NFL 2023 Changes

DCarp1231

4 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

To be fair it’s more silver than shiny chrome, to match the shell. Falcons and Cardinals also introduced silver masks after the Lions. The Rams should have done a metallic mask instead of regular blue. 

To be fair, they call it chrome, in part to tie into the auto industry.

• Like 1

It's where I sit.

11 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

To be fair, they call it chrome, in part to tie into the auto industry.

If by they you mean the Detroit lions, then they call it silver, which is what they referred to it as in the official press release in 2017. It's definitely not chrome.

• Like 1

It feels weird to see the Lions in anything other that a silver helmet, but that is a great looking helmet. 

I've always loved that logo (and, like @infrared41, I'm old enough to remember when it was use), so it is good to see it resurrected.

Also, a few people posted they could do without the stripes on the helmet.  In case there is anyone who doesn't know . . . the stripes are part of the logo.

• Like 4

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

47 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

Also, a few people posted they could do without the stripes on the helmet.  In case there is anyone who doesn't know . . . the stripes are part of the logo.

Correct.  It's a play on an old Ford Mustang logo... both the car and the football team being Ford products...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 9
  • Love 1
  • WOAH 1

2 hours ago, Eszcz21 said:

If by they you mean the Detroit lions, then they call it silver, which is what they referred to it as in the official press release in 2017. It's definitely not chrome.

Interesting. The first contemporary account I found was Paul Lukas, who called it chrome. The second was a Detroit TV station, which called it silver. The mothership used neither term, but linked to the site below purporting to be the team, which used neither term. 

http://www.detroitlionsuniforms.com/

• Like 1

It's where I sit.

43 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Correct.  It's a play on an old Ford Mustang logo... both the car and the football team being Ford products...spacer.png

spacer.png spacer.png

I was today years old when I realized this connection...and now I feel dumb. 

Pardon me while I go cry in the car truck...

• Like 1
  • LOL 7

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

3 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Let's interrogate that for a minute.

Here's the Lions home uniform in 2002. Now let's see what changes were made:

james-stewart.jpg?s=1024x1024&w=gi&k=20&

2003 - Black added as additional outlining to the jersey numbers, helmet/pants stripes, and helmet logo. Outermost stripes on the sleeves changed from silver/white to black. Facemask color becomes black. That's not a lot of change. It's one of the smallest BFBS designs we saw in that era.

0-season-FDETL-2003.jpg

2009 - Numbers become custom. Lion logo gets additional detail. Northwestern stripes on the sleeve are simplified by filing blue stripe with white. Helmet and pant stripes switch to Ohio State style. This is the biggest change and it's after 7 seasons with the black tacked on.  They didn't even add more black to the uniform.

Matthew-Stafford-Calvin-Johnson-v-Dallas

2017 - Black details on the helmet/pants become blue. Facemask becomes silver. Northwestern Stripes become mono color. Jersey numbers become grey on grey. This is a simplification and reversal of the BFBS trend. Changed after 8 seasons. 2023 will be the 7th season of this iteration.

Jared_Goff_2022.jpg

I don't think the Lions have been chasing fads, aside from the initial BFBS idea. I'd further add that over the three looks from this century, the one that most closely resembles the 90's era is the one I like the least.

You need to remember, the Barry Sanders era uniforms you like so much debut in 1975. So that uniform lasted from 1975 to 2002. So it’s hard to even discuss the Lions uniforms without mentioning the length of their trademark 1975 to 2002 uniforms.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Interesting. The first contemporary account I found was Paul Lukas, who called it chrome. The second was a Detroit TV station, which called it silver. The mothership used neither term, but linked to the site below purporting to be the team, which used neither term. 

http://www.detroitlionsuniforms.com/

I forgot about that site when the uniforms were released. When I was at the reveal in 2017 it was called silver. Here's the link from the lions site that calls it silver as well. I definitely thought it was chrome back in 2017 but the more I saw it and seeing it up close in person so many times it looks to be the same silver as the helmet.

https://www.detroitlions.com/news/lions-unveil-new-uniforms-18737536

• Like 1

I don’t think folks understand what the different finishes mean. Just because something is silver, doesn’t mean it is chrome.

Chrome - basically a mirror.

spacer.png

Gloss - the paint has a clear coat that gives it a shine, yet it lacks any metallic flake.

spacer.png

Metallic finish - a gloss clear coat that also has metallic flake.
spacer.png

Satin - the way that the light hits the paint impacts its appearance, making it look brighter and darker in spots.

spacer.png

Matte - similar to satin, and yet still very different. Because it is a totally flat paint, the color appears consistent across the entire helmet.

spacer.png

• Like 22
  • Love 3
  • Applause 3

5 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Let's interrogate that for a minute.

Here's the Lions home uniform in 2002. Now let's see what changes were made:

james-stewart.jpg?s=1024x1024&w=gi&k=20&

These uniforms are fantastic. Beautiful to look at. All they had to do was make small changes from this to conform to modern templates.

• Like 9

This helmet would’ve looked fine with the current logo in silver, but to combine a throwback logo with a modern Color Rush uniform just looks extremely weird. And to wear it against the team with literally the most silver/gray on its uniform in the league makes no sense. 

Most teams have reached the point that a home prime time appearance automatically equals alternate/monochromatic uniform. It’s sad that on the national stage we rarely see teams looking their best anymore.

I would like to see the gray worn against the Packers at some point. The yellow would at least clash nicely with it, and we still haven’t seen this uniform matchup.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

You missed a fad that they chased. The facemask changed from black to chrome.

Contrast this with changes made by most other teams, and it's a lot in terms of number of changes. This gets at the 'year after year' statement, which I agree with.

Eh, I don't think their current facemask is chrome. It's more of just a silver rather than chrome.

Running a quick glance through the rest of the league, I found that Cleveland and Jacksonville are the only other teams to engage in 3 uniform shifts in that time period (and one of Cleveland's changes was to return to what is 90% of their 2006-2013 design). Unless you count the series of changes going on with the 49ers sleeve stripes, which I do not.

Surprising to me because there have been a lot of designs this century that I would have thought so thoroughly matched for a specific moment that the team would've moved on much quicker (Cardinals, Falcons, Titans).

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I don't think the Lions have been chasing fads, aside from the initial BFBS idea. I'd further add that over the three looks from this century, the one that most closely resembles the 90's era is the one I like the least.

When you lay it out like that, it's maybe not as egregious as it felt in my mind.

However, it's still three major uniform changes in the past two decades, with another on the way next year. And not a one of them was an improvement on what they wore 30 years ago. 

The Bills had a major misstep in 2002 and corrected in within a decade. The Buccaneers lost their minds and reverted to their best look (with minor alterations). The Browns, Vikings, and Bengals have all turned back the clock (ish) instead of chasing the next thing, and they're all better off for it.

The Lions just seem like they don't know what they're doing.  (see also, Arizona and Washington).

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags