NFL 2023 Changes

DCarp1231

3 minutes ago, ramsjetsthunder said:

Please tell me we're getting a Pats/Dolphins throwback matchup in week 5?

Nope. Patriots are wearing their throwbacks against the Dolphins week 2. So both games between them will feature one team in a throwback.

• Facepalm 1

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

1 hour ago, SCL said:

Ruined by lack of dazzle pants.

I couldn’t put my finger on why they felt so… meh. This is why. These pants are gray. Not silver. 

The jerseys are fine, but again… meh. They lost something in translation. I am sure I will be excited to see them

in the sunlight with old field logos and stuff, but right now, as an Eagles fan, they aren’t hitting like I hoped.

I agree the currents could use an update, but a return to Kelly full time would feel like a step back. I love the darker green and always have. It’s been my favorite color since my brother got a dark green Dodge Shadow in 1993 and I thought it was the coolest car ever. 

• Like 6
  • Dislike 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

5 hours ago, ramsjetsthunder said:

Please tell me we're getting a Pats/Dolphins throwback matchup in week 5?

The Patriots will be home to the Saints and the Dolphins host the Giants.

Unless Miami wears the white throwbacks for the week 2 game, they're most likely wearing their normal whites.

I do really like the Kelly green for the Eagles, but sheesh do these jerseys suck. 

The helmet is absolutely beautiful, but I hate how the jerseys have black trim on the numbers, but no silver anywhere, and then it’s all shoehorned together on the pants. I love the shade of green, but that’s about it. If they ever go back to Kelly full time, they need to resign every from the neck down

• Like 1

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

5 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

Eagles didn't always have the shiny pants.

ron-jaworski-of-the-philadelphia-eagles-

ron-jaworski-philadelphia-eagles-autogra

This is true and good context. I think i just had the dazzle pants in my mind and was disappointed that they weren’t included since that is what I grew up with. The more I look at them compared to these the more I like the new ones. They still feel a little flat, but Hoover could be right. Maybe the current template didn’t help in translating them to today. 

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Those uniforms are known for having shiny pants, even if there was a year or two when they didn't (which I didn't even realize).  While this throwback may be a somewhat-accurate representation of a specific year or two, it's not accurate for the era it's supposed to represent.  

Really needed shiny pants.  and maybe shoulda gone a bit darker with the green to account for the difference in the materials.  The Nike green seems a little brighter to me, probably just due to the originals being 100% mesh that got dark easy.

USATSI_9249058.jpg?w=692 seth-joyner.jpgeric-allen-of-the-philadelphia-eagles-lowp9079746.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Really curious if they got the NOB font right.  They couldn't be blamed for going with a plain block, but it would be great attention to detail if they matched the condensed-block of that era.

50296c_med.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

BBTV, as per usual, nailed it. 

30 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

It's nice.  A good looking shade of green regardless.

Personally, I would've preferred the Harold Carmichael uniform. It was in a Superbowl, and is chocked full of disco-70's goofiness.

spacer.png

Modern uniform cuts would do such a disservice to those gloriously oversized stripes.

• Like 7

spacer.png

The only challenge is the "Carmichael uniform" would be pretty difficult to replicate on a modern jersey template. I personally agree with OSV and think it would be worth it to create a cleaned up sleeve and go with it.

You could run the w-g-w stripe both across the sleeve cap and inserted in the sleeve cuff and just leave off the fat middle stripe, which never made sense to begin with. 

Of course, those jerseys aren't Kelly green so there would be no hype ::shrug:: -- I do find the throwback they went with very bland and too similar to the New York Jets of the same era. But throwbacks are still fun. I had fun when the Broncos wore the candy striped unis. I enjoy it all. 

4 hours ago, BBTV said:

Really curious if they got the NOB font right.  They couldn't be blamed for going with a plain block, but it would be great attention to detail if they matched the condensed-block of that era.

50296c_med.jpeg

Based on the "details" posts, I believe they did pay attention to this detail. Specifically looking at Josh Sweats numbers.

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

Since they were coming in so fast, I figured I’d wait until all of the reveals in the Summer of Throwbacks™ appear to be complete before giving my thoughts in a full mega-post, so here it goes:

• Bucs: Absolutely gorgeous. My only issue is the template, which applies to everyone here, and isn’t the team’s fault. If only these had been able to come a year earlier so they could at least start on the Vapor Untouchable.
  • Vikings: Personally, the Vikings’ current set is my favorite they’ve ever worn, save for the white-socks-at-home nonsense they started last year. The throwback itself isn’t bad by any means, but if they were gonna throw back, I’d much prefer they had gone with the 90’s Randy Moss away jersey.
  • Seahawks: Another gorgeous throwback, one of my favorite color schemes in all of sports. The silver pants look nice & dark too which is good, I think the team’s regular gray pants are too light, nearly indistinguishable from white. I think probably still prefer the navy & lime green to be the main set for them, but I’d be more okay than ever if they went to royal/kelly full-time.
  • Browns: I didn’t really like this throwback when it was revealed a year or two ago, just because it was so similar to the regular white jersey, but the white helmet improves it by offering a bit of separation between the two looks. I’m glad they were willing to sacrifice a little bit of historical accuracy to get the classic Browns stripes on there & a brown facemask.
  • Titans: Obviously the columbia blue & red is gonna look good, but I agree with @oldschoolvikings that they should have moved the stripes up to the sleeve cap, even though that in a way sacrifices a bit of historical accuracy. They’re just too small on the cuffs, and they can’t even match the stripe style the Oilers used to wear. I don’t wanna get into whether the Oilers should be the Houston’s or the Titans’ team, but wearing them against the Texans is just mean.
  • Jets: I don’t know, this one doesn’t really do much for me. It’s definitely an improvement over their regular set, as the helmet logo & the removal of black are both positives. But beyond that, there isn’t much there, it feels a bit bland. I honestly prefer the “jet” stripes of their main set to this.
  • Broncos: The white helmet itself looks fine, but all-orange below that isn’t ideal. White socks would help slightly if they go with that.
  • Eagles: Looks good, once again the template is the only main issue. The silver pants look pretty light, I wish they went with the darker shade the Seahawks appear to have. I prefer the Eagles in midnight green myself (although I’d drop black), but the kelly green isn’t bad as a throwback.

and last, and certainly least:

• Colts: I like the vertical stripes, but the rest is bad… real bad. 

Overall, a really good summer for throwback looks, probably the best ever.

• Like 7

45 minutes ago, flyersfan said:

Based on the "details" posts, I believe they did pay attention to this detail. Specifically looking at Josh Sweats numbers.

I disagree.  Sweat's NOB is way too thick.  The originals were borderline difficult to read due to how thin and condensed they were, so I'm not going to kill them for this, but it would have been cool if they replicated that detail.

I will give them credit for getting the notches on the 6s and 9s right.  That's super easy to overlook. 

• Like 1