Arizona Cardinals new uniform extravaganza

CaliforniaGlowin

Just now, HOOVER said:

If they had just rolled out the Black set as Home, and White set as Away, for any Black/Red/Grey team, I think most of us would be applauding these.  

The Red wouldn’t get as much grief if it were just the alternate or Color Rush.

That's the thing though, on top of all the other issues, they also just don't look like the Cardinals. Slapping ARIZONA on the chest for people 30 miles away to see doesn't make you look like Arizona's team.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

spacer.png

Overall these are fine. Much better than what they are coming from. I like the inclusion of silver. It allows them to retain a silver face mask which fits well within their history of gray masks. Speaking of the silver masks, as I’ve already seen it addressed numerous times by other posters, they are NOT in fact chrome. They are silver. Check the photos.

I can see what they’re trying to do with the cardinal jersey. Since they have a history of wearing plain cardinal tops, it makes sense and the discrepancy in style from the white and black doesn’t bother me. This feels more akin to the Giants difference. Whereas a team like the Commanders were bumbling fools and couldn’t decide on a style at all and decided to just use three different ones. At least with these there does appear to be a rationale behind the decision. The word mark is big.

My main issues stem from the lack of contrasting socks and inconsistencies in the logos. It’s bizarre to see a monochrome logo on the cardinal jersey with the full color logo sitting just above it on the helmet. To me, that feels like Louisville who uses that stupid monochrome logo on their primary helmet. It feels very minor league.

If Arizona mixes and matches and can get their socks right (not hopeful), then I’d say this is one of the better redesigns of late. But again, the design loses a few points with the little details.

Edit - I’d probably prefer the white uniform’s striped to have thin black with a thick cardinal stripe. The silver stripe makes it less noticeable.

You can't say the the black alternates are not near matches of each other

Justin-Fields-2.jpg

I know it's not their signature look, but it was the very first thing that came to mind when the unis were unveiled

• Like 9

spacer.png

2 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

The helmet part seems to be the truest part. A few days ago, I suggested an “eggshell-like” design with the specks while @BBTV suggested a slightly different design. @TruColor then acknowledged one of us was right. Seems like my guess held up.

If you look at the helmet under a microscope you'll notice the specks are actually tiny buckeye leaves.

VhHtLas.jpg 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 6

I just want to point out my disappointment in the lack of chrome flakes on the white helmet. I was really interested to see that and to see it sparingly used is underwhelming. Why not go all out like the black helmet with red flakes? 

Matte white helmets would’ve probably better matched the material of the white uniforms while still being unique in the NFL 

• Like 1
NYCdog.png

5 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

The new set is basically a modern version of this. The stripes, the lack of stripe on the red jersey, the facemask being grey/silver. All nearly the same details

Yes, except they managed to take that classic look and suck all the character out of it.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

So yeah.  That about sums it up.

In seriousness there's a lot to like here.

I think they did a very good job of incorporating silver into the palette. They've used in two spots in particular that I find especially useful:

1. Using it on the numbers on the red jersey numbers gives the impression of plain white numbers while avoiding the plain red jersey design they've traditionally had.

2. Using it on the white jersey/pants means you have Northwestern stripes, which the Cardinals used from 1965-1995, that from a distance look like double stripes that the Cardinals used from 1996-204 and from 1948-1964.

Using the black outlining on the white jersey was a great choice. I'm not crazy about big front marks generally but I at least get that its nice to have something on an otherwise plain jersey (I might have gone with the bird head logo on the sleeves beneath the TV numbers). Helmet looks very nice, solid upgrade there without doing much.

I'm hoping we get some more classic combinations: white over red with white socks, red over white with red socks, white over white with red socks. But then that's a risk with every set nowadays.

Solid job. Should look nice on the field.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

The most interesting part now, for me at least, will be hearing more about @TruColor’s rumors he heard & the helmet he saw, even though they clearly turned out to be untrue. I would love to hear as much about that as possible since, as expected, it seems more intriguing than the design we got.

Tru’s description of the helmet was on point, white (check), metallic flakes later implied to be silver (check), non-flat gray, silver metallic mask (check). 

• Like 7

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Just now, ramsjetsthunder said:

Just gonna leave this here. We need to heal.

2020Uniform_12.jpg

How do we even know what team this is if it doesn't have their city name on the front in 6" high letters?? What were they thinking?

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 8

Congratulations, Nike. You just gave a pro team the Adidas college treatment, complete with an A R I Z O N A wordmark that looks like a better fit for a Walmart T-shirt.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

The set is a step in the right direction but still so underwhelming.  The white and black ones are the best of the bunch while the red one looks like they spent all the money on the other two and ordered a plain set from a Nike catalog but just with a huge front wordmark.

• Like 5

The removal of the piping was the only thing good I can take away from these. I guess that alone makes it an upgrade, but by a smudge.

I just can't believe they didn't even change the number font. Did they even put thought into these?

• Like 4

All the buildup on this board, and we get THIS. No maroon. No orange. No helmet flecks. Just what looks to be a toned-down version of the Ottawa #REDBLACKS or whatever they officially are. This place has got to be in shambles right now. 

• Like 2

My initial thoughts are that they simply needed to put the stripes on the red jersey and pants and the wordmark on the white and black jerseys. Would have been both classic and modern, but it feels a bit disconnected between the home vs road/alternate uniforms right now.

That said, considering this was my concept from three years ago, I'm not all that disappointed with the overall direction: 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

It's going to be simple all-red, all-white and all-black with no sock contrast and they're going to look like the Falcons lmao

Boy, go buy yourself a Mega Millions ticket like NOW. 

1 hour ago, simtek34 said:

I mean, I get it....but can we PLEASE retire this trope already? Time to move on past this...

53 minutes ago, Pigskin12 said:

How do teams claim to spend “YEARS” on these things and then unveil something that any of us could’ve designed in a half hour? I heard these were “in the works” back in 2021. What exactly did they work on?

I can tell you this much...it does take a good long while to compile background research. That can easily take months. Now, what an organization does with all that research is a different story...

51 minutes ago, TruColor said:

I will go into more detail later (on vacation right now), but the rumored colors I heard were going to happen were:

Grand Red (209)

Desert Gloaming (158)

Desert Cardinal Gray (421)

Desert Night (Black)

Flagstaff Snow White (White)

Gradient pants, lots of other crazy details.

"Gloaming" must be the color you had to look up.  But isn't 158 basically safety orange??

45 minutes ago, jerrylawless3 said:

I'm not well versed in the standard fonts, but are we sure that isn't just a very bland custom job? The interior corners are kind of wacky.

It's pretty much a slightly altered and slimmed-down version of the same number font the Cardinals have been using for the past two decades.

33 minutes ago, NYCdog said:

Somewhere, Panthers fans, Broncos fans, Texans fans, and Lions fans are now all collectively worried about how Nike will dumb down their team branding with their incoming rebrands. 

Good things the teams can still [choose to] take control...the question is will they???

23 minutes ago, the_grateful_ted said:

Why silver?

Glad you asked. Because we all knew it was due to happen, your unnecessary Nikespeak explanation for all the silver—and perforated numbers—is right here, straight from the Cardinals' website:

"The three main things we focused on were, how do we tell the traditional story and amplify some elements from the past, how do we bring it through the lens of modern-classic so it feels fresh, unique, and different for the franchise, and also how are we inclusive of all the fans in Arizona and the players as well, to get people really excited for what is coming with this uniform?" said Kristi Lauzonis, Nike's design director of licenses and team, who worked on the re-design.

Nike had representatives go to State Farm Stadium and the Dignity Health Training Center, walk around and take photos and use that information as an anchor for the idea process. The details go all as deep as the perforated numbers representing the corrugated metal seen around the stadium, or the one-color logo echoing the palate of the brand, or the silver much like the exterior of the stadium.

So yeah, um...yeah, there you go.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||