College Football 2022

Kevin W.

3 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

You’re close, but really that’s one more pair of pants than is necessary. 

Well you're living up to your username. I think it's team dependent and two pants is fine or even necessary for a lot of them. I'm also willing to make an exception for alternate helmets if it's part of an overall alt design rather than just another mix-n-match option.

On 9/20/2022 at 8:16 PM, -Akronite- said:

Well you're living up to your username. I think it's team dependent and two pants is fine or even necessary for a lot of them. I'm also willing to make an exception for alternate helmets if it's part of an overall alt design rather than just another mix-n-match option.

I’m to the point where I’d like to see teams say “eff it” and start up Psych-Out Saturdays, where Notre Dame takes the field in Miami Hurricanes colors, Michigan wears scarlet and grey, Oklahoma throws on some burnt orange and white, and LSU wears Alabama colors.  

Wait, mods, delete this post.  I don’t want to give Nike, Adidas, etc. any crazy ideas.  

• Like 1

I miss when helmets could basically be used in place of logos for teams in graphics in such, but when teams change them up every game that goes away completely. 

When I was younger, my cousin had a collection of mini-helmets for all cfb that I thought was so cool, and I wish something like that was still doable nowadays. 

Although, there have been some really good alternates over the years, so I’m willing to allow one game a year to go crazy. 

• Like 2

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

19 hours ago, NH4 said:

Ohio Sate officially announces they're going all-black vs Wisconsin this weekend

So it'll be an all-black vs all-white matchup

FdHSY2AWAAAaGRw?format=jpg&name=small

FdHSLv0WAAE2c_n?format=jpg&name=small

At least they aren't going with all grey or scarlet britches for this game. I want to think those pants went away but I know they're still out there, just waiting for something stupid like the Michigan game. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

16 hours ago, -Akronite- said:

You're right about the pants being necessary in some cases. Maybe. A single pair of pants of the correct light color would work for every team, IMO.

Regarding the second point - how would you differentiate an 'overall alt-design' rather than 'just another mix-n-match'. I think I follow you, but I'm curious.

It's where I sit.

6 minutes ago, WestCoastBias said:

Looks like Oregon State is going with their orange uniforms for the USC game this weekend. The Beavs do have a history of knocking off highly ranked Trojans at home while wearing orange...

They’re very likely gonna go black/orange/black, which is the combo they wore in 2008 when they beat the then-#1 ranked Trojans. If so, it’ll be just the second time for them wearing that combo with their current set (the first being last year against Idaho). Personally, I’m hoping they go black/orange/cream, which they haven’t worn yet with this set. They wore black/orange/white in their 2010 win over USC.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

5 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

They’re very likely gonna go black/orange/black, which is the combo they wore in 2008 when they beat the then-#1 ranked Trojans. If so, it’ll be just the second time for them wearing that combo with their current set (the first being last year against Idaho). Personally, I’m hoping they go black/orange/cream, which they haven’t worn yet with this set. They wore black/orange/white in their 2010 win over USC.

I'd like to see black/orange/black, it just feels like the right combo for a night game.

Knowing OSU and they reluctance to mix and match with this uniform set though I wouldn't be surprised if it was black/orange/orange. 

3 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

You're right about the pants being necessary in some cases. Maybe. A single pair of pants of the correct light color would work for every team, IMO.

Regarding the second point - how would you differentiate an 'overall alt-design' rather than 'just another mix-n-match'. I think I follow you, but I'm curious.

As an example, my beloved an Ohio State:

Regular uniform

8218bb23-de30-48d6-99a9-d77c830eeb14-AP_

Black alternate

DobbinsJK_191005_001_SabauJamie_Getty.jp

The classic helmet wouldn't work as well with the all-black, and I'd hate to see them pair a black jersey with the classic helmet & gray pants. I get the traditionalists who'd do away with all of it, but I think the blackout is aesthetically cool and fine for once a year. Also, glad it's for a night game this year because the blackout looked pointless in the daylight.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Let's go all the way with brown helmets, gray masks, tan pants, white socks, and black shoes...only differentiator is the jersey.

