College Football 2022

Kevin W.

1 hour ago, Germanshepherd said:

Random thing I saw that pissed me off 

Montana State had their yellow-out “Gold Rush” game…against McNeese State, who heavily features yellow in their set. 

They could’ve chose any other opponent, but had to go with the one that was toughest on the eyes. 

Repeat after me. Teams don't care about what the opponent is wearing when they select their uniform.

Notable exception-those teams who think the Dallas blue jerseys are jinxed (narrator voice - the Dallas blue jerseys are not, in fact, jinxed).

• Like 4

It's where I sit.

2 hours ago, Germanshepherd said:

Montana State had their yellow-out “Gold Rush” game…against McNeese State, who heavily features yellow in their set. 

They could’ve chose any other opponent, but had to go with the one that was toughest on the eyes. 

At least the helmets weren't the same color for both teams...and I'm having visions of the visual nightmare that was Notre Dame @ Georgia Tech in 2006. 

• Like 1

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

2 hours ago, Germanshepherd said:

First home game of the year is always Gold Rush. Everyone wears yellow, and we wear yellow jerseys with white helmets. It was a little rough with such little contrast, but we would not move the game just because we are playing a yellow heavy team. In previous years the opposing team has actually worn their dark uniforms to contrast, but starting last year teams have started wearing white. I think McNeese wearing blue would've helped a little

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

Sorry, I'm on an iPad

1 minute ago, MNtwins3 said:

First home game of the year is always Gold Rush. Everyone wears yellow, and we wear yellow jerseys with white helmets. It was a little rough with such little contrast, but we would not move the game just because we are playing a yellow heavy team. In previous years the opposing team has actually worn their dark uniforms to contrast, but starting last year teams have started wearing white. I think McNeese wearing blue would've helped a little

I was unaware it was a first-game tradition, and I agree that McNeese should’ve worn blue then. Good to know. 

• Like 1

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

7 hours ago, nuordr said:

The best thing about this matchup was that a traditional looking team destroyed a modern looking team. However, I have a had time saying Oregon's uniforms are "modern" because Penn State, Texas, and Notre Dame have done plain pants for years. 

Just because the design cycle has shifted to plain pants doesn’t mean they aren’t modern

• Like 1

On 9/4/2022 at 7:44 AM, 4_tattoos said:

Visual of what North Carolina A&T decided to wear last night.

Football - North Carolina A&T

And here's a pic of the spiked collar helmet striped Bowie State (D2) now wears that I posted about yesterday.

BOWIE STATE FOOTBALL 🏈 (@bowiestatefb) / Twitter

I like that Bowie State went with something like this. I hope it's something they keep for the foreseeable future, but I know how often uniforms can change. 

• Like 2

On 9/4/2022 at 8:12 PM, oldschoolvikings said:

*Excepting Hockey.

Agreed. In hockey, refs routinely call over captains (or alternates) to explain a call or addressing behaviors they want to end. I’ve always assumed that by rule, only Cs and As could formally address the refs to complain about calls or seek explanations, which is one reason why goalies rarely wear a letter. So it makes sense for the hockey refs to be able to identify the Cs and As.

I’m a lifelong football fan, and I don’t see the same logic applying to football. Maybe my perception is wrong here, but other than the coin toss, to refs ever specifically address the team captains? Do refs ever need to know who the captain is? I figure they just assume whoever comes out for the toss is the captain.

• Like 3

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Here are some teams that changed their logos over the last two years that made their debut on their football helmets: 

Akron: 

spacer.png

Gardner-Webb: 

spacer.png

North Alabama:

spacer.png

Taylor: 

spacer.png

Vanderbilt: 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Allegheny: 

spacer.png

Utica: 

spacer.png

• Like 5

spacer.png

On 9/5/2022 at 12:24 PM, Germanshepherd said:

As an MSU alumni, I don't particularly like these sets. The helmet is ok, but there are better throwback uniforms they could have worn.

You'd think that the equipment managers for each team would have gotten together and better coordinated to make it easier on the eyes and the game film.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

And now for the stills...

Screen-Shot-2022-09-06-at-12.04.15-PM-1.

rawImage.jpg

Screen-Shot-2022-09-06-at-12.13.03-PM-1-

A4hHnwcxNuyMiKoJ.jpg

AND... of note from the Saturday Down South writeup on these one-offs--well, two things:

Artemis 1 is set to launch within the year, representing the first space flight in NASA’s Artemis program. Conversely, Sept. 12 will be the 60th anniversary of John F Kennedy’s famous moon speech at Rice University in 1962.

And... everyone's favorite trend:

...a silver helmet with numbers on one side and ‘Rice’ on the other in the moon-themed font.

I don't know what about the moon inspired that font, but I'm certainly not over the moon about it...I do like that R patch, though. 

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

32 minutes ago, tBBP said:

And now for the stills...

Screen-Shot-2022-09-06-at-12.04.15-PM-1.

rawImage.jpg

Screen-Shot-2022-09-06-at-12.13.03-PM-1-

A4hHnwcxNuyMiKoJ.jpg

AND... of note from the Saturday Down South writeup on these one-offs--well, two things:

And... everyone's favorite trend:

I don't know what about the moon inspired that font, but I'm certainly not over the moon about it...I do like that R patch, though. 

Out of all the space/NASA/sci-fi fonts they could have picked, they pick the one that won't be that legible on the football field. Yikes.

It's also been echoed earlier, but I would agree with the sentiment that the space-themed alternate craze in college football has run its course. It was cool when UCF did it each year, but then everyone else hopped on the bandwagon for reasons, and now everything is blurring together. Nothing really feels original about it anymore.

• Like 5

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

Spotters and broadcasters are going to have a field day with those Rice "uniforms." 

I just don't understand, how anyone looked at those and said "yes." 

I'm also so tired of all these one-offs. Rice *should* have some of the classier uniforms in college football, instead they are only getting attention when they do something like this. That's kind of a major issue -- a lot of small programs have taken the Oregon route to be "seen," meaning if you are an average fan you may not even see more than 2 plays of a school all year -- but you might see their uniform reveal video 5 times over. 

If the uniform reveals are only for wonky things, the "identity" of these smaller schools ends up going by the wayside. I mean, when it comes to G5-and-lower schools, I honestly can't think I am even caught up on how half of them look anymore off the top of my head. Instead of standing out, like Oregon did, these schools are all just mucking themselves up into one bad "LOOK AT US" casserole that nobody wants a piece of.

• Like 4

meh, I like the Rice unis. I think the font is interesting. I do wish the cutoff on the C was the same size as the R, I, and E, but I get it. I dont get the center stripe on the helmet, but I think rice should take this and own it. 

Personally I think their current wordmark on their chest is bland and boring. 

Leave the Old English R to Baseball. 

Really like the R-Texas Patch on the pants.  

My opinion, I'm not out here to change anyone's mind.