Washington Commanders to debut new NFL identity

DCarp1231

10 hours ago, ManillaToad said:

RIP to one of the greatest sports uniforms ever

10 hours ago, Cujo said:

It was strongly associated with a stupidass nickname. All of it had to go.

10 hours ago, ManillaToad said:

Don't care

8 hours ago, infrared41 said:

If you saw  my post as "trying to pick a fight" you were looking for something that wasn't there. My point was simple, if the team's name is a slur that you (and by you I mean the royal you) wouldn't call someone to their face, it's a bad team name and it needs to go. When someone said that name was the reason it's gone, your exact words were "don't care." What would you think if you were me and you saw that response?

Jumping in where it's none of my business, but in full context, he appears to be lamenting the loss of the uniform, not the name or imagery.  Not everyone communicates very eloquently (and given his posting history, it's fair to say he's a little rough around the edges) so I personally interpreted "don't care" as "I don't care what the reason was for the name change, I'm not arguing that, but the uniforms could have stayed".  Not "I don't care that it offended people and I want it all to stay".  More like "fine, it had to change, I get it, the reason doesn't matter, because I'm OK with it, I just wanted the jerseys to stay". 

I didn't detect any anti-Native sentiments (though I understand someone in that community or any underrepresented community hears things differently and we outsiders all need to be more aware of that), and respectfully, in real-time, I read the response as an attack on ideas that weren't actually expressed. 

Cujo said all of it had to go.  He's simply saying that while the name needed to go, not all of the visual identity had to.  That's a whole other debate, but again, respectfully, I don't think he said or meant what you may have heard.  I'm not in the NA community, and I'm assuming he isn't either, so there's obviously triggers and other sensitivities that outsiders aren't necessarily in tune with, and you're not wrong for how you feel about the subject in general or how you feel when triggers - whether intentional or unintentional are detected, but again, respectfully, from this outsider's point of view, it read a little like a fight was being started where one didn't exist.

In conclusion, the new jerseys suck and are an abomination for a 90 year old team that has done so much over the past two seasons to promote that they're a 90-year-old team.  I still think this is the greatest troll job in the history of the world and that the real 32s are coming later today.  Probably at 3:32.

• Like 12

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The inconsistencies make no sense. Wordmarks, nameplates, gradient patterns/no gradient patterns, use of black, striping, number font. It's like every single uniform is it's own separate design and doesn't make any sense with the others. I think they just sat in a room, saw a bunch of concepts and said "Nice. Let's do it all."  Feels like the Rams design, but worse. 

I will say this makes me feel better about the Guardians rebrand. Although at least Washington didn't make it's logo a football wearing a helmet or something cheesy like Cleveland did. If I can give any advice to Washington fans, you'll get used to it eventually. 

• Like 7

As a fan since the 70s, my thoughts are still disjointed as this terrible look.  The team is burgundy and gold,  period.  Hate BFBS.   The "W" on the front of the black helmet is a "L."  Washington Falcons colors on the away jersey.   Two years into this and they're still making it up as they're going along.  No mascot or fight song - the fans will help  come up with all that.   

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, BBTV said:

he appears to be lamenting the loss of the uniform, not the name or imagery.  Not everyone communicates very eloquently (and given his posting history, it's fair to say he's a little rough around the edges) so I personally interpreted "don't care" as "I don't care what the reason was for the name change, I'm not arguing that, but the uniforms could have stayed".  Not "I don't care that it offended people and I want it all to stay".  More like "fine, it had to change, I get it, the reason doesn't matter, because I'm OK with it, I just wanted the jerseys to stay". 

And I explained to him why I reacted the way I did.

BB52Big.jpg