Players in the "wrong" uniforms

33 minutes ago, Dnice said:
6 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Do NBA players change teams more frequently than the other leagues? It feels that way.

Pretty much, I can't think of journeymen in MLB they way some hop around in the NBA for 7+ teams and get decent playing time.

In my day, the great Bobby Bonds got that reputation after his long career with the Giants.  From his final season with the Giants in 1974  through to his last season of 1981, he played for 8 teams.

Image result for bobby bonds giants Image result for bobby bonds yankees Image result for bobby bonds angels  Image result for bobby bonds white sox  

Image result for bobby bonds rangers Image result for bobby bonds indians Image result for bobby bonds cardinals Image result for bobby bonds cubs

When the song "Talkin' Baseball" came out, it had a line in it "Bobby Bonds can play for everyone".

Here is Bonds acknowledging his many stops (even though that Giants cap is not the style that he wore).

Image result for bobby bonds rangers

• Like 1

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

4 hours ago, Rj0498 said:

Rodman's teammate. I remember a cousin who wore this jersey

1466528.jpg

This seems more odd to me, especially since it was for just a season -- well 50 games because of the lockout.

6afdcb1fbdca055cba21bb07df954c05.jpg

• Like 2

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

On 2/26/2017 at 10:19 AM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Anyway, this thread jumped the shark long ago, as the recent mention of Shaq in Orlando conclusively proves.  I should flog myself for continuing to contribute to it!

The standard should be Namath with the Rams or Killebrew with the Royals -- teams that no one would associate with the player without the pictorial reminder.  There are only a handful of such cases.

And, by that standard, Meola would qualify, but Jordan would not, because everybody remembers Jordan in a Sox uniform that spring, especially his hit against the Cubs at Wrigley. 

I tend to agree.  I knew it was going downhill many pages ago when the "Rex Ryan in hockey jerseys" photos started popping up. 

I think the intent was things like Namath with the Rams.  But I guess I would not be quite as rigid as you. I think Jordan in baseball works, as does Jordan the Wizard.  Anyone over, I don't know, 25 or so, remember Jordan with the Wizards (similar to Namath, but you'd have to be much older), but it's still the wrong uniform.  But if a guy played with eight teams, I have a hard time thinking of any uniform as "wrong." 

But certainly, the intent was things like Brett Hull the Flame, Ryne Sandberg the Phillie, Cris Carter the Dolphin, Scottie Pippen the Blazer...things that make us say "oh yeah, he played there."  Someone just posted Pippen and I had not thought about that in a long, long time (EDIT; then someone posted Pippen the Rocket and I have even less memory of that).  I'm not even sure I'd put Ray Bourque since we recall him hoisting the cup after his year in Colorado.  That was memorable.  Cris Carter the Dolphin and Harmon Killebrew the Royal were just guys playing another year with little coming of it.

These threads tend to get watered down...Oh well, so be it.

• Like 1

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Man, oh man, oh man ... 

I've been looking for a picture of Bernard King in a Utah Jazz uniform for YEARS and I found it!

He only played 19 games for the Jazz before he got arrested from a New Years Eve tryst involving underage girls, etc., etc. The Jazz pretty much suspended him the rest of the season before trading him to Golden State in the offseason. 

Screen Shot 2017-03-01 at 8.43.40 PM.png

I am pretty sure this is Bernard for a couple of reasons ...

1) The Jazz played Chicago on October 25, 1979 in SLC with Bernard King scoring 6 points.

2) Ricky Sobers also played in that game (the pictured Chicago Bull).

3) Bernard King wore #22 with the Jazz. Pretty sure that second number is a 2.

4) And, well, that is Bernard King.

• Like 6

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

On 2/28/2017 at 0:21 PM, MCM0313 said:

I first knew of Rodman as a Spur, not a Bull. I'd say Detroit, San Antonio, and Chicago would all be right uniforms for him, and the Lakers would be wrong.

mavericks, too.

**edit - i see kimball beat me.. atleast this is in the home version of the uniform + special cameo by young dirk

f98906b4dd05d3aa958e501131d09dda.jpg

sticking with the dallas theme and the random knicks from afew pages ago, dennis scott

250px-Dscott.jpg

this thread may have jumped the shark for some of you, but it's still my favorite on the board.  it allows me to challenge myself to remember/reminisce about the roster minutiae of the 90s' nba and all the cards i used to collect.  

atleast with this thread, i now have a purpose to waste brain space thinking about all the teams tony massenburg played for, haha.

• Like 5

While Philly fans hated him, McNabb was one of my favorite players growing up so, it was nice to have him in minny even if he was mcmuffin by then. And yes even when I was a kid I knew games could end in a tie.

Philadelphia+Eagles+v+Washington+Redskins+S6wZqyhd92Xl.jpg

Donovan+McNabb+Detroit+Lions+v+Minnesota+Vikings+ihZKvUvwhqBl.jpg

As far as being wrong I think in most cases it was where it was short and unremarkable,well  past his prime or before a guy was a known name, like Ben Wallace in Washington or Orlando although some short stints still can be considered memorable like Deion with the 49ers, Waltin with the Celtics, Morris with the Twins. In some cases there may be a matter of less right but still not totally wrong either, in most cases if a guy  played there during his still formative years unless it was like Piazza with the Marlins or Rasheed with the Hawks even though not as right as the team best known for I didn't include for the Knicks Derek Harper, Doc Rivers, No Cheeks, Xavier McDaniel since they still had something left at that point. It seems that with a lot of the guys posted there formative years were relatively steady but moved around quite a bit in their last few years as they mostly got short term deals and wanted to hold on and were broughtin either for veteran leadership or last piece of puzzle a few recent NBA guys who come to mind Tracy McGrady, Antwan Jamison, Jerry Stackhousem Jermane O'Neal, Rashard Lewis and many others in baseball and football.

2 hours ago, VikWings said:

I want the Vikings to drop the matte helmets so they could wear these as alternates again.

Or better the yet the NFL drops that asinine one helmet rule so they can.

Why couldn't they just change the decals and facemasks? Yeah, the satin/matte finish wouldn't be accurate but not a huge deal.