College Football 2021

MJWalker45

Apparently even in college football, refs are not to be criticized.

You know, people might have less of an issue with officiating if the refs and the people in charge weren’t so damn arrogant about it. Can’t exactly solve an issue if you not only deny that it’s an issue but also say that the real issue is that people bring it up. 

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, well, well...next week's Gators-Noles rivalry game is going to essentially be a playoff game (Winner goes bowling, loser's season is over).

Goes to show how far both programs have fallen...some say the loser's head coach will be fired, but I honestly think both will.

bYhYmxh.png

Florida State will not be firing Norvell unless there's a scandal. We're 5-2 in the last seven, got dicked out of a win in one of those losses, and we aren't going to pay three head coaches at once. The administrative hot mess/lack of organization that doomed Willie has been resolved. Add to those a strong recruiting class that could finish in the top 10 and currently sits at 13th nationally in the 247 Composite, you have a frustrated yet optimistic fan base/booster culture that doesn't even have their trigger finger on the gun.

Do you really think a school that knows all too well what happens when you fire a coach in less than two years in the ESP era will do it again? They won't, especially when one of those years is 2020.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

so Alabama clinches a spot in the SEC title game via egregious refball. Ohio State practically has the big ten title on a silver platter. there is a very real chance Clemson can bullpiss their way into an ACC title.

but it's just like 2007, right guys

53Ocz8U.png

12 hours ago, JerseyJimmy said:

so Alabama clinches a spot in the SEC title game via egregious refball. 

I didn't see the whole game, but that last Alabama touchdown was such a load of crap. He clearly did not have control when his elbow hit out of bounds. How can they review that and not see that? The announcers didn't mention it either as they showed replay after replay. They were so focused on if the ball hit the ground that they didn't notice he was already out of bounds.

spacer.png

For anyone who cares, the FCS playoffs start next weekend.

Here are the top 8 seeds..

1. Sam Houston State

2. North Dakota State

3. James Madison

4. Sacramento State

5. Villanova

6. Montana

7. East Tennessee State

8. Montana State

..and the first round games

-Stephen F. Austin at Incarnate Word (Winner at #1 Sam Houston State)

-UT Martin at Missouri State (Winner at #8 Montana State)

-Sacred Heart at Holy Cross (Winner at #5 Villanova)

-UC Davis at South Dakota State (Winner at #4 Sacramento State)

-Florida A&M at SE Louisiana (Winner at #3 James Madison)

-Northern Iowa at Eastern Washington (Winner at #6 Montana)

-Davidson at Kennesaw State (Winner at #7 ETSU)

-Southern Illinois at South Dakota (Winner at #2 North Dakota State)

Prior to this season Mullen had gone to a NY6 bowl every year and had a division championship under his belt. Especially in a market like this, where USC, LSU, and more are also shopping for coaches, who'll want to go to UF when no matter how good your track record is you get fired for one bad season?

Oh, yeah, by the way, they gave Muschamp another year after going 4-8 with a loss to then FCS Georgia Southern but won't even let Mullen finish out the season. There has to be something going on behind the scenes that we don't know about... right? Because if not this is insanely trigger happy IMO.

ExJworW.png

Florida fans are over it. Year 4 is when you're supposed to put it all together. It's when almost the entire roster is guys you recruited. As the roster became more and more Mullen recruits, their on field performance and record took a dip. Somehow Grantham was holding it somewhat together as evidenced by the D's performance once he left.

The recruiting is really what did him in. As noted, this is his roster now and with the resources they're dumping into recruiting,  you shouldn't be only 23rd nationally and 9th in the SEC behind the likes of Kentucky, South Carolina, Mizzou, and Arkansas.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

6 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

Prior to this season Mullen had gone to a NY6 bowl every year and had a division championship under his belt. Especially in a market like this, where USC, LSU, and more are also shopping for coaches, who'll want to go to UF when no matter how good your track record is you get fired for one bad season?

LSU fired a coach a year and a half after coaching one of the greatest teams of all-time.  And you can say what you want about Orgeron, but he never gave up like Mullen appeared to.  The bigger problem is that the AD conducting the job search should be fired for completely different reasons.

Mullen is too arrogant and stubborn to really be successful at Florida or anywhere with expectations.  He seems like he's good in the underdog role, but is incapable of getting his teams to show up for the games that should be wins but are losable (like Mizzou, SCAR, Kentucky).  He tied his fate to Grantham after a National Championship-caliber offense was pissed away by one of the worst defenses in school history and he still brought him back.  He completely botched the QB situation this year just like he did with Franks and Trask.  Lord knows why Dameon Pierce isn't getting the bulk of the carries at RB.  And like Geoff said, he doesn't recruit well.  And since this recruiting class is going to be a mess anyway, you might as well at least make it the next guy's transition class.

It was pretty clear this year he isn't going to work out.  I don't see why the program should beat it's head against the wall trying to make it work.

IUe6Hvh.png

14 hours ago, See Red said:

LSU fired a coach a year and a half after coaching one of the greatest teams of all-time.  And you can say what you want about Orgeron, but he never gave up like Mullen appeared to.  The bigger problem is that the AD conducting the job search should be fired for completely different reasons.

If you have your girlfriends running around on the field running plays, as has been stated by some players, he at least checked out if he didn't outright give up. That's even worse.  If you think you're so big that you can hit on women at gas stations, after dealing with Title IX allegations for years, that's a different level of hubris or stupidity. LSU should bury La-Monroe no matter how bad they are and they couldn't do that. 

