2022-2023 NHL Jersey Changes

spartacat_12

1 hour ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

spacer.png

Not defending them at all... And if we were all against them, none of us would be going out and spending our money on jerseys... All I'm saying is that, at least in North American sports, they aren't as bad as they could be and when we go out and buy them, they won't be on them. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kiwi_canadian said:

I still don't get all this hate about the ads on jerseys. Yes I agree that it sucks that they have to appear on the jerseys, but the size of these ads are so tiny, that we won't see them during in game action. Only time we will see them is when they zoom in on players during breaks of play or during replays. I really don't see the big deal. Lets just be happy they aren't like the European jersey that are covered in them. On top of that, when people go to purchase these jerseys, the ads won't be on them. They only way you'll get them is if you buy a game used jersey... although I'm not sure if Adidas is doing that anymore if I recall.

Look up close and personal and you'll see why nobody wants that.

I'll repeat my stance on uniform ads again - I get not caring about jersey ads because there's a lot of things in this world that people are very passionate about that I cannot muster the energy or desire to give a single goose's honk about - If you don't care about jersey ads, that's fine. But what I don't understand is arguing FOR jersey ads. The Blue Jackets jerseys look objectively worse with a Safelite autoglass ad than they do without.

Last year when the ads went on the helmets people said "It's just a sticker, it's not like it's a jersey ad. Who cares?" Well now we have jersey ads in addition to helmet ads and people saying "it's just small patch. It's not like it's European hockey. Who cares?" One small ad on the helmet has turned into two small ads, and it really took no time at all. The solution to new cash streams isn't to generally show restraint or to turn them off. If you don't care that's fine, but you cannot deny there's growing visual pollution of our sports uniforms and the days of clean, unblemished uniforms are over. That is sad. It just is. 

To the "why would a company even do that nobody buys something because they saw a jersey ad" or "it's so small, you'll never see it so who cares???" crowd, you're dumb. You are dumb. You think advertising is a billions dollar industry because it doesn't work? LOL get out of here. 

• Like 8
  • Love 1
  • Applause 2

PvO6ZWJ.png

15 minutes ago, Sport said:

To the "why would a company even do that nobody buys something because they saw a jersey ad" or "it's so small, you'll never see it so who cares???" crowd, you're dumb. You are dumb. You think advertising is a billions dollar industry because it doesn't work? LOL get out of here. 

Yeah, people love to think they aren't influenced by advertising....  But how else are they aware of the products, brands, services, etc, that they buy, use, etc.  

it's proven to work and companies will continue to pollute whatever space is available to them.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Sport said:

You think advertising is a billions dollar industry because it doesn't work?

I think advertising is a billion-dollar industry as part of a secret government program to keep meandering screwups gainfully employed.

• Like 3
  • LOL 3

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 3/21/2022 at 6:33 PM, kiwi_canadian said:

Not defending them at all... And if we were all against them, none of us would be going out and spending our money on jerseys... All I'm saying is that, at least in North American sports, they aren't as bad as they could be and when we go out and buy them, they won't be on them. 

This seems to be a fitting time for me to repost what I sent in the '21-'22 NHL thread last year:

spacer.png

• Like 8

The thing it comes down to really is that sports is a business, and literally no business on the planet is going to turn down earning even more money. It's just how capitalism works as a pillar of society; and unless someone manages complete social overhauls, it's not exactly going to go away any time soon. For better or worse, sports teams exist to make money for owners.

The question is when diminishing returns kicks in, and I think we'd hit that point for the NHL long before we get anywhere close to Euro jerseys; because we have an example of an American league that has no care for jersey aesthetics to show that it just isn't so valuable at this level to make coating it worthwhile in the NBA, who have still been stuck on single small ad patches even though they've had them as A Thing(tm) for years now.

• Meh 1
  • Yawn 1

18 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

This seems to be a fitting time for me to repost what I sent in the '21-'22 NHL thread last year:

spacer.png

It's always going to get to the point of learning to live with it since the average fan doesn't give two :censored:s about ads on the jerseys and we are a small niche. We can't change anything as long as the majority of fans don't care. We're just a bunch of angry nerds in our little corner of the internet.

• Like 5

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

3 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

The thing it comes down to really is that sports is a business, and literally no business on the planet is going to turn down earning even more money. It's just how capitalism works as a pillar of society; and unless someone manages complete social overhauls, it's not exactly going to go away any time soon. For better or worse, sports teams exist to make money for owners.

Plenty of businesses will turn down a quick buck if it might cause long-term damage to their brand. The Yankees could make billions if they decided to sell the naming rights to their stadium, but in their minds that would be detrimental to their brand. The Miami Heat turned down a $10 million offer from BangBros to buy the naming rights to their arena. The Broncos rejected a similar offer from a cannabis company.

Obviously these examples are a bit different from jersey ads, but my point is that most businesses do have their limits when it comes to how they make money.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Death by a thousand cuts. Small ad here small ad there until people are desensitized and they can expand their profitability even more.

The teams and the leagues are more profitable than ever. They keep raising prices on everything. Now they're putting ads on the uniforms and charging fans for the privilege of being apart of it.

All of this was planned in a board room years ago and this exact time was chosen for a reason.

• Like 1
  • Hate 1

Less and less do I care for "sports is a business." A Greek restaurant is a business. Pro sports is a heavily government-subsidized distraction apparatus that relies on tribalism and sentimentality. It's like when dullards say "they're a private company, they can do what they want" about Twitter. It's not that simple. Maybe these huge machines that rely on public largesse should have to operate in the public trust a bit more, and part of that should mean not raising ticket prices while whoring out symbols people care for.

• Like 7
  • Love 2
  • Applause 2
  • WOAH 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

59 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Less and less do I care for "sports is a business." A Greek restaurant is a business. Pro sports is a heavily government-subsidized distraction apparatus that relies on tribalism and sentimentality. It's like when dullards say "they're a private company, they can do what they want" about Twitter. It's not that simple. Maybe these huge machines that rely on public largesse should have to operate in the public trust a bit more, and part of that should mean not raising ticket prices while whoring out symbols people care for.

When someone sponsors Tuesday night at the MoMA, everyone gets to walk into one of the top five art museums in the world for free because company x literally bought the tickets as an advertisement. Sports teams want to collect on the :censored:ty name *and* make you pay for the “privilege” lol. 

• Like 5

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

1 hour ago, andrewharrington said:

When someone sponsors Tuesday night at the MoMA, everyone gets to walk into one of the top five art museums in the world for free because company x literally bought the tickets as an advertisement. Sports teams want to collect on the :censored:ty name *and* make you pay for the “privilege” lol. 

The operations cost for one game at an arena/stadium is far greater than operation costs for one night at the museum. 

On a regular day, MoMa has corporate partners and still charges for tickets. 

Having corporate partners and then charging tickets for people to have the privilege of being entertained is no different than a theme park. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Speaking of ads, does anybody know why many teams this year don't have helmet ads? We addressed it earlier in the season and most of us just figured it was just a matter of time before they all had one but some teams are still "resisting" (searching?)

Curiously, a team like the Panthers strike me as a team that could use a helmet sponsor yet they don't have one. And on the opposite end of the spectrum, my Habs and the Leafs shouldn't need it but they got greedy anyway. Could it be that no one actually wants to sponsor them, that they don't think it's worth it? Maybe they're waiting for ad space on jerseys instead?

Maybe, just maybe we can optimistically hope that some teams decide not to go with a jersey sponsor next year?

19 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

Plenty of businesses will turn down a quick buck if it might cause long-term damage to their brand. The Yankees could make billions if they decided to sell the naming rights to their stadium, but in their minds that would be detrimental to their brand. The Miami Heat turned down a $10 million offer from BangBros to buy the naming rights to their arena. The Broncos rejected a similar offer from a cannabis company.

Obviously these examples are a bit different from jersey ads, but my point is that most businesses do have their limits when it comes to how they make money.

Very well said

3 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Speaking of ads, does anybody know why many teams this year don't have helmet ads?

From my understanding, last year most of the companies that were advertised on helmets got those stickers for free. Because of the shortened season, teams would have had to provide partial refunds to in-arena sponsors, as they didn't get a full season's worth of exposure. Instead of refunding these partners, a lot of teams offered free helmet ads instead.

This year those companies had to actually pay if they wanted the helmet ad space, so they most likely balked at the price.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2022 at 3:55 PM, spartacat_12 said:

From my understanding, last year most of the companies that were advertised on helmets got those stickers for free. Because of the shortened season, teams would have had to provide partial refunds to in-arena sponsors, as they didn't get a full season's worth of exposure. Instead of refunding these partners, a lot of teams offered free helmet ads instead.

This year those companies had to actually pay if they wanted the helmet ad space, so they most likely balked at the price.

That makes sense. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Nordiks_19 said:

spacer.png

Seemed inevitable after Fenway Sports Group purchased the Penguins. Here's hoping the uniforms are beauts!

• Like 1
On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?