Minor/Independent/Collegiate League Baseball Logo/Uniform Changes

BigMac12

19 hours ago, ~Bear said:

I really like these uniforms and the logo package. The name is....dumb, to be frank, but the brand itself is classy enough to overcome to overly silly name. 

Name makes perfect sense locally.  

Florence has a giant watertower that says FLORENCE Y'ALL.  Why you ask?  Well, it was originally for the mall it's located next to.  But, because they can't advertise for the mall on the watertower, so they switched the M to a Y and...well...now they have a giant water tower that says FLORENCE Y'ALL.  It's truthfully a pretty silly looking water tower.  It's big.  It's red.  It's striped.  It says...FLORENCE...Y'ALL.  But it's undoubtedly Florence.  It's a land marker.

spacer.png

The name sounds silly for anyone not in the region (I've driven past it probably 50 times from Lexington).  But it makes sense for the team who plays directly across the mall and the water tower.  It's what Florence is colloquially known for.  It makes it solid for a Frontier League team.  It'd never work as a national team (evidenced by the questions on it.  No offense either, I didn't know about this semi-monstrosity before I moved to KY), but it doesn't need to here.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, infrared41 said:

If you're familiar with Florence, the name makes perfect sense. My Mom used to live in Florence.  When I was there, "Florence, Y'all" wasn't just on the water tower, it seemed like it was everywhere. No idea if it still does, but the city used to have an annual "Y'all Festival."

Anyway, I love the look and the name. Well done.

13 minutes ago, 1908_Cubs said:

Florence has a giant watertower that says FLORENCE Y'ALL.  Why you ask?  Well, it was originally for the mall it's located next to.  But, because they can't advertise for the mall on the watertower, so they switched the M to a Y and...well...now they have a giant water tower that says FLORENCE Y'ALL.  It's truthfully a pretty silly looking water tower.  It's big.  It's red.  It's striped.  It says...FLORENCE...Y'ALL.  But it's undoubtedly Florence.  It's a land marker.

spacer.png

The name sounds silly for anyone not in the region (I've driven past it probably 50 times from Lexington).  But it makes sense for the team who plays directly across the mall and the water tower.  It's what Florence is colloquially known for.  It makes it solid for a Frontier League team.  It'd never work as a national team, but it doesn't need to here.

My bad, I stand corrected then. I figured it was just a general name, didn't realize it had such a local connection.

Just makes the brand better then. They really knocked it out of the park. 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, ~Bear said:

My bad, I stand corrected then. I figured it was just a general name, didn't realize it had such a local connection.

Just makes the brand better then. They really knocked it out of the park. 

Oh don't feel bad!  Trust me, this giant, fairly stupid looking water tower wasn't even on my radar before moving to Lexington 15 years ago.  I remember seeing it the first time the drive up to Cincinnati and in some mix of shock, awe, horror, came out an uncontrollable laughter of "Wait...what the **** is that thing?!"  Now it's like a cute/funny thing I can tell people who don't live here, or are new.  Glad to see the team use it as a connection.  It's a great name for a local team dredging up local support.  It's a terrible name for national fans because it sounds dumb as hell and like they're trying to be the Redneck Yankees.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 1908_Cubs said:

spacer.png

The name sounds silly for anyone not in the region (I've driven past it probably 50 times from Lexington).  But it makes sense for the team who plays directly across the mall and the water tower.  It's what Florence is colloquially known for.  It makes it solid for a Frontier League team.  It'd never work as a national team (evidenced by the questions on it.  No offense either, I didn't know about this semi-monstrosity before I moved to KY), but it doesn't need to here.

Saw this thread pop up and knew it was a matter of time before someone had to explain the backstory, way to beat me to it. 

On to the actual uniforms. I usually wouldn't like a powder blue pullover for a team, in fact I don't know a single instance in which I have off the top of my head. But man I can't say no to this set, the whole brand is one of the best in the minors. 

All the KY minor league teams all have great brands and I really couldn't ask for less. 

• Like 1

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

I'm normally against name and brand changes, especially since Florence Freedom had a nice ring to it, but that name had nothing to do with the city, was basically a prisoner of the moment decision right after 9/11, and sounds like a million indoor soccer teams. The only issue I have is that it should have been Y'All-Stars instead of Y'Alls. I hope the white home uniform has red pinstripes to replicate the water tower.

8 hours ago, WavePunter said:

"Y'all" is already plural.. the "s" at the end makes it weird imo.. speaking as a very southern individual who says "y'all" quite often..

Maybe it is possessive kind of like the Athletics' "A's" or the Orioles' "O's" are mistakenly so.

Macon Bacon make alternate Macon Eggs marks

June 20, 2020 - 18:31 PM

The Macon Bacon, who normally play in the 15-team wood-bat collegiate summer Coastal Plain League, have cracked open an alternate identity to round out the makeshift 2020 Southern Summer Ball Series. The Macon Eggs will play in the temporary four-team […]

Read More...

• Like 3

On 6/18/2020 at 8:51 AM, JayMac said:

Maybe it is possessive kind of like the Athletics' "A's" or the Orioles' "O's" are mistakenly so.

I always understood the apostrophes in those cases to denote the omitted letters as in other contractions, such at "can't", "won't", and coincidentally, "y'all"..

On 6/17/2020 at 11:24 PM, WavePunter said:

"Y'all" is already plural.. the "s" at the end makes it weird imo.. speaking as a very southern individual who says "y'all" quite often..

As a fellow southerner, plural "y'all" around here would be -- "all of y'all" ... 😅

• Like 5

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

On 6/18/2020 at 12:24 AM, WavePunter said:

I've said y'alls when referring to a group of people. Don't know what that says about me, but I know I'm not the only one of my friends or family who have. 

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

5 minutes ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

I've said y'alls when referring to a group of people. Don't know what that says about me, but I know I'm not the only one of my friends or family who have. 

If that group of people collectively owns something, then it's fine.. like "where is y'all's house?" Otherwise, it seems odd

• Like 1

The Kenosha Kingfish (Northwoods League summer-collegiate) announce they will be playing baseball this year, in the form of a two-team series against a to-be-named Kenosha-branded team.

Name-the-team contest runs until 4 PM Central tomorrow...I voted for them to bring back one of the league's "original five" and 1995 Champions (which you can find on my sig), the Kenosha Kroakers!

spacer.png

• Like 3

bYhYmxh.png

Yeah, cuz the plural of Y'all is All Y'all 🙂

Sorry - should have read the whole thread 🙂

Edited by Sec19Row53
redundant

It's where I sit.

3 hours ago, MBurmy said:

The Kenosha Kingfish (Northwoods League summer-collegiate) announce they will be playing baseball this year, in the form of a two-team series against a to-be-named Kenosha-branded team.

Name-the-team contest runs until 4 PM Central tomorrow...I voted for them to bring back one of the league's "original five" and 1995 Champions (which you can find on my sig), the Kenosha Kroakers!

spacer.png

Submitting "Fielders" because there's no better name if you're making a team from whole cloth to play against you and calling it a season.

• Like 1
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Unless you're addressing two or more groups of people while located in Texas, i.e. "Y'all's done messed up and ticked off the Texas Rattlesnake by drinking all his beer"! Hahahaha!!!! Just kidding.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png