On 11/20/2021 at 7:36 PM, JerseyJimmy said:

so Alabama clinches a spot in the SEC title game via egregious refball. Ohio State practically has the big ten title on a silver platter. there is a very real chance Clemson can bullpiss their way into an ACC title.

but it's just like 2007, right guys

I wonder what would happen to Harbaugh if Michigan gets blown out like they did in 2018. Do the fans say to fire him on Sunday? Seeing how they've done this year it's showing how well they've improved. And if they hadn't taken their foot off the throat of Michigan State, they and Ohio State might be swapping their ranks in the CFP.  As far as Clemson, I'll be cheering for Wake Forest to beat Boston College, just to get someone new into the game. I think Pitt would beat whomever is in that game though. Clemson's offense never took off this year which is surprising since D.J. had a couple good scoring games last year. 

https://www.ncaa.com/brackets/football/d2/2021

Division II playoffs started last weekend.

SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 20, 2021

FIRST ROUND

Slippery Rock 25

Notre Dame (OH) 33

Findlay 31

Shepherd 38

West Ga. 23

Albany St. (GA) 7

Bemidji St. 28

Augustana (SD) 24

Lenoir-Rhyne 10

Bowie St. 31

Lindenwood 3

Grand Valley St. 20

Bentley 13

New Haven 38

Minn. Duluth 14

Angelo St. 48

Washburn 14

Harding 30

Central Wash. 21

Northwest Mo. St. 50

Newberry 33

West Florida 30

Neb.-Kearney 31

Western Colo. 24

N.M. Highlands 31

Western N.M. 28

https://www.ncaa.com/brackets/football/d3/2021

Same for Division III. Carnegie Mellon made the field but had to withdraw due to Covid cases. Mount Union blew out Washington and Lee, 52-0. 

WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 17, 2021
FINAL

Crown (MN) 20

Northwestern-St. Paul 59
SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 20, 2021
NO-CONTEST
Carnegie Mellon

North Central (IL)

Wis.-La Crosse 58

Albion 23

Rose-Hulman 21

DePauw 26

Anna Maria 10

Delaware Valley 62

Rensselaer 20

Endicott 14

Wash. & Lee 0

Mount Union 52

Framingham St. 0

Muhlenberg 45

Springfield 21

SUNY Cortland 26

Johns Hopkins 45

Salisbury 20

Huntingdon 14

Birmingham-So. 24

Bethel (MN) 35

Central (IA) 61

Trinity (TX) 3

Mary Hardin-Baylor 13

Lake Forest 14

Saint John's (MN) 41

Aurora 31

Wheaton (IL) 63

Greenville 7

Wis.-Whitewater 69

Redlands 10

Linfield 44

Saint Vincent 19

FDU-Florham 38

Stevenson 28

Franklin & Marshall 42

Utica 7

Grove City 49

Ursinus 23

Lycoming 31

Wash. & Jeff. 7

SUNY Brockport 20

Widener 21

Susquehanna 49

Alfred St. 16

UMass Dartmouth 42

Merchant Marine 63

Western New Eng. 35

Hobart 21

Westminster (PA) 3

WashU 27

UW-River Falls 48

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

@MJWalker45 that report has been refuted by players.  I'm not arguing that Orgeron is a particularly good coach just that the firing a coach after having success also goes towards the LSU.  Except that while Coach O and his staff may be lacking in the ability to develop and prepare the team, LSU appears to still be showing up and trying, as does the staff. The same cannot be said for Florida since the WLOCP.

On Saturday, Florida got the ball with 1:04 left in regulation of a tied game at their own 30, so realistically needing only 40 yards or so for a FG attempt.  Mullen ran out the clock. I have never seen that.  Certainly not from an "offensive guru".  I genuinely don't think the guy had any interest in keeping this job.

Plus, as far as the desirability of the LSU job goes, surely the athletic department covering up rape would be a deterrent for some coaches. 

For what it's worth, I think Florida ends up with Napier.

IUe6Hvh.png

On 11/20/2021 at 7:36 PM, JerseyJimmy said:

Ohio State practically has the big ten title on a silver platter.

Sad but true.  Unless Graham Mertz somehow gets possessed by Johnny Unitas for a day, Wisconsin has no chance against Ohio State....which bodes really poorly for Iowa in the event the Hawkeyes somehow win the West, given how crappy they looked against UW.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

5 hours ago, Discrim said:

Sad but true.  Unless Graham Mertz somehow gets possessed by Johnny Unitas for a day, Wisconsin has no chance against Ohio State....which bodes really poorly for Iowa in the event the Hawkeyes somehow win the West, given how crappy they looked against UW.

Minnesota still has a chance, too. Iowa? Wisconsin? Minnesota?  I don't see a lot of fear coming from Columbus. I think the true Big Ten championship game is this weekend in Ann Arbor.

As a Badger fan, I guess I want to win the west. I'll take the crap from my Goopher neighbors because I'd rather be 2-5 in that game than 0-0. That said, I fear that we could see the Cardale Jones Game, Part II, given how miserable Wisconsin's pass defense looked last week. I' really like to see Michigan win that game on Saturday because I think there's a better chance the West champ keeps it close with them in Indy. (Not to mention that it would be nice to see someone else win the Big Ten.)

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived