in the alternate uniform. So no random colors added or new logos. Like the Vikings or Chiefs randomly adding a black helmet. 

That doesn’t preclude the Rams introducing a bone(r) helmet, or the Seahawks going neon from helmet to cleats. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, burgundy said:

I do like the possibility of black/blue/black/blue, but the blue socks are a necessity. Black socks with black pants looks terrible, every time.

• Like 7

the user formerly known as cdclt

5 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

Would look something like this

spacer.png

This picture is a prime example of why the NFL needs to ban plain white socks. Either teal or black and you have a solid, if overly simple, look. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SSmith48 said:

I can’t remember whether the Saints wanted to make their helmet black full-time or if it was supposed to be an alternate, but I believe the league said they hadn’t given proper notice to receive approval. 

When the Seahawks went through their first redesign for the 2002 season, some people wanted them to wear blue helmets at home and silver on the road, but the NFL nixed that, too. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

Two helmets?

spacer.png

Agreed. Plenty of teams that will be able to take advantage of this to their and the league's advantage, particularly with throwbacks. 

• Applause 1

18 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

I can’t remember whether the Saints wanted to make their helmet black full-time or if it was supposed to be an alternate, but I believe the league said they hadn’t given proper notice to receive approval. 

When the Seahawks went through their first redesign for the 2002 season, some people wanted them to wear blue helmets at home and silver on the road, but the NFL nixed that, too. 

Why do the Saints hate gold so much? It's so bizarre

• Like 11

1 hour ago, MCM0313 said:

This picture is a prime example of why the NFL needs to ban plain white socks. Either teal or black and you have a solid, if overly simple, look. 

Doesn’t this:

spacer.png

Look better than this?: 

spacer.png

• Like 13

4 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

Doesn’t this:

spacer.png

Look better than this?: 

spacer.png

No.

• Like 1
  • Huh? 1

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

28 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

Doesn’t this:

spacer.png

Look better than this?: 

spacer.png

White socks are much better looking with the red pants. Red socks makes it look like the football uniform is a giant unitard

• Like 8