College Football 2022

Kevin W.

5 minutes ago, guest23 said:

If they actually had a true primary home uniform GGY would be my pick. It's a shame it's the rarest combination.

I personally prefer Y/G/Y, but with their current set the green lids work way better with the green jerseys than the new yellow lids w/ black accents. I have no idea why the GGY has been such a rare look because it absolutely is one of their best. Same can be said for GWY, which somehow hasn’t been worn since like 1971.

• Like 1

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

My counter to all of this SEC mascot discussion would be that I view the teams mostly by the university name. Unlike professional sports where the match up is the Falcons vs the Saints, for college football, it’s mostly viewed as Georgia vs Auburn. Sure, it’s also the Bulldogs vs the Tigers, but it doesn’t seem too dissimilar to the way it’s handled in European soccer. Arsenal may be the Gunners and Manchester United may be the Red Devils, but those nicknames aren’t used as the primary identifier for the teams. Same with college football.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, aawagner011 said:

My counter to all of this SEC mascot discussion would be that I view the teams mostly by the university name. Unlike professional sports where the match up is the Falcons vs the Saints, for college football, it’s mostly viewed as Georgia vs Auburn. Sure, it’s also the Bulldogs vs the Tigers, but it doesn’t seem too dissimilar to the way it’s handled in European soccer. Arsenal may be the Gunners and Manchester United may be the Red Devils, but those nicknames aren’t used as the primary identifier for the teams. Same with college football.

Thank you for saying this. My body is physically pained whenever I have to hear someone at work talking about the “Hawkeye” game. I know it’s the same thing, but it just feels wrong. They’re Iowa. That’s how my brain sees it as correct. I have no valid reason for saying so, but it’s reassuring to see that someone else’s opinion can validate my own.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

3 hours ago, jn8 said:

Thank you for saying this. My body is physically pained whenever I have to hear someone at work talking about the “Hawkeye” game. I know it’s the same thing, but it just feels wrong. They’re Iowa. That’s how my brain sees it as correct. I have no valid reason for saying so, but it’s reassuring to see that someone else’s opinion can validate my own.  

Understood. But in some places where the pro sports teams are called by the state’s name, you have to use the nickname—e.g., using Minnesota would be completely ambiguous in the Twin Cities, so Gophers it is.

The habit even carries over to in-state college hockey: you have UMD or Duluth, St. Cloud, Mankato, Bemidji, and the Gophers.

• Like 6

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

3 hours ago, jn8 said:

AS an Iowan, I use both. I think there is a context to it, but yes, I do refer to the Iowa games mostly as Iowa, unless talking about the ISU/Iowa game, then I usually say Hawkeyes.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2022 at 3:19 PM, colinturner95 said:

Fdrh8e7XkAAwFjP.jpeg

Boise State going with the throwback logo on a blue shell against SDSU

This helmet looks great tonight. Needs to be in the regular rotation .

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Wanted to throw another tidbit into the SEC nicknames discussion.

I spoke to the former Auburn AD years ago about this very topic. One of the baseball players told me that they wanted to design a new jersey that had "Tigers" on the chest, but it was denied. The AD explained that Auburn was actively marketing the school name over the Tigers nickname, especially since Missouri was added to the conference. There was an intentional effort to differentiate from the other Tigers in the SEC. 

That effort has been rather moot recently as the MBB and WBB teams both have worn "Tigers" jerseys. The baseball team still doesn't have one, much to their chagrin.

• Like 6

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

Alright, Ole Miss...time to go ahead and make the switch on over from navy. They've done this light blue thing quite often over the years and Lane Kiffin certainly seems to favor it judging from the branded apparel he likes to wear. Plus it just plain looks better on the field under the sunlight (to me anyway). 

That said...this probably wasn't the game to do white helmets/pants, being that UK also is in all-white. (Does Kentucky still have the blue shells?) Then again that may be on Kentucky since they're the visitor...? 🤷🏿‍♂️

• Like 3

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Based on that win, I’m assuming we’ll see the Ole Miss Realtree lids again this season.

Ole Miss has the makings of a great set but really needs to clean a few things up. There are several clashing elements that don’t quite feel “Ole Miss.”

1) the Northwestern style helmet stripe doesn’t match anything else in the set and doesn’t have any historical significance.

2) the stripeless pants. Ole Miss pants should have the double stripe down the side. I could accept a pair of stripeless pants (maybe paired with the white jersey) if the entire uniform set made sense but they do so much mixing and matching that it’s a jumbled mess.

3) the powder blue jersey doesn’t quite match the powder blue helmet. The helmet leans to a blue with a hint of gray. The jerseys are straight up powder. The helmet color is what they should go with if they must have matching powder jerseys (but they  have no historical significance). Considering they already have red, white, and navy jerseys, I don’t see them as value added to the uniform.

4) the powder blue can coexist with the navy. The Ole Miss uniform is a classic and comes from an age when everything doesn’t have to be perfectly matching. The navy blue stripe on the pants works fine with the powder helmet. I even liked that time they used the powder helmet with the navy jerseys.

• Like 3

On a whole other note:  Baylor has entered the chat on "Most Garish Uniforms". Head-to-toe yellow...view at your own risk.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Indiana just needs to pull the trigger on making their throwback uniforms the primary set already. They have both home and road versions and currently wear a slightly different version of the helmet full-time. The black gives them more character compared to other similar teams (Oklahoma, Arkansas, etc.)

On the topic of the Hoosiers, I can confirm that their opponents tonight, Nebraska, are going back to striped pants full time which, IMO, is the superior look.

• Like 1

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

21 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

4) the powder blue can coexist with the navy. The Ole Miss uniform is a classic and comes from an age when everything doesn’t have to be perfectly matching. The navy blue stripe on the pants works fine with the powder helmet. I even liked that time they used the powder helmet with the navy jerseys.

I’ve been saying the same thing about UCLA—they should just go back to the lighter powder blue and bring back navy as an accent color.

McNown_Cade01.jpg
la-sp-ucla-protest-cade-mcnown-la0003939

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

40 minutes ago, Mingjai said:

I’ve been saying the same thing about UCLA—they should just go back to the lighter powder blue and bring back navy as an accent color.

McNown_Cade01.jpg
la-sp-ucla-protest-cade-mcnown-la0003939

I always thought it was odd that UCLA had navy on the roads with virtually no powder blue, but as much as I love their current look, I miss the navy more than I thought I would. Honestly? They might be able to pull off a second white jersey in their rotation.