2022-2023 NHL Jersey Changes

spartacat_12

53 minutes ago, IceCap said:

It's dull, for one. 

If the team from the capital of the United States can't use red, white, and blue then who can?

100%. It's not that the slate blue and gold is a terrible pairing in general. It looks great as evening wear, or on a nice pantsuit, maybe on a golf polo. I just find it to way too muted -- maybe "soft" is a better word -- for a sports brand.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DTConcepts said:

The color scheme is arguably the best thing about those jerseys. It’s unique, it’s eye-grabbing, and it’s undoubtedly D.C. No other city could pull off blue and bronze except the nation’s capital.

Red-white-blue is a generic color scheme. Sure, I get using it in D.C., but why not embrace a unique palette instead of one that  a fifth of the league uses in some capacity?

Blue bronze and white? Maybe. But add the black and it reads to me as pure late-90s dull colours.

• Like 3

Since the Sabres' "retraux" alt has been officially revealed now, I guess I can say that I never liked that identity very much. Even at the time I felt it was just change for change's sake, needlessly throwing a way a perfectly good uniform set just to hop on the trends of the time; namely black or other darker colours, and a mascot with Attitude. It doesn't even look like a Buffalo! And besides, the whole point of the Sabres name - and to a lesser extent, the original logo - was to get away from the obvious "Buffalo sports team named after buffalo" cliche. IMO the only good thing that came from that identity was the "sword in a B" logo, and even then I think the Buffaslug identity used it better.

I guess the fanbase is nostalgic for it, but for me all it brings to mind is a decade of mediocrity, interrupted with two instances of hot goalies carrying otherwise-mediocre teams to deep playoff runs (Hasek in 98-99 and Miller in 05-06), and the bankruptcy of 2002. Beyond its nostalgic value I have to also ask: do we really need another black & red jersey in the league right now? I thought we were doing good with the whole "teams moving away from red & black" thing; Calgary dropped black, Arizona went retro and Ottawa reversed polarity, so to speak; but now in 2 seasons we've gone from 1 black & red sweater, Carolina's alt, to 4: Carolina's home, Ottawa's home, and New Jersey & now Buffalo's alts!

Oh, and since I'm rolling and since it's been brought up as well, I feel almost the same way about the Caps' rebrand from the same era: it was needless and trend-chasing. I did like the blue away jersey it debuted with, even if I felt the white was nothing special, but even that they did away with for an awful black jersey with bronze numbers, which would be almost totally illegible in certain contexts. I think the ol' red, white & blue suits the team & city better, though they do need a better logo still; and while that colour scheme might be thought of as overused, I know of one that's even more outplayed in the year of our lord 2022... ;)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PlayGloria said:

I actually would have liked that Blues jersey if the piping would have stopped when the shoulder yoke stopped. Just cut that yellow piping off at the corner of the white/blue yoke. But I liked the shape of the shoulder yoke. 

T.J. Oshie of the St. Louis Blues warms up prior to an NHL game... News  Photo - Getty Images

I want that jersey so bad! But with Kariya's name on the back. They're impossible to find these days. I've looked everywhere

18 hours ago, PlayGloria said:

I actually would have liked that Blues jersey if the piping would have stopped when the shoulder yoke stopped. Just cut that yellow piping off at the corner of the white/blue yoke. But I liked the shape of the shoulder yoke. 

You may have just given me an idea.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

34 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

It'll be a shame if this doesn't end up as their actual RR. Each color pops off the black base and matches the Golden Knights brand perfectly. The diagonal script looks slick and is a nice contrast from the shield logo that we've seen on the main jerseys thus far.

My only issue is the numbers, due to the font choice, but this would be a great alternate for Vegas. I'm not sure how the diagonal script and font choice ties into the "Reverse Retro" motif, but this would be a fantastic third jersey for the Knights.

• Like 1

On 9/2/2022 at 7:55 PM, Echo said:

Don't know what size you're after, but there's a 2XL available on eBay right now.  They want $235 for it though.

12 hours ago, bowld said:

I have a blank small if interested

Much appreciated but I need a medium or large, unfortunately!

1 hour ago, KittSmith_95 said:

Now we're talking! Teal gear would look pretty cool with the away jerseys I think

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Friedrich Stuart Macbeth said:

And it took a decade for the Sharks to realize that removing the hem stripe and shoulder yoke to make the jersey """lighter""" is the most braindead logic in the entire galaxy.

And then they stumbled right into mono-teal for their home look while still not bringing in the silver people wanted, so it's one step forward and two steps back.

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

And then they stumbled right into mono-teal for their home look while still not bringing in the silver people wanted, so it's one step forward and two steps back.

They’re removing orange from the color scheme entirely and you’re still complaining?

I actually really like this move for the Sharks. It moves the brand forward nicely while still invoking the team’s history.

Someone earlier in this thread used “Retreaux” to describe a different jersey, and I like it. I’d much rather see teams taking the Sharks/Leafs approach to rebranding — moving forward while looking back — than see teams take the Coyotes/Flames/Islanders/Oilers/Penguins approach and slapping an old jersey on a new template.

Good on the Sharks. More retreaux.

• Like 1