Nike Launches New MLB City Connect Uniform Series

Ehh…this one’s not doing it for me. It has the look of the kind of gear you see at mall kiosks that didn’t have rights to logos/name, but tried as hard as it could to get as close it could (if that makes sense). I’m also not fond of the door opening for names on the front of the jersey that aren’t the city or team name. We’ve seen the mess that’s caused in the NBA and MiLB, and I’d really rather that not take off in the MLB.

Just about the only thing I like about this set is the reverse-color pinstripes, but that’s really it. As a whole, I think this is the second miss in the program after Boston. Miami’s still the clear-cut winner so far.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like these. Reverse pinstripes, cap, and wordmark all work for me. I have mixed thoughts about the jerseys reading Southside instead of Chicago, but I will give it a pass since it's a two team city.

I still don't like that City Connect exists at all, but these are a solid execution of the concept. Nike is 2 for 3.

19 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Ehh…this one’s not doing it for me. It has the look of the kind of gear you see at mall kiosks that didn’t have rights to logos/name, but tried as hard as it could to get as close it could (if that makes sense). I’m also not fond of the door opening for names on the front of the jersey that aren’t the city or team name. We’ve seen the mess that’s caused in the NBA and MiLB, and I’d really rather that not take off in the MLB.

Just about the only thing I like about this set is the reverse-color pinstripes, but that’s really it. As a whole, I think this is the second miss in the program after Boston. Miami’s still the clear-cut winner so far.

The reverse color rush pinstripes look fine, rest is .... as you said, something I’d see at the mall. With such a rich history of colorful unis to pull from, you think Nike could do better than this. But I can see these selling well to their fans and that’s what they care about. 

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

The only thing I probably don't like on this is the "Chi" on the cap. They should've just gone with a C by itself. I also think black pants actually work for the White Sox considering their already wacky uniform history. 

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

These look fine in a vacuum but the all black reverse pinstripe look, combined with the brick background, means I just can’t get the image of Spencer’s or one of the similar mall stores out of my head. I think they’ll look much better on the field. 

26 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

That’s my biggest fear with this. These uniforms aren’t bad right now (except Boston’s) but give it 5 or so years. Soon MLB will look like the NBA and you’ll have teams eschew far better and more historically-based looks for something like this.

spacer.png

I don't get the camo pattern on the jerseys, but like most, I'm glad they're finally introducing black pants.  

The White Sox were basically the Oregon Football Ducks in how they changed uniforms seemingly every year, and introduced previously-unseen-before designs, but that's all gone away in the past 30 years.  Introducing black pants has always been one very easy way to bring back some of that innovative spirit without damaging the brand they've worked hard to build and maintain.

I think "Chi" is stupid, and I haven't had time to really digest all the rest of it, but if they keep this look but port over their standard chest mark and cap, it would be a great alternate look or them.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I don't like the pattern or "Southside", but the general idea is solid, it still looks like the White Sox, and I do like the reverse pinstripes. I'll give it a 6/10, worse than Miami's but better than Boston's.

the user formerly known as cdclt

There are elements of the uniform I like (the black pants/pinstripes idea is kind of fun), return of the Socks on the sleeve.  But the "Chi" logo, the "SOUTHSIDE" wormark, the superfluous pattern...it looks like a knockoff "lifestyle" branded uniform being sold.  It's just unnecessary.  Is it the worst thing ever?  Absolutely not.  Is it totally unnecessary?  Yes.  It doesn't make me excited to see what the Cubs drop.

53 minutes ago, LA_Angels said:

By far the best city connect uniforms released so far. I feel as if Black Pants is a first for MLB, could be wrong...

The 2019 Players' Weekend unis were full black unis vs. white unis. 

MLB on Twitter: "That's a wrap on #PlayersWeekend 2019!… "

Plus @Marlins93 mentioned the Pirates, from the '70s. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I like 'em, but I also desperately hope they change them after this City Connect thing. For a full-time alt, the black jerseys and pants, white pinstripes, regular SOX logo on the hat and chest would be amazing.

20 minutes ago, dont care said:

These look like something you’d see in a GTA video game. With Chicago’s known gang violence problem I’m not a fan.

Worked for the Clippers:

los-angeles-clippers-nike-city-edition-s

GTA: Windy City isn't a bad idea.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived