Unpopular Opinions

It doesn't matter that they look like other teams, especially teams in the same city. People talk about how cool it is how the Pittsburgh teams all wear the same colors, so the Kings mimicking the Lakers or Raiders shouldn't be a problem. It's just that some of those looks haven't been good. The gold jersey is great, and the '98 set worked, as well. They've just gone the Dallas route of ditching unique for boring.

All of Pittsburgh's teams going with the same scheme seems more "natural" to me. All the teams eventually came around to using civic colours, and all of the teams found degrees of success in them that allowed them to claim those colours as "theirs" without seeming like one team was copying another. With the Kings and purple and gold/black and silver? It just seemed like they were riding the coattails of more successful operations in the same city. It doesn't seem as "natural" or sincere. Especially since neither gold and purple or black and silver are Los Angeles' civic colours.

As for the purple, black and silver from 1998 to 2011? That abandoned all pretense of civil unity and just copied what a basketball team in Sacramento did. It would be like the Florida Panthers dumping red, navy, and gold and adopting the Carolina Panthers' colours because Cam Newton's popular right now.

So wannabe-Lakers sweaters are better? The Kings have never had a look that they truly "owned." The purple and gold looked like the Lakers.

Well, the Lakers scheme made sense because, at the time, the Kings and Lakers were owned by the same guy (Jack Kent Cooke, who also owned the Redskins), and they shared the Forum.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

kings98.jpg

Agreed, though I think they got even better when they swapped the logos:

Luc.jpg

The player name font could have used work, mind you, but everything else was terrific.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

So wannabe-Lakers sweaters are better? The Kings have never had a look that they truly "owned." The purple and gold looked like the Lakers.

Well, the Lakers scheme made sense because, at the time, the Kings and Lakers were owned by the same guy (Jack Kent Cooke, who also owned the Redskins), and they shared the Forum.

Wow... didn't know that. But honestly, what makes more sense than purple and gold for a team called the Kings? I wouldn't deny that the switch to silver and black was to ride the Raiders coattails, but they had perfectly logical reasons to use purple & gold that had nothing to do with being the "Lakers-on-ice."

Ironically, when they mixed their original purple with the Raiders-era silver and black, they ended up looking like they were cribbing the Sac Kings identity when they had the Kings name first.

Exactly. The Kings have never not been taking a cue from another Los Angeles team or another Kings team. That's why I threw the crap against the wall with a Tampa Maple Wings-esque just purple and just white. No one's doing that. Probably for good reason, but hey.

Incidentally, the Bulls wear black and red to match the Blackhawks (I think the Wirtzes owned the Bulls early on, at any rate, the Chicago Stadium was probably full of red when the Bulls came in) and nobody seems to praise them for civic unity nor slag them for copying. Probably because red and black isn't as distinctive as purple and yellow with yellow as a base instead of white.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

So wannabe-Lakers sweaters are better? The Kings have never had a look that they truly "owned." The purple and gold looked like the Lakers. The black and silver looked like the Raiders. The purple, black, and silver, while a nice attempt to combine both past eras, looked like a hockey version of the Sacramento Kings' look. If any team should "scrap it all and start over" it's the Los Angeles Kings. They have no championships that immortalize any of their past looks, looks which always echoed those of other teams. Truly taking time to devise a scheme that doesn't belong to another team would be to their advantage in the long run. Seeing as they probably won't do that, though, they might as well go with one of their past schemes. Seeing as the team was its most relevant with Gretzky they might as well try to own black and silver in the NHL.

So what would you propose they do? What colour scheme would you advocate and what would you want to be used for a logo? If they start all over, it will be their 4th colour scheme... which by the way is one scheme more than the Canucks had.

Well I suppose I should say that I'm never a fan of the "blow it up and start over" approach. Just that the Kings are, in my (unpopular) opinion, one of the teams that it applies most to. I'd still prefer that they not, and run with the black and silver (with a better logo though), but if any team had to "blow it up and start over" it would be them.

What would I go with if they did? Purple and white, a simple two colour scheme like admiral suggested would be unique. Red, purple, and white would also work. Purely hypothetical, but black, white, and old gold would have been perfect had the Penguins and Ducks not jumped on it.

I'm not sure if this is particularly unpopular, but I think the astros pinstriped uni's are ridiculous. Why pretend you have a storied history that this design feature implies (imagery of the Yankees, Cubs etc...)? Everyone knows they're an expansion team and there whole concept is based around the futuristic space theme, they should embrace this.

I think high socks on baseball uniforms look damn good

And I really like the new USA basketball uniforms, but that might be because I'm from the UK and don't have any emotional connection to the team

Oh is this where you put your teams title successes?

Well let's see, I support Northampton Town FC...

We've spent just one year in the top flight of English football in our entire history and that was in the 60's...

And that's it. We've been around for 115 years and that's all we have to show for it...

Oh, and I like the Cubs. I think I hate myself...

Luc.jpg

The player name font could have used work, mind you, but everything else was terrific.

I disagree. I thought the Shield logo was very clever and fitting, a hockey coat of arms if you will. Also looked better on the jerseys.

Luc.jpg

I disagree. I thought the Shield logo was very clever and fitting, a hockey coat of arms if you will. Also looked better on the jerseys.

I agree with you. The coat of arms made a perfect yoke patch that complimented that beautiful crown. It's a shame these jerseys got tossed away, they were great.

These were the best Oilers jerseys of all time.

6d400bfb52adaa32.jpg

I agree that navy and copper look better than their blue and orange, but the red really threw it off.

I don't know why a lot of teams in the 90s felt the need to add red.

If Gretzky had worn these while the Oilers were spanking the entire hockey world in the 80's then maybe I'd be swayed, but I still can't bring myself to accept the navy. sorry.

I'm still a fan of those navy oilers jerseys. More so than what they have now. I just think the navy and copper look suits the team better. I can't warm to the current set - I mean, its nice, but it doesn't feel right seeing them in bright blue and orange.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

kings98.jpg

Luc.jpg

what the kings should do: use these again, drop the lettering at the bottom and take the pencil logo and place it on the shoulders. for an alternate, look at your 90's or 70's jerseys for inspiration.

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

This was the Predators best jersey...

nashvillepredatorsthird.jpg

i agree 100%. the striping was great and even the mustard had a good feeling to it. i have a kids Nashville mustard jersey from when the Predators came to leafs town (my uncle and i have a tradition to buy a new sweater when we go to a game).

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.