1 hour ago, -Akronite- said:

Regular uniform

Black alternate

The classic helmet wouldn't work as well with the all-black, and I'd hate to see them pair a black jersey with the classic helmet & gray pants. I get the traditionalists who'd do away with all of it, but I think the blackout is aesthetically cool and fine for once a year. Also, glad it's for a night game this year because the blackout looked pointless in the daylight.

I’m not so sure. I think the classic helmets and pants with the black jersey look fine, and still resonates as Ohio State. On the flip side, the all black is such a departure from their usual look.

spacer.png

I think they could pull this off in a similar way to Notre Dame’s green jerseys or Georgia’s black jerseys where they’re viewed as a classic alternate jersey without having to succumb to the trendy alternate uniform head to toe that looks nothing like their usual uniform. I miss those days when an alternate was just that, an alternate jersey.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, WestCoastBias said:

Looks like Oregon State is going with their orange uniforms for the USC game this weekend. The Beavs do have a history of knocking off highly ranked Trojans at home while wearing orange...

And the combo for OSU is black/orange/black...

And like @upperV03 mentioned, it's a callback to 2008 when the unranked Beavs upset #1 USC in Corvallis. Also, with their impending move to the B1G this is very likely the last time USC ever plays at Reser Stadium. All I got to say about that is... Go Beavs.

spacer.png

• Like 4

15 hours ago, -Akronite- said:

Regular uniform

Black alternate

Thanks. I disagree that the game being at night makes the blackout uniform any better, but that's my personal preference.

You pick a great team (and in fact photo) that I would use to point out why I hate alt uniforms. I think the Ohio State uni is a classic and I wouldn't touch it.  At least Michigan State is in school colors in the photo (needs more green). When I think of Ohio State, I think 'scarlet and grey'. This picture isn't that. This picture could be (probably) a dozen teams who wear black and red. Ohio State isn't a black and red team.

• Like 1

It's where I sit.

19 hours ago, -Akronite- said:

They've pulled out silver on black for the spring game, and I don't think it's a horrible look, but it is not as good as the standard home/away sets, and the all-black is certainly much better from an alternate standpoint.

Ohio State's 2020 Spring Game Scheduled for April 11, Spring Practices to  Begin Week of March 2 | Eleven Warriors

• Like 2

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

5 minutes ago, SSmith48 said:

They've pulled out silver on black for the spring game, and I don't think it's a horrible look, but it is not as good as the standard home/away sets, and the all-black is certainly much better from an alternate standpoint.

Ohio State's 2020 Spring Game Scheduled for April 11, Spring Practices to  Begin Week of March 2 | Eleven Warriors

Silver numbers on the black would really improve the look. 

UNLV Football on Twitter: "We are debuting our black uniforms for our game  against @UCLAFootball this Saturday. #UNLVFB http://t.co/rtb5yxTTIx" /  Twitter

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

18 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

I’m not so sure. I think the classic helmets and pants with the black jersey look fine, and still resonates as Ohio State. On the flip side, the all black is such a departure from their usual look.

spacer.png

I think they could pull this off in a similar way to Notre Dame’s green jerseys or Georgia’s black jerseys where they’re viewed as a classic alternate jersey without having to succumb to the trendy alternate uniform head to toe that looks nothing like their usual uniform. I miss those days when an alternate was just that, an alternate jersey.

I can appreciate the difference of opinion here. On the one hand, that doesn't look too egregious. But to me, this feels a bit like the black is invading the classic set. I don't mind an alternate being a full blown new look instead of just doing their usual uniform a little worse. Sometimes alternate colors feel right (Notre Dame is a perfect example), sometimes a clashing set feels right. I feel like if Ohio State went the just jersey route, they might feel more inclined to wear it multiple times a year which I do not want.

I'll also note for those discussing proper team colors, I'd tweak the blackout to make the gray more prominent for sure. 

The helmets with the scarlet stickers are hot af. The icy white and all-scarlet looks are also... fine... for once in a season. As long as they don't overdo it and bring out the gray stripes come playoff time, I'll be content.

• Like 1