Nike Launches New MLB City Connect Uniform Series

On 5/18/2021 at 6:20 AM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

While these uniforms are very good (and are the opposite of the Boston disaster), let's not get carried away.  The best Marlins uniforms were the first Marlins uniforms, featuring the introduction of a new colour that was somehow simultaneously both vibrant and cool, and the beautiful contrasting front number.

April 5, 1993: Florida Marlins victorious in franchise debut behind Charlie  Hough – Society for American Baseball Research    History: Florida Marlins Inaugural Season 1993, Pitchers Edition   Amazon.com: 1993 Upper Deck Baseball Card #479 Florida Marlins:  Collectibles & Fine Art

they got it right the first time. 

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

The minority opinion would be liking the black jersey the best out of that set. I like everything except that black jersey. Numbers should not match the jerseys they're being worn on, even with outlines on them. 

I like the look of outline only numbers, but still the Marlins dont do it for me. Too thin of an outline.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

On 5/18/2021 at 2:03 PM, dont care said:

Am I the only one that doesn’t like this uniform? It doesn’t even refer back to the city like the campaign was suppose to do. If all the connection they need is “well a bunch of Cubans live in Miami so we will made a faux back uniform from a team from Cuba” then count me in the category of being completely against this program. It may be aesthetically pleasing, but it has nothing to do with the Marlins, or even Miami.

You sir, have the enthusiasm of a wet blanket. These Sugar King uniforms are great.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

12 hours ago, Marlins93 said:

These looked great on the field tonight. Here's a photo of the helmet if anyone is curious.

Mets_Marlins_Baseball_54162.jpg

That is the kind of color planning the Marlins should’ve used in their redesign. It’s vibrant and happy, not an overly-dour black and barely-visible color mess.

1 hour ago, buzzcut said:

You sir, have the enthusiasm of a wet blanket. These Sugar King uniforms are great.

What did I do to you to deserve that insult? Ok you like it, I don’t. It doesn’t mean you should call me names. If you bothered to read my post you would have seen I did say it was aesthetically pleasing. I just don’t like the how thin they are going to go to find a connection for a city connect jersey.

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

That is the kind of color planning the Marlins should’ve used in their redesign. It’s vibrant and happy, not an overly-dour black and barely-visible color mess.

Agreed. Considering that the MLB, as a whole, is a rather dark looking league and has a lot of the same colors (red, black, and navy especially), seeing this color scheme is quite refreshing. I wouldn't have an issue if the Marlins just drop black or limit it, and just go with the blue and red featured on this uniform. 

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

On 5/18/2021 at 7:59 PM, VikWings said:

Is it a minority opinion to like the Marlins current set? I hate the unreadable black jerseys and think they need to embrace the teal/"miami blue" a little more but other than that I think they're great. Maybe not on par with the originals but they definitely crap on the first Miami set.

It should be a minority opinion. It's a horrid set. 

The original teal Marlins set was the best they looked, but they chipped away at it until they were the same poor man's White Sox/Yankees as the Rockies. The Miami set had some good ideas but got some stuff wrong and should have included magenta and green.  This stuff? I don't like anything about it at all.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 5/18/2021 at 8:34 PM, SCalderwood said:

I agree that they crap on the first Miami set, no question there.

But to me, it's hard to "like" a set that could be so, so, so, much better, literally just by de-emphasizing (or, honestly, maybe completely getting rid of) black.  That's what makes their set so detestable.   If I'm not mistaken, they only have a black hat, and they have black wordmarks AND numbers on every single jersey.  I don't even think they have an alternate cap with maybe a colored bill or anything like that.  There's just no excuse for such a dull and depressing look.  I want to be able to watch MLB highlights and see a team in those beautiful shades of blue and red and instantly know it's the Marlins.  That's how it was in the mid-90s when they were THE teal team... I think there's something to be said for standing out a little, while still looking fresh.   Why do they want to be so boring?  You're a freakin' 90s expansion team, in MIAMI.  Act like it!

They have a great identity, color scheme, logo, wordmarks, etc.  They have everything else going for them.  They are so close, yet don't want to take the easiest steps in the world - basically, just color swaps - to have a great look.  That's what makes it almost more painful than team whose look is a complete mess.

About a month ago, I saw a car that, by all rights, should have looked cool...but the guy had decked it out in one of the lamest ways I could ever imagine.

Both of the Marlins' identities since going from Florida to Miami strike me as that car whose owner's poor taste doomed it to lameness when it could look so much cooler

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

1 hour ago, dont care said:

What did I do to you to deserve that insult? Ok you like it, I don’t. It doesn’t mean you should call me names. If you bothered to read my post you would have seen I did say it was aesthetically pleasing. I just don’t like the how thin they are going to go to find a connection for a city connect jersey.

What do you propose as a "thicker" connection with the city of Miami than Cuban heritage? I remind you that the Marlins play in Little Havana, several blocks away from Calle Ocho.

On 5/18/2021 at 7:20 AM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

While these uniforms are very good (and are the opposite of the Boston disaster), let's not get carried away.  The best Marlins uniforms were the first Marlins uniforms, featuring the introduction of a new colour that was somehow simultaneously both vibrant and cool, and the beautiful contrasting front number.

April 5, 1993: Florida Marlins victorious in franchise debut behind Charlie  Hough – Society for American Baseball Research    History: Florida Marlins Inaugural Season 1993, Pitchers Edition   Amazon.com: 1993 Upper Deck Baseball Card #479 Florida Marlins:  Collectibles & Fine Art

Too much teal. They got it right with their second set.

28e0fa74887c67cc21025ecd431df915.jpg

16 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

You folks are really sleeping on the color balance used by the Portland Sea Dogs.

The teal bill is very needed when using a black crown.

Their color scheme had to have been inspired by the Marlins' first branding, since the Sea Dogs came into existence as a Marlins affiliate. I always wished that the major league club would experiment with that hat scheme, although I always admired the teal crown/black bill that they wore on the road up until 1996.

Bobble head either wearing a white belt or none at all

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 5/22/2021 at 4:46 PM, SFGiants58 said:

You folks are really sleeping on the color balance used by the Portland Sea Dogs.

spacer.png

The teal bill is very needed when using a black crown.

the lack of silver, and teal brim, make this color balance 1000% better than their parent club’s “man in black” phase. 

On 5/23/2021 at 1:36 AM, shstpt1 said:

I appreciated the fact that they went with matching helmets instead of using the normal black helmets with the sugar kings set

Those matte blue helmets are sharp. 

I think two tone caps look immensely better with the brighter color on the brim than the crown. As a kid I loved the Marlins teal crown/black brim a lot because it's the cap I owned and wore more than any other cap but now I own an inverted one like the one above and it looks way better to me.

Archived