Nike Launches New MLB City Connect Uniform Series

6 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I think two tone caps look immensely better with the brighter color on the brim than the crown. As a kid I loved the Marlins teal crown/black brim a lot because it's the cap I owned and wore more than any other cap but now I own an inverted one like the one above and it looks way better to me.

I agree. I've also really become a fan of white caps with colored brims and squatchees. A very sharp look.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Marlins93 said:

New Era has experimented with the teal bill look for the Marlins. I might still prefer the inverse (teal crown/black bill), although that could be because that's what I'm used to.

01_cc6b5569-f126-4ea6-930a-9a187eb2ee5b.jpg?v=1522002861

This is absolutely gorgeous.

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

Two-toned caps are almost always my favorite when the color balance is right. White-paneled caps can be great, too. I think the classic Blue Jays cap might still be my all-time favorite.

I feel like Nike and the MLB have really messed up on the release schedule. According to the mothership:

The Miami Marlins will debut theirs on May 21st, the White Sox on June 5th, the Cubs on June 12th, the Diamondbacks on June 18th, the Giants on July 9th, and the Los Angeles Dodgers will finish things off sometime in late August. 

And Boston was April 6.

That's a ridiculously long time between unveilings, and that really kills the mood. As much as some people hated the NHL Reverse Retros, the unveiling was incredible.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

7 hours ago, nash61 said:

I feel like Nike and the MLB have really messed up on the release schedule. According to the mothership:

And Boston was April 6.

That's a ridiculously long time between unveilings, and that really kills the mood. As much as some people hated the NHL Reverse Retros, the unveiling was incredible.

Those dates are the dates of the first games the unis are to be worn, those aren't the unveilings.

23 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I think two tone caps look immensely better with the brighter color on the brim than the crown. As a kid I loved the Marlins teal crown/black brim a lot because it's the cap I owned and wore more than any other cap but now I own an inverted one like the one above and it looks way better to me.

This is the correct take. 

spacer.png

15 hours ago, nash61 said:

And Boston was April 6.

The difference, though, is that the NHL program involved the entire league, while the MLB one — for this year, at least — only involves seven teams. 

The plan from the outset was to eventually make this a league-wide program. I'd guess when that happens, we'll see a big simultaneous release prior to the season, like we saw with the NHL this year.  But for this year, I think the gradual dispersal of these unveilings actually enhances the impact by giving each individual set its moment in the spotlight without the noise of a big, league-wide unveiling.  On this board alone, we spent more than a week nitpicking these releases individually. We'll do the same with subsequent ones. 

11 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

The difference, though, is that the NHL program involved the entire league, while the MLB one — for this year, at least — only involves seven teams. 

The plan from the outset was to eventually make this a league-wide program. I'd guess that, when that happens, we'll see a big simultaneous release prior to the season, like we saw with the NHL this year.  But for this year, I think the gradual dispersal of these unveilings actually enhances the impact by giving each individual set its moment in the spotlight without the noise of a big, league-wide unveiling.  On this board alone, we spent more than a week nitpicking these releases individually. We'll do the same with subsequent ones. 

Exactly. If you want a big, singular moment where each fan base is talking about their own team’s uni for a week, you launch them all at once. If you have a big set of unis with some duds, this is a good way to “hide” those.

If you want everyone talking about each uni when it comes out, you launch them individually. This approach works better if you feel confident that every uni in the set has the impact or appeal to get people interested; you can’t have any “meh” unis in the collection if you’re launching individually, in my opinion. Gotta elicit a strong reaction to make that strategy effective.

I think you can also make the argument that the big moment does drive interest and create impact, though, so really, you just have to decide what’s best case by case.

I think it’s reasonable to launch a league-wide program all at once and a seven-team program throughout the season.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

On 5/25/2021 at 12:54 PM, andrewharrington said:

Exactly. If you want a big, singular moment where each fan base is talking about their own team’s uni for a week, you launch them all at once. If you have a big set of unis with some duds, this is a good way to “hide” those.

If you want everyone talking about each uni when it comes out, you launch them individually. This approach works better if you feel confident that every uni in the set has the impact or appeal to get people interested; you can’t have any “meh” unis in the collection if you’re launching individually, in my opinion. Gotta elicit a strong reaction to make that strategy effective.

I think you can also make the argument that the big moment does drive interest and create impact, though, so really, you just have to decide what’s best case by case.

I think it’s reasonable to launch a league-wide program all at once and a seven-team program throughout the season.

Unfortunately, Boston was definitely a "meh" uni. Miami would've been a better one to unveil first.

10 hours ago, sportsfan7 said:

Unfortunately, Boston was definitely a "meh" uni. Miami would've been a better one to unveil first.

Boston was not a “meh” uni. It made national news and had this topic on fire for weeks. I’d even argue that the intensity of the reactions made it less “meh” than the Marlins’ offering, despite being much less attractive and barely baseball-related.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Late to the party, but I prefer Miami's to Boston's. Boston's just didn't fit at all with any part of the Red Sox's historic brand. With the Marlins? Well...

Not only is the brand not historic but the City Connect unis don't deviate as far. It's a unique look to be sure, but they could fit alongside the Marlins' primary home-road-alternate set as an out-there entry in the rotation. 

6 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

Boston was not a “meh” uni. It made national news and had this topic on fire for weeks. I’d even argue that the intensity of the reactions made it less “meh” than the Marlins’ offering, despite being much less attractive and barely baseball-related.

I won't disagree that it had this topic on fire, but it seemed like the reactions were generally negative. Meanwhile, the Marlins uniform generated less discussion, but was well received.

7 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

I agree not a meh uni. It was a crap uni.

28 minutes ago, sportsfan7 said:

I won't disagree that it had this topic on fire, but it seemed like the reactions were generally negative. Meanwhile, the Marlins uniform generated less discussion, but was well received.

I think we agree, but we have different working definitions of “meh” lol. I’m sure there’s a better term.

I meant “meh” as in not a huge amount of chatter, the opinions mostly swing one way, many people are just taking a look and moving on, etc. Of course, club history, brand strength, all that stuff is a factor in why Boston’s got a much stronger reaction, but aesthetically, even just the fact that it was a yellow jersey was pretty out there for baseball.

They definitely launched with the right one to get people talking. The Miami one is essentially just a nicely-done fauxback by comparison, no?

1 hour ago, andrewharrington said:

I think we agree, but we have different working definitions of “meh” lol. I’m sure there’s a better term.

I meant “meh” as in not a huge amount of chatter, the opinions mostly swing one way, many people are just taking a look and moving on, etc. Of course, club history, brand strength, all that stuff is a factor in why Boston’s got a much stronger reaction, but aesthetically, even just the fact that it was a yellow jersey was pretty out there for baseball.

They definitely launched with the right one to get people talking. The Miami one is essentially just a nicely-done fauxback by comparison, no?

I suppose from a "no such thing as bad publicity" pov, they picked the right one to start with

Archived