College Football 2022

Kevin W.

On 9/3/2022 at 2:41 PM, 4_tattoos said:

Really wish Appalachian State would go back to using the white A decal on their helmets.

Also, UCF unveiled a new pair of "gold" pants that weren't shown in their uniform reveal. Personally, I would love for UCF to embrace gold like they did during the 2000s with O'Leary and Bortles. I would also have made the Pegasus gold instead of silver (along with using a richer shade of gold, preferably the one that is their official colors) and kept the stacked UCF on both sides.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, kb105 said:
 Also, UCF unveiled a new pair of "gold" pants that weren't shown in their uniform reveal. Personally, I would love for UCF to embrace gold like they did during the 2000s with O'Leary and Bortles. I would also have made the Pegasus gold instead of silver (along with using a richer shade of gold, preferably the one that is their official colors) and kept the stacked UCF on both sides.

Those pants aren't gold, they're "pearl champaign" or "aged linen" or whatever silly name Nike gives their colors these days. It's unfortunate because this shade of gold just doesn't look gold. It doesn't need a metallic sheen to be gold either, they just need to darken it a bit.

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

5 hours ago, RealSimsShadY said:

Such a waste for a day game. These would be awesome at night. GO COUGS!

The Ducks script out their weekly uniform combos during the spring or early summer, so this uni was literally picked months before the kickoff time was announced for this game. They very rarely deviate from the combos that are planned out in the off-season. In this case these uniforms may have originally been planned for last week’s game, as they switched the fan color from black to yellow last week due to heat, but my guess is this was the planned combo for this matchup against BYU all along and the fan color was/is irrelevant to the uniform color (as has often been the case in recent years).

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Update on Georgia: they weren’t teasing anything apparently. Doesn’t seem like the best use of social media seeing as everyone interpreted as a uniform change. Still a great looking uniform, but we can still wear red britches once or twice a year on the road and be traditional.

spacer.png

Let’s make it happen.

spacer.png

• Like 2

UGA used a three second video of a player in uniform darkened out with eyeball emojis to simply tease a 20 second video of no substance. 

That's an all-time hilarious troll job or short-sighted mistake from someone over there considering how uniform tweaks are received in Athens. 

I can't even say I am disappointed because as fun as UGA actually introducing alternate garments *could* be, I don't trust any equipment managers or the inertia of player input and trends enough. 

• Like 1

On 9/15/2022 at 9:15 AM, Clintau24 said:

Soooo, yea this one's been crazy. The photo of the orange mask with jersey material was only posted on Instagram, so they kinda buried it a bit. Turns out that's just the sleeve stripe on a navy jersey. 

I've confirmed that Auburn doesn't even have orange jerseys. It's not happening. A lot of fans are upset now because of the hype and playing it up from the football team, the staff members changing their profile images to orange, the other Auburn teams sharing how much they love orange jerseys, and so on. It's a risky move, but the hype and engagement were incredible. Even for me and I didn't engage all that much.

And for the humble plug, here's an article I wrote a few years ago about the history of Auburn's orange jerseys when they returned in 1978. There's always a lot of misconceptions around them.

Seems very similar to when Notre Dame started their "Irish Wear Green" campaign, and then didn't wear green.

Speaking of which...

On 9/15/2022 at 2:55 PM, mbannon92 said:

Notre Dame adding white NOBs to their green jerseys for this weekend’s game against Cal. 

If they’re gonna stick with the navy numbers, they should have made the NOBs gold - that white sticks out like a sore thumb. 

The white names show just how terrible those blue numbers are. Blue on green works fine for merchandise, but is absolutely abysmal for on-field visibility. Everybody told them the first time they wore these, and again when they announced green was returning. Yet ND and UA continue to be stubborn and stick with their flawed brand consistency. I wonder if they'll wear blue socks like they did last time, which made it even more of a mess.

• Like 1

spacer.png

Huskers going with striped pants for the 2nd straight week. I had seen the home version of what they wore vs Oklahoma (striped pants, gray facemask) at the facility this week. I would imagine that would be the route today. Should be a good looking game.

Edit: Kickers just trotted put in red facemasks. Seems like a new standard uniform policy after the departure of Frost. Plain pants were his preference.

• Like 1

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

They did striped pants for Oklahoma last year, with grey facemasks to honor the game of the century. 

This could be that, but red facemasks signal this as a more permanent change. Especially since Frost played with stripeless pants, and Mickey played with stripes. 

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

10 minutes ago, GFB said:

Is the double red pant stripe the preferred look for Husker fans? In my head, a single red stripe to match the helmet makes the most sense, but maybe I’m ignorant of some tradition.

There’s no real consensus, I don’t think most fans care too much about the pants as long as the jerseys and helmets stay pat. 

• Like 1

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

50 minutes ago, Germanshepherd said:

There’s no real consensus, I don’t think most fans care too much about the pants as long as the jerseys and helmets stay pat. 

Thanks! If it were up to me, the white pants would have a single red stripe and the red pants would have the double white stripe… but the Huskers struggle with many of the same consistency issues that the Indianapolis Colts run into, so there’s only so much you can do about it.

FSU wore white helmets last time ... first time ever?

What went right, what went wrong on defense for Seminoles vs. Louisville -  Tomahawk Nation

FSU vs. Louisville: Halftime updates, score, stream, news - Tomahawk Nation

Previous road looks:

RIGHT AT HOME

Florida State vs. Miami (Oct. 9, 2010)

So to recap:

-helmet color is clear downgrade over gold

-facemask color is clear downgrade over red

-helmet logo is not improved, IMO a downgrade since it changed a classic

-jersey design (patterns around collar and sleeves) is clear downgrade over previous set

-font is a tossup (both unique enough but not too wild)

-pant color is clear downgrade over either gold or red

-logo on hip is smaller now

If anyone responds in emojis or says something about ice ... I'll smite thee!

• Like 1

That's an absolutely spectacular shade of green that Notre Dame is using for that jersey. In sunny hi-def? Amazing. Too bad about the numbers.

If the numbers were gold, trimmed in white, and the ND logo was navy, trimmed in white, that would be the best alternate uniform in CFB.

• Like